Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 5 2014, 09:24 AM   #151
martok2112
Captain

Re: Lack of female assassins in Assassin's Creed? 'Reality of producti

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post

And yeah, I do plan on playing Last of Us. Just as soon as I get rid of my backlog Currently playing through Arkham City.
The Arkham games rock!
Old August 5 2014, 10:18 AM   #152
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
SPCTRE wrote: View Post
The SO is a huge Tomb Raider fan (played the original trilogy and most of the later games) and she was disappointed with the reboot. Not because of story or characterization but because of the gameplay.

In her words, they made a "guy game" out of it (because of the lenghty stealth and TPS sequences) and completely neglected the actual puzzling and, you know, Tomb Raiding aspect of the franchise. Personally, I enjoyed the stealth and action segments, but I definitely agree that the few "tombs" were ridiculously short and way too easy to solve. Overall, it was still my favorite game of 2013, which was a big surprise to me.

From what I've heard from the devs talking about the sequel, they've taken that criticism to heart, which makes me very optimistic
Now see, that's interesting. I suspect that's a result of the gameplay changing to adapt to modern trends. When the original TR games came out, stealth wasn't even a thing. The Thief games basically created the idea of stealth and sneaking, Deus Ex took it and ran with it and the industry pretty much started incorporating stealth everywhere they could. Implemented well, they can be fun, but if not, they can be really irritating. Shame about the tombs though, as I would be disappointed with that as well. But good to know that she'll be venturing deeper in the next installment.
Yeah, the reboot is on several levels reactive to contemporary game design trends, hence the stealth segments (which are well done, I might add) and the gameplay drawing inspiration from the Uncharted series in many ways.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 12:25 PM   #153
martok2112
Captain

Yeah, the reboot is on several levels reactive to contemporary game design trends, hence the stealth segments (which are well done, I might add) and the gameplay drawing inspiration from the Uncharted series in many ways.
A notion that tends to piss off some of the more ardent TR fans. LOL!

The way I see it, the prior TR series inspired Uncharted, which in turn, with its cinematic flair and gameplay, Uncharted inspired the reboot of Tomb Raider. It's circular inspiration. Not quite "chicken or the egg", but definitely circular.
Old August 5 2014, 02:10 PM   #154
{ Emma Snow }
Where you lead...

I thought the new Tomb Raider game was too easy, too streamlined and too short. But I definitely liked the new Lara. Good look, great voice.
{ Emma Snow } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 02:44 PM   #155
martok2112
Captain

Yeah, the game was rather short....but still mostly well executed.

I remember when I played the very first Tomb Raider (seemingly centuries ago...LOL), it took me weeks to actually beat the game. I mean it was ginormous....and this was on the original PlayStation.

Even the Anniversary remake seemed rather short compared to the very original game.
Old August 5 2014, 08:00 PM   #156
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

martok2112 wrote: View Post
A notion that tends to piss off some of the more ardent TR fans. LOL!

And I could see why it would, but games will often be inspired by other games. It's the ebb and flow of game development. It's funny in the sense that it was the Uncharted series that ended up being most of the inspiration when itself was inspired by TR. The Uncharted series did something amazing. It had big vast dungeons, something you could possibly imagine really existing or appearing in an Indiana Jones movie, but at the same time giving a heavy nod to the TR games with its puzzles, like the mirror puzzle in the second game. It was the aesthetics that in-part drew me in that I kind of wished TR had more of, so maybe future games will have more of that in them? What I mean is, the dungeons didn't exactly look like dungeons in UC but more like real visitable environments.

I'd like to see her visit some historically significant locations. Technically she did in one of the Trilogy games with the sword? But it didn't really feel historical.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 12:17 AM   #157
martok2112
Captain

Indeed, Owain.

There's nothing wrong with games or films taking inspiration from another.

Tomb Raider inspired Uncharted, which, in turn, inspired the reboot of Tomb Raider.

Star Trek inspired Star Wars, which, in turn, inspired the big screen move for Star Trek. (Of course, both owe much to Forbidden Planet. )

And then, at that, movies inspire games.

Tomb Raider and Uncharted, both clearly inspired by Indiana Jones.

Halo, clearly inspired by ALIENS...and the producers of the game have said that they make no bones about it.

(Sadly, for most cases, it would seem that games do not inspire the best movies. ) (Although I love the Resident Evil movies. )
Old August 6 2014, 08:25 PM   #158
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

And we could go on and on...

Heh yeah, I agree about games based on movies. For the most part, they're dreadful. The 90's seemed to have quite a surge of game-based movies, non of which were particularly memorable other than how awful they were. Ironically, the first Tomb Raider was among one of the best game-based movies. Didn't care so much for the second one, but the first was pretty good as far as things go. Now, if they were to ever make an Uncharted movie, I'd think it would be pretty hard to screw up considering the games have always had a strong story with interesting characters to begin with.
Old August 6 2014, 08:45 PM   #159
martok2112
Captain

I wasn't really impressed with either Tomb Raider movie....for reasons I'll keep to myself for the sake of keeping the peace.

I do have hopes that an Uncharted movie will really be good. As you said, Owain, the UC games have really good stories to begin with.

The big problem with making a movie from a game is that if you follow the game too closely, then you'll know exactly what happens to which characters, and thus, the movie is practically spoiled. So, for an Uncharted movie to work, they'll have to invent a completely new story...one that definitely won't find its way into a game adaptation. Perhaps a story that takes place in between Uncharted 3 and 4, so they can invent some new disposable bad (and good) guys.

Resident Evil did a decent job (in my humble opinion) of inventing some new characters and a new story so that we didn't know what was going to happen to whom. As the stories went on, they seemed to become less and less about the zombies, and more about this superhuman heroine, Alice. The sequels did contain a few game characters. As much as I enjoyed the movies, they did go a bit over the top, and became more "all out action movies" rather than "zombie apocalypse" flicks.

I also enjoyed the Silent Hill movies. The tone of the movies (much like the games that inspired them) had more in common with the likes of The Exorcist or The Omen rather than just being another zombie apocalypse series of movies.

As I was stating earlier, a lot of games do not translate well from the movies/shows that inspire them.

The Walking Dead (awesome tv show) has had mixed success in the video game world. On the one hand, the Telltale games versions have been met with some critical and audience success, whereas the first person shooter based on The Walking Dead was a total flop.

There hasn't been a Superman game yet that has met with any success, and yet the Batman: Arkham series of games (largely based on Batman: The Animated Series...especially in terms of voice cast) has sold quite well for comic book/tv show/movie based games.

Aliens: Colonial Marines (much as I enjoyed this highly flawed game) was another semi-flop...but that was largely because Gearbox Software dropped the ball on production in favor of their own big IP (Borderlands 2) and outsourced A:CM to an inferior developer. And it was meant to be an official, canonized sequel to ALIENS, the movie.

Of course, the Star Wars and Star Trek games have been met with mixed success as well.
Old August 6 2014, 09:06 PM   #160
RoJoHen
Awesome

The big problem with making a movie from a game is that if you follow the game too closely, then you'll know exactly what happens to which characters, and thus, the movie is practically spoiled. So, for an Uncharted movie to work, they'll have to invent a completely new story...one that definitely won't find its way into a game adaptation. Perhaps a story that takes place in between Uncharted 3 and 4, so they can invent some new disposable bad (and good) guys.
I don't know; it's not that different from any other adaptation, is it? I suppose you could tell a new story, but there's no reason you'd have to. Most people who see the movie probably wouldn't have played the game anyway.

Besides, setting it between UC 3 and 4 wouldn't make sense. UC3 was essentially the story of how Drake "retired" so he could be with Elena. UC4 is going to be about him "getting back in the game."

A condensed version of the first game would make the most sense for a film.
Old August 6 2014, 10:39 PM   #161
martok2112
Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I don't know; it's not that different from any other adaptation, is it? I suppose you could tell a new story, but there's no reason you'd have to. Most people who see the movie probably wouldn't have played the game anyway.

Besides, setting it between UC 3 and 4 wouldn't make sense. UC3 was essentially the story of how Drake "retired" so he could be with Elena. UC4 is going to be about him "getting back in the game."

A condensed version of the first game would make the most sense for a film.

Yeah, thinking about it in those terms, adapting a movie almost precisely in tone and effect, but condensed for running time, from a game's story would be about the same as adapting a movie from a novel. If you've read the novel, and the movie adaptation is fairly faithful, you know what's going to happen to whom, and roughly about when.

But, adaptations will usually take a few (conservatively put in some cases) liberties to try and make the movie as enjoyable as the source material (be it a novel, comic, or game). That's a fine, creative line to walk too.

Now, I've rarely seen movies that have disappointed me if they were adapted from novels. (Ok...The Running Man...that was a Stephen King -- as pseudonym Richard Bachman-- novel turned into a typical 80's Schwarzenegger flick...with little to do with the source material, other than a few character names, and the very....very...general idea that folks fight for their lives to win freedom wrongly taken from them by a dystopian government/society...or in the case of the novel....Ben Richards was participating to try and help his critically ill child, I believe. Taken as a Schwarzie flick, it's mildly enjoyable. Taken as an adaptation of a King/Bachman book....it's horrendous.).

Peter Jackson did a good job of adapting the Lord of the Rings movies, apparently (I never read the books, so I'll have to take more experienced folks' word at it). He's also taking quite a few creative liberties with The Hobbit (a novel that barely warranted two movies, let alone three, according to my room mate) to get a trilogy out of it. Now, my room mate says that the creative liberties he is taking are well within the logic and setting of the story, and are still turning out quite well.

Can you imagine if the latter Harry Potter books (say, Goblet of Fire, onward) were all done as two parters? (like The Deathly Hallows was). The books from GoF onward themselves could easily warrant two parters. We would've probably gotten more of the subplots that were sorely missing from the movies....like Hermione's efforts to free house elves from servitude, and such.) I loved the movies, having only read Prisoner of Azkaban onward. I guess I came to admire the HP stories from the bassackward approach, watching the first couple of movies first, and then reading the novels.

I don't do a lot of reading as it is.
Old August 7 2014, 01:25 AM   #162
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I wasn't really impressed with either Tomb Raider movie....for reasons I'll keep to myself for the sake of keeping the peace.
Probably a wise idea. I'll just say this. While it wasn't a great movie, it was at least passable as a videogame movie. And I know people like to criticize the Prince of Persia movie, but I quite liked that one.

I do have hopes that an Uncharted movie will really be good. As you said, Owain, the UC games have really good stories to begin with.

Yeah, you're right. The easy thing to do would be to adapt Uncharted 2 into a movie, but then like you say you'd have the problem of knowing everything, but it's not so bad in the way of a novel adaptation like the Harry Potter movies. The series though does have strong enough characters that you could make a movie with a unique story that stands well on its own and be considered as an addition to the franchise. Already, I feel the series has some characters that resemble real-life counterparts, such as Marlowe resembling Helen Mirren and Ellie from TLOU resembling Ellen Page, so their games are already almost cast

Agreed on the Superman games. With Rocksteady's success with the Arkham games, it really has made me wonder whether they could do the same for Superman. Before the Arkham games, it had been a long time since there'd been a really good superhero game.
Old August 7 2014, 11:16 AM   #163
martok2112
Captain

I remember for quite a while, everyone thought that Ellen Page (whom I lu-- er-- love dearly ) was actually digitized and mocapped for the role of Ellie. The devs changed up Ellie's appearance a bit, and stated that they just wanted to make a few more aesthetic changes in Ellie. Ellen Page wasn't even really fazed by this until she did start doing mocap and voice work for another video game....Beyond: Two Souls. Then she became mildly irate at the notion that people thought she was in TLOU.

I used to have the game Superman Returns for the 360. It was a sort of open world game for Metropolis...but it seemed rather repetitive. I never finished it. In fact, I think I took it back a few days after I bought it. I think it was the second or third game I got for my first 360, years ago. (The very first game I bought for 360 was a game I stll have and play to this day: Elder Scrolls Iv: Oblivion. . )
Old August 7 2014, 07:08 PM   #164
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That's an interesting story about Ellen Page And hell, the Beyond devs do like the photorealistic, so I'd count it as a compliment that people thought she was in TLOU with another dev I wonder if she's played it.

You know, the first time I saw the Uncharted 3 trailer and saw Marlowe, my first thought was, holy wow, they've got Helen Mirren, because it sounded and looked a lot like her and even seemed a perfect role for her, but I see another actress was in her place. Could be they had hopes of getting her for the gig.

Heh yeah, that's the Superman game I had in mind. Never played it, mind you, but remember seeing many reviews extolling how terrible it was, and I don't think nobody's tried to make one since? Quite a stigma attached to it and it would take one hell of a game to make people forget about it.
Old August 7 2014, 08:48 PM   #165
martok2112
Captain

Yeah, I often wonder if the devs to try to create likenesses of certain actors/actresses, in the hopes of getting said actor/actress to voice or even mocap the role.

I remember when Ronald D. Moore wrote the miniseries for the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, they wrote President Roslin with Mary McDonell in mind for the role, thinking "wouldn't it be great if we could actually GET her?" Well, turns out, she was interested, loved the role, and ate it up.

Yeah, I'd say Naughty Dog and Quantic Games are tops when it comes to cinematic styled games. There were a couple of cutscenes in Beyond: Two Souls where it almost looked like full motion video...even though I knew it wasn't. Same thing with Naughty Dog's Uncharted and Last of Us.

I wonder if Rockstar Games could create a good Superman game in the vein of the Batman Arkham series, we might actually, finally have some quality Superman games.