Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 31 2014, 08:50 PM   #1696
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

I thought that episode was okay, but I thought Jeff's 'I'm not well-adjusted' speech was cheesy and forced.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 09:04 PM   #1697
Aldo
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
I'm a huge fan of Adam Devine, so seeing him pop up as Jeff's half brother was fun (he's one of the few aspects of Season 4 I wouldn't mind seeing Harmon bring back)
I hated Jeff's brother. It was like an obnoxious character from a bad sitcom somehow winded up on Community, I half-expected to hear feigned laughter from the audience while he did his Wacky Antics™.
Yeah he kind of did feel out of place, but like I said, I really like Adam Devine. He definitely could dialed it back a bit if he wanted to but I'm thinking that's how the character was intended by the writers.

I watched "Advanced Documentary Filmmaking" this morning, and the over reliance on past episodes continues. Although it's not completely fair to hold this against Season 4, since Harmon's Community also did a follow up to the original Documentary Filmmaking episode as well.

While I'm not big on the "Changnesia" storyline, I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit. The characters are starting to fall back into place and feel like themselves (except for Pierce, but I suspect that's because at this point Chase just stopped caring and was completely phoning it in).

I really enjoyed Troy and Annie working together. Especially because of how Troy was purposely doing the opposite of everything Annie said, and then Annie using that to her advantage. Jeff's obsession with proving that Change is faking was great too, and I even liked Britta screwing up with the camera so that we missed Shirley's moving speech.

Last edited by Aldo; July 31 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 12:14 AM   #1698
Aldo
Admiral

So I found an article where Joel McHale briefly talks about Season 6 and the possible movie, but what I found more interesting is what a higher up at NBC has to say about the cancellation:

“That sixth season thing was created by [the fans] — I’m surprised they didn’t say ’10 seasons and a movie. And [the mantra started] before my time [at NBC]. It didn’t just make sense for us to have another season of it at that level of audience.”
Rest of the article and Joel's thoughts here.

While on the surface his comments aren't too bad. I mean the show did have low ratings and it makes sense NBC would want to try and replace it with a show that has more appeal. What I do take issue with is his comments about the phrase "Six seasons and a movie." Again, his comments aren't horrible since he is kind of right...until you realize that the marketing for Season 5 heavily emphasized the phrase itself:

Old August 1 2014, 02:27 AM   #1699
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I just watched Repilot again. I love the way Harmon uses it to comment on the course of the series.

"Britta, you came here an eclectic anarchist, how did you become the group's airhead?"
"We all came here real people, and we turned into exaggerated cartoon characters!"

I fully expect something akin to that in the season 6 premiere.
Old August 1 2014, 02:49 AM   #1700
Aldo
Admiral

When I first watched 'Repilot' I only had seen Community as a casual viewer (IE: a random episode here and there). So it's going to be fun to watch the episode again as a die hard...who also (will) has Season 4 under thier belt too. So I can watch it from that perspective too.

I just watched "Economics to Marine Biology" and I actually really enjoyed it. It had a few big laughs and managed to utilize Pierce in an interesting way...well at least interesting as far as this season is concerned. The biggest laugh came at the end when Britta was telling Troy why she still eats Springles and he told her she better leave because he had a headache. I also thought Abed doing the Fraternity was neat, but nothing really interested was really done with it.

Last edited by Aldo; August 1 2014 at 03:55 AM.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:49 AM   #1701
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I agree that was one of the better S4 episodes. The P.E.E. thing was like something that would have happened in season 1. The other plot was more like a watchable episode of a normal TV sitcom.
Old August 1 2014, 05:02 AM   #1702
Aldo
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The other plot was more like a watchable episode of a normal TV sitcom.
It's a sad thought to think that's the only way to accept Season 4, is to say it's like a normal sitcom, but sadly that is the truth.

I'm working my viewings in such a way that I will be watching the Season 4 finale right before I watch the Season 5 opener. Just so I can really compare and contrast the extreme differences in seasons
Old August 1 2014, 01:53 PM   #1703
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Did you see "HERstory of Dance" yet? That, I think, was my favorite season 4 episode.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 07:08 PM   #1704
Aldo
Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
Did you see "HERstory of Dance" yet? That, I think, was my favorite season 4 episode.
It's up next in my run-through, though I should point out that I did originally see it when it was first broadcast. I don't recall too much from it except that Britta wants to put on her own dance and it's also the episode that introduces us to Brie Larson, who didn't get to be an interesting character until Season 5, thanks to Harmon.
Old August 2 2014, 04:16 AM   #1705
shivkala
Rear Admiral

The whole "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"/"As I Lay Me Down" debate reminded me of seasons 1-3 Community. Also, having Pierce do something nice for one of the study group was touching.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 05:08 AM   #1706
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I agree that's one of the best season 4 episodes, but my only problem with it is they leaned on the 'Britta stupid' thing too much.

In Harmon Community Britta is more contextually stupid than really stupid. I hate the way S4 just made her an idiot who wasn't even that into protesting.
Old August 2 2014, 07:29 AM   #1707
Aldo
Admiral

I did end up watching it today, and I can't really add anything that hasn't been said. I do really like how Pierce got a bit to do actually, it seems like so far he's just been around. Which I've a feeling the writers have no idea what to write for him because of how difficult he can be. I have a feeling Harmon was able to put up with him more, probably because Harmon comes off as a dick at times too.

Earlier in the evening I asked for some recommendations for films that Gillian was either the star of, or had a major role, because I think before today the only movie I saw her in was that Burt Wonderstone movie with Steve Carrel, and the only non-Britta tv role I saw her in was Law and Order.

So I ended up watching this pretty dark little film called 'Gardens of the Night.' I have to say, after watching it I have a new found respect for Miss Jacobs as an actress.
Old August 2 2014, 06:35 PM   #1708
Aldo
Admiral

I just finished 'Intro to Felt Surrogacy."

I was actually really enjoying it up until the moment the gang revealed their darkest secrets. I thought Shirleys' and Jeff's were OK, Britta's, Troy's, and Annie's secret really took me out of the episode. Britta doesn't vote? Don't buy it. Annie letting someone rub her feet for answers? Yuck. And Troy being an arsonist? Even accidentally? How is that funny?!

I did like the concept though, and wish more was done with it. But oh well, I'm going to put this one down as an episode I didn't enjoy. I just can't get past the terrible secrets that weren't even very funny. Perhaps they weren't supposed to be funny and I can see that, but they shouldn't be so horrible that it makes me think less of the characters.
Old August 3 2014, 03:15 AM   #1709
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I find that episode unwatchable. The claymation episode worked because it had the constant real life layer. You knew at all times what was going on in Abed's imagination, and what was going on in the real world. The felt episode didn't have that connection, what was going on didn't correlate with plausible things going on in reality. Would they really go on a hot air balloon on their own? Would they really accept psychotropic berries from a stranger? Definitely the worst episode of the season in terms of characters behaving in ways they would never behave. At least the other episodes were cartoon exaggerations of how they might really behave, this episode wasn't even that.

I'm watching the 'Ground is lava' episode right now and I'm realizing, I would LOVE it if they made fun of all the paint ball episodes next season by having an episode where they start another paint ball game, and immediately somebody gets badly hurt.
Old August 3 2014, 06:47 AM   #1710
Aldo
Admiral

I don't disagree with you on any of the points you brought up. In fact in a youtube video I am very fond of ("Everything that's wrong with Season 4"), one of the points that is brought up is the fact that the gang just leaves Pierce in the woods as if it's no big deal.

In season 2 he overdoses on pain pills and is left on a park bench...and we spend a whole episode dealing with the aftermath, because the study group really cares for him. But in season 4, because Chevy didn't really give a crap we're left with the explanation that "Oh he's just off in the woods somewhere."