RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,679
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 413
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 30 2014, 02:08 AM   #76
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: CJ1701's Current Project: U.S.S Pike

Pretty Vessel
Old July 30 2014, 05:10 AM   #77
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

So I've doing some thinking. Because "Starfleet" built the USS Vengeance, and despite the fact it's an affront to everything starfleet is supposed to be about. I can't help but think what ramifications that would have for later generations of star ship design.

Example: The aforementioned ship CAN catch up to another ship in warp, destroy a small planet several times over with it's photon torpedo slingshot thingy..ugh *shudders*. Still the ship has enough advancements to outclass an early 24th century prime-line star ship.

So as an artist, I think what does this mean for the ship design in the late 23rd to the 24th century?

Well, lets look at the starship evolution here:

The enterprise is majestic, light, and dare I say it a little fluffy. (note that Im considering ALL the factors here)

The Refit Enterprise, looks sleeker, more utilitarian, but still keeps the majestic feeling. Why? Klingon Cold War, that's why.

The Excelsior, looks like a Japanese car of its time period. Still sleek, but more muscular.

I'm not talking about the C. Nope. Nuh uh. Not Happening.

Now onto the the "D". Due to starfleet being a bit more "relaxed", we get the galaxy class. A ship with Character, but not military looking at all. She's a rubber duckie in space. Despite that opinion, I do like the design of the Ent-D. She was my first. Still, she looked as threatening as a rubber duck.

That all changes when the Borg came and pimp-slapped the federation at Wolf 359, then the dominion came in and caused all sorts of trouble. Like WW2 on a interstellar level trouble.
What happens when we get in trouble like that? We become a "nation" of war. And that affected design. Look at the Sovereign, Voyager, Akira, Defiant. Sleek, Solid, looks dangerous, vertically smaller target. They LOOK like ships for war, no argument there.

But despite the fact those two threats took a bite out of the federation. Neither of those guys accomplished what Nero did. Blew up(Read as; sucked into a cosmic toilet bowl generated by red mac-guffin.) an entire planet that was the homeworld to one of the founding members of the UFP!

To use an example from the real world here. 9/11 was(is?) a tragedy, but it happened over a decade ago. The event is still fresh for a bunch of people though, and that was only two buildings, and the pentagon from what I remember.
Imagine half of us moved to Mars, then some alien prick comes along and blows up Earth. I would think that would stick with us for at least over a century.

So back to the JJ-Verse. The ramifications of Vulcan getting flushed down the proverbial cosmic toilet bowl, would completely change starfleet well longer than a century. Hell I think Into Darkness didn't go far enough into that topic. So where am I going with this?

Well to put it bluntly, any peace era federation starship: Ambassador, Galaxy, Nebula, I'm looking at you. Would not exist. At all. Period. We would jump straight from Excelsior, to Sovereign in a flash. Starfleet would be stuck with the Nicolas Meyer mindset from post Into Darkness, and no speech about being explorers, and nice guys would change that. Because in the end, Marcus was right. He just went about everything the completely wrong way. Well you know what they say about good intentions right?

Anyhoo, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Also, tl;dr? Adm Marcus was right, Starfleet will be militarized well into the 24th century. No more rubber duckie's of a starship.
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 06:27 AM   #78
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Makes sense to me
Old July 31 2014, 01:45 AM   #79
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

Alright I did this work yesterday but I did, some changes. Looking for feedback to improve her in the modeling section before I go into texturing.

Subtle change here is that I thickened the buzzard collector cover. It felt to flimsy to me.

A Close Up of the deflector dish.

Changed some stuff in the back specifically the pattern on the bottom, next will be the upper shuttle bay area.

This is just a classic TMP reveal front view.

So...yeah. That's all I got for now. Seriously, to any of the veteran starship modelers, or those of you have really good taste, which is pretty much all of you that's why I like posting here. Please critique via PM or on the thread.

Cheers, CJ.
Old July 31 2014, 02:10 AM   #80
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Such a awesome Design wish it could 3D Printed
Old July 31 2014, 04:21 AM   #81
Albertese
Commodore

Lovely work.

--Alex
Old July 31 2014, 07:16 AM   #82
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The D seemed to be on the verge of destruction after even a single disruptor blast. Maybe a "militarized" Starfleet isn't a bad thing. Then again, ships are only as tough as the writers want them to be, so eh.

As an aside, I never thought Starfleet was "non-military" until about mid-24th century with Picard and them. To be honest, I found it to be a thing of arrogance that Picard believed Starfleet was an institution of pure exploration. It took Q shoving them into the Delta Quadrant to realize that Starfleet had become complacent and stagnant. Then again, Gene Roddenberry kinda went into full hippie mode with TNG.
Old July 31 2014, 02:36 PM   #83
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Very cool ship. Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 03:45 PM   #84
Ensign Ro-
Commander

View Ensign Ro-'s Twitter Profile

My only critique...love it. This is a very cool and original design. I've been enjoying following your progress.
Ensign Ro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 09:39 PM   #85
publiusr
Commodore

The dual saucer support pylons would look interesting as nacelle support structures on a more conventional connie ship--aft firing torps, docking port, etc.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 11:35 PM   #86
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The D seemed to be on the verge of destruction after even a single disruptor blast. Maybe a "militarized" Starfleet isn't a bad thing. Then again, ships are only as tough as the writers want them to be, so eh.

As an aside, I never thought Starfleet was "non-military" until about mid-24th century with Picard and them. To be honest, I found it to be a thing of arrogance that Picard believed Starfleet was an institution of pure exploration. It took Q shoving them into the Delta Quadrant to realize that Starfleet had become complacent and stagnant. Then again, Gene Roddenberry kinda went into full hippie mode with TNG.
Aye. That is true, While I did like TNG as a kid/teen, even now. I now feel that Starfleet got really arrogant in the first couple of seasons of TNG.

The way I see Starfleet should be is exactly like Adm. Markus says it, "Starfleet's approach has always been to extend a hand of greeting and friendship to whoever we encounter - while keeping a fully charged phaser ready in our back pocket."

Sometimes the writers realize this, and we get classics, like The WoK, TUC, FC, Ds9's Dominion Arc. Honestly my favorite Trek is the stuff done by Nicolas Meyer. Either hoo moving on.

The dual saucer support pylons would look interesting as nacelle support structures on a more conventional connie ship--aft firing torps, docking port, etc.
OOOOOOOOOooooo. I like that idea. I'll credit you if I tackle the Connie refit. Speaking of which.

For my next project, I was thinking of:
  1. A Revamped Galaxy Glass
  2. JJ Excelsior. With design undertones of a Space Carrier.
  3. JJ Refit Connie
  4. Something from the prime Universe. Either Lost era, or post STO. No Temporal Cold War bollocks.
  5. John Harriman. You know, The other guy who got kirk killed off in Generations. In a slightly cartoon style.

SO tell me what you think on that. I'm not putting up a poll or anything, just comment or PM, preferably PM since I get it sent to my email and I don't check this thread often enough.

Anyhoo I don't usually post with out pics.... So with further ado. 'Ere we go!

I think she'll be getting a bit more work till I'm ready to texture.
Old August 3 2014, 09:34 AM   #87
Albertese
Commodore

This ship is awesome.

--Alex
Old August 5 2014, 03:08 AM   #88
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

Just doing some texturing and shading tests. Definitely not final

Enjoy
Old August 5 2014, 12:25 PM   #89
Starship
Commander

Oh, she´s a beauty!
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 04:39 PM   #90
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Beauty indeed