Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old July 23 2014, 05:59 AM   #136
fireproof78
Captain

Re: Did anyone laugh when...

borgboy wrote: View Post
The younger Spock in The Cage was more emotional than he was by the time of TOS era. Reboot Spock is younger than Spock Prime was in TOS.
Also, Reboot Spock has a relationship with Uhura, who does encourage him to show emotions. He loses Amanda at a much younger age and Vulcan, so Reboot Spock is living a very different life than Spock Prime.
Absolutely. nuSpock is younger, and less mature in regards to his emotional control. I mean, even Saavik showed some minor hints of emotion and was not the pure logical control like Spock was in TWOK.

In addition, one of my favorite aspects of Sarek was the wisdom of his lines to Spock in Star Trek 2009. One that stood out to me, and was a major theme I picked up on in Spock's arc was this line:

"Emotions run deep within our race, in many way more deeply than with humans. Logic offers us a serenity human seldom experience: the control of feelings, so that they do not control you."
And that is the journey that Spock is on. He is trying to find that serenity that Sarek talked about, but he is still learning. There are still events that get under his skin, that push him to his limits.

Kirk's death, to me, was that final straw. He had lived with death for a year, trying to bury it, trying to deal with it, and then more death comes all at once.

As a quick aside, I think Nero and his crew in 09 represented the potential loss of control and emotional nature that Sarek is speaking about.

Spock is not emotionless, but in control. nuSpock is still learning that. That's why his "Khan" never bothered me.
Old August 3 2014, 04:12 AM   #137
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

No I didn't find it amusing at all I felt for Spock.
Old August 7 2014, 12:54 AM   #138
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Yes, there was snickering in my theater. Very awkward moment.
Old August 7 2014, 01:24 PM   #139
xavier
Commander

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Yes, there was snickering in my theater. Very awkward moment.
I agree.it was awkward.
Old August 7 2014, 05:54 PM   #140
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

No snickering and no laughing when I saw it. There may have been a few "Go get him Spock!"s uttered though.
Old August 8 2014, 03:43 AM   #141
jaygibson77
Lieutenant

Sheesh, people, you knew it was coming. Just like every Planet of the Apes movie sneaks in a variation of, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"
Old August 8 2014, 02:49 PM   #142
Jack Frost
Commodore

Imagine the outrage had it been omitted!
Old August 8 2014, 09:25 PM   #143
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

The true role switch would have been if Carol screamed Khan. But simple role switches like this are always silly, and everyone knows that the right way would have been for Keenser to scream it. Did you know that the poor creature can, in moments of severe emotional affect, deliver unparalleled screams that you would have never expected?
Old August 8 2014, 10:19 PM   #144
xavier
Commander

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
The true role switch would have been if Carol screamed Khan. But simple role switches like this are always silly, and everyone knows that the right way would have been for Keenser to scream it. Did you know that the poor creature can, in moments of severe emotional affect, deliver unparalleled screams that you would have never expected?

Interesting, you make a good point. it would have been interesting of carol screamed Khan. than would have been less obvious and unpredictable.
Old August 9 2014, 12:55 AM   #145
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

xavier wrote: View Post

Interesting, you make a good point. it would have been interesting of carol screamed Khan. than would have been less obvious and unpredictable.
And quite a bit more awkward since Carol Marcus was in sickbay with a shattered leg.
Old August 9 2014, 01:01 AM   #146
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
xavier wrote: View Post

And quite a bit more awkward since Carol Marcus was in sickbay with a shattered leg.
But, she could've screamed, "Khaaaaan!" after she saw him crush her father's head. Moment missed, I say.

Come to think of it, Kirk could've screamed, "Harrisssoooon!" after Pike was killed. Wonder how that would've gone over.

Or, Khan could've screamed, "Spoooooccck!" as the torpedoes exploded in the Vengeance.

Good stuff, all of that.
Old August 9 2014, 01:05 AM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post

But, she could've screamed, "Khaaaaan!" after she saw him crush her father's head. Moment missed, I say.
I have to say that the head crushing scene was great and Pine and Eve's facial expressions really sold what Khan had done without having to see it.
Old August 9 2014, 02:31 AM   #148
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

I have to say that the head crushing scene was great and Pine and Eve's facial expressions really sold what Khan had done without having to see it.
Agreed. Pine, in particular.
Old August 9 2014, 10:36 AM   #149
martok2112
Captain

Or Chekov could've screamed....then it would've really been 1982 all over again. (which reminded us of 1979...which in turn reminded us of "Day of the Dove" and "Mirror, Mirror". )
Old August 9 2014, 08:47 PM   #150
xavier
Commander

may be no one should have screamed khan.
Closed Thread