Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 1 4.76%
A 3 14.29%
A- 0 0%
B+ 0 0%
B 3 14.29%
B- 2 9.52%
C+ 2 9.52%
C 3 14.29%
C- 2 9.52%
D+ 1 4.76%
D 1 4.76%
D- 0 0%
F 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6 2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Grading & Discussion

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

"Neither a particularly good movie nor the pop-cultural travesty that some were dreading." - Variety Review

"Let me tell you something about those people, how much money did Transformers 4 make? Exactly. Those people can complain – they all go to the theatre. They're gonna love it – and if they don't love it, they can fuck off, and that's the end of that." - Megan Fox
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Grading & Discussion

I swear, Michael Bay, if you fucked this up I will personally hunt you down and stink-palm you.
Old August 6 2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Skywalker
Admiral

You should be directing that threat at Jonathan Liebesman, the film's actual director, not Michael Bay, who was just a producer.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 01:17 AM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
You should be directing that threat at Jonathan Liebesman, the film's actual director, not Michael Bay, who was just a producer.
Michael Bay was clearly a very involved and active producer as his fingerprints are all over this thing.
Old August 7 2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Not everything.

The studio behind the latest revival of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has apologised for a publicity poster which combined a picture of the heroes in a half shell hurtling from a burning building with the legend "September 11". Read more...

'When I woke up and saw that, I said, "Are you kidding me?" That was a silly, dumb mistake,' he said.'Trust me - I yelled at them. Normally everything goes through me, and no one showed me that poster.' - Michael Bay
Old August 7 2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

You really think before that was approved someone would have raised their hand and said, "Um..."
Old August 7 2014, 05:57 PM   #7
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

If this ends up not being that good, I hope at least Michael Bay won't make endless amount of sequels like he did with Transformers.
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

It's currently sitting at 19% on Rotten Tomatoes. The question isn't if this film will be good or not (it won't), but whether or not it'll make money despite it's crappiness.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 08:11 PM   #9
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I think I might have to wait for the video release on this one. I don't know, I'll wait for what people say over the weekend.

The Turtles are one of my favorite franchises, and yet I'm still finding very hard to care.
Old August 7 2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think I might have to wait for the video release on this one. I don't know, I'll wait for what people say over the weekend.

The Turtles are one of my favorite franchises, and yet I'm still finding very hard to care.
We at least have the current TV show. Even if I won't watch the movie, i'll still have a healthy dose of Turtles.
Old August 7 2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Aldo
Admiral

I'm going to see the movie. I'm not expecting it to be great, but I'm at least hoping it's a fun outing at the theater.
Old August 7 2014, 08:40 PM   #12
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Yeah. I just started watching last week. I'm about half-way through season one and really liking it. I admit, I've been skeptical about it because I was kind of turned-off by the animation style and didn't care for the idea of teenage April, but once I got into it, I really started enjoying it.

IDK if I like it better than the 2003 series yet. Probably about the same.
Old August 7 2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I decided to watch all three movies for the first time in 20 years.
  • They're a lot campier than I remember but I liked the practical effects. Feels very late 80s.

• The animatronics were very well done.

• Judith Hoag looks pretty much the same these days. I didn't know that she was only 21 back then. It's a shame that she didn't reprise her role in the second film but she's done pretty well career-wise since then.

• Casey Jones' mask looked too cartoonish but I guess they didn't want him to look like Jason.

• When I saw the first movie in theatres, someone in the audience yelled out "Master Splinter!" when April O'Neil saw the rat and the whole audience laughed. I remember this because I was irritated. They were disturbing the start of the big movie. Then part way through the film when April sees Splinter for the first time, she makes reference to the rat at the beginning.

• I didn't know that the first movie was shot in North Carolina.

• The Secret of the Ooze is absolutely atrocious. A whole lot worse than I remember. I barely got through it. I had a good laugh at Vanilla Ice though. That part was so stupid it was funny. The two mutants also came off as a missed opportunity to do Rocksteady and Beebop.

• Turtles III… A convoluted story but it was a pretty good return to the form established with the first movie.

I can't wait to see how this new movie compares. It already looks more sophisticated in comparison.
Old August 7 2014, 08:56 PM   #14
CorporalClegg
Admiral

See, I don't get the "more sophisticated" bit. I think these films are a lot less sophisticated.

Many of the reviews comment on the poor pop-culture references. And I totally get that. Just look at the trailer for example:

"He's using his Batman voice again." That obvious and so overdone.

Compare that to something like: "It's kinda like Moonlighting." Or "Wiseman say, 'Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full-price for late pizza.'" Or Donnie and Mike's adjective exchange. Those have a little bite of high-brow behind them.

And any sophistication this movie presents seems to completely miss the conceit.
Old August 7 2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Yeah. I just started watching last week. I'm about half-way through season one and really liking it. I admit, I've been skeptical about it because I was kind of turned-off by the animation style and didn't care for the idea of teenage April, but once I got into it, I really started enjoying it.

IDK if I like it better than the 2003 series yet. Probably about the same.
I *think* this current show tries to strike a balance between the 1987 and 2003 shows; that is, some of the goofiness and the sheer number of mutants of 1987 with the more prolonged arcs and generally darker atmosphere of 2003 (no daytime stories in the current show, right?). And I can get with that.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I decided to watch all three movies for the first time in 20 years.
  • They're a lot campier than I remember but I liked the practical effects. Feels very late 80s.

• The animatronics were very well done.

• Judith Hoag looks pretty much the same these days. I didn't know that she was only 21 back then. It's a shame that she didn't reprise her role in the second film but she's done pretty well career-wise since then.

• Casey Jones' mask looked too cartoonish but I guess they didn't want him to look like Jason.

• When I saw the first movie in theatres, someone in the audience yelled out "Master Splinter!" when April O'Neil saw the rat and the whole audience laughed. I remember this because I was irritated. They were disturbing the start of the big movie. Then part way through the film when April sees Splinter for the first time, she makes reference to the rat at the beginning.

• I didn't know that the first movie was shot in North Carolina.

• The Secret of the Ooze is absolutely atrocious. A whole lot worse than I remember. I barely got through it. I had a good laugh at Vanilla Ice though. That part was so stupid it was funny. The two mutants also came off as a missed opportunity to do Rocksteady and Beebop.

• Turtles III… A convoluted story but it was a pretty good return to the form established with the first movie.

I can't wait to see how this new movie compares. It already looks more sophisticated in comparison.
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the fourth movie, so much so that I thought it redeemed II and III by a wide margin. Like any Turtle story, it was inherently silly, but it went back to the first movie with a more serious tone, and i quite liked that balance. The grounded character relations seemed better than the big far-fetched cosmic menace.