CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 29 2014, 05:45 PM   #16
Stoo
Captain

Re: Looking Back at the X-Wing Series

Have you tried running it on Dosbox?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 06:04 PM   #17
ATimson
Rear Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I do, and I think it is a shame that they haven't been updated to current modern graphics - maybe Disney will fix this now that they own the properties?
No, Disney dismantled LucasArts shortly after the acquisition, and started farming out the Star Wars license instead.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

B.J. wrote: View Post
I loved both X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and I still have my TF CD lying around. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get TF to work properly on my Win7 laptop.
Which version do you have? DOS or Windows? I was able to get the Windows 98 version of X-Wing running smoothly on my Windows 8 PC.

I may not be remembering this correctly, but wasn't X-Wing released at a time when Star Wars popularity was at its lowest? I'm pretty sure it was in a funk for a while after Return of the Jedi and wasn't until the early-mid '90s when interest began to rise again with the Thrawn novels and the Dark Empire comic series. I think X-Wing was partly responsible for my original interest in Star Wars.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 06:12 PM   #19
Doctorwhovian
Commander

I remember reading that an expansion was planned for X-wing alliance, but then Lucasart's focus shifted to lots of TPM related games (The Adventure game, Racer, Jedi Power battles etc.) around the same time so it got lost in the shuffle.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 08:01 PM   #20
martok2112
Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I do, and I think it is a shame that they haven't been updated to current modern graphics - maybe Disney will fix this now that they own the properties?
No, Disney dismantled LucasArts shortly after the acquisition, and started farming out the Star Wars license instead.
Aye, which means we will probably never get to see Star Wars 1313, which was being slated to be Star Wars' first M rated title in the game franchise.

Although, apparently a new Star Wars Battlefront is in the works still. If they could make the starfighter/space combat action a bit more like the Xwing/TIE Fighter games....that would be something.

Also, Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander, is working on a new space sim IP, which looks to have a bit of open world game play to it. IIRC, the game is to be called Star Citizen.
Old July 29 2014, 08:13 PM   #21
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

martok2112 wrote: View Post
Also, Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander, is working on a new space sim IP, which looks to have a bit of open world game play to it. IIRC, the game is to be called Star Citizen.
Yes, I've been reading about that a little bit. It sounds interesting, although I still haven't gotten around to playing the Wing Commander games.

I know. I should be ashamed.
Old July 29 2014, 08:45 PM   #22
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Stoo wrote: View Post
Have you tried running it on Dosbox?
It's been a while but I don't think so. This was a Windows version, although Windows at the time was really just running on top of DOS.

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
B.J. wrote: View Post
I loved both X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and I still have my TF CD lying around. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get TF to work properly on my Win7 laptop.
Which version do you have? DOS or Windows? I was able to get the Windows 98 version of X-Wing running smoothly on my Windows 8 PC.
Windows. Like I said it's been a while, but I think the issues had mostly to do with the sound and not recognizing a modern joystick properly. The graphics would glitch during the cutscenes too.

I may have to try again, just to see exactly what's happening. I also need to look to see exactly which version it is, since apparently there were two different TF Collector's CD versions, one in 1995 and one in 1998, but I think it's the earlier one.
Old July 29 2014, 09:45 PM   #23
martok2112
Captain

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
Yes, I've been reading about that a little bit. It sounds interesting, although I still haven't gotten around to playing the Wing Commander games.

I know. I should be ashamed.
Don't be.

I should be ashamed.
The only versions of Wing Commander I had were WC III and IV on PlayStation.

Oh....wait....I also had Wing Commander on SNES.

But never any WC game on a PC.

I am ashammmmmeeeeeedddddddd!!!!
Old July 29 2014, 09:58 PM   #24
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Recently they had every Wing Commander game for sale, dirt cheap, on GOG.com. I think I got the entire thing for $10 or so. I still haven't played them yet, though.
Old July 30 2014, 06:00 PM   #25
John Clark
Commodore

I have all the PC versions of the Wing Commander series, as well as the first one on the Amiga. I know some people managed to get the dos ones to play on Android but I haven't tried it personally as I would prefer to play with a joystick.

Wonder if the same could be done with the old X-wing games?
Old July 30 2014, 10:10 PM   #26
Leviathan
Commander

The X-wing series was, judging by addictive qualities, coded from pure heroin.

I live in perpetual fear of someone, somewhere, working out a MMO based on this series where you upgrade your fighter/smuggler/trader/capital ship.

Should such a game ever come out I am ensured of an untimely end having starved to death in a basement with nothing but my PC, a joystick, a bottle of scotch, and a smile.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 10:27 PM   #27
martok2112
Captain

Leviathan wrote: View Post

I live in perpetual fear of someone, somewhere, working out a MMO based on this series where you upgrade your fighter/smuggler/trader/capital ship.

Should such a game ever come out I am ensured of an untimely end having starved to death in a basement with nothing but my PC, a joystick, a bottle of scotch, and a smile.
Likely same here...

Although it'd be cap'n and cokes for me.
Old July 30 2014, 10:54 PM   #28
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The PC Gaming Wiki is probably the best place to look if you're trying to get older games to run on modern systems. Or having PC gaming issues in general.

The alternative is to wait until GoG release it....which may be as long as never knowing Disney.

I personally have *very* fond memories of these games, but I'm not so sure they'll hold up all that well.
Mostly I remember being blown away by this intro:-

It almost felt like an actual Star Wars movie for a minute there!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 10:57 PM   #29
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Leviathan wrote: View Post

Oh, man, in my case they'd have to wade through a pool of Mountain Dew cans and pizza boxes.

Seriously, though, if they made that, I'd be all over it!

X-Wing is kicking my ass currently. I'm on the 4th mission of the first TOD and I'm just getting torn to shreds by the near-endless amount of TIEs that are getting launched while medical shuttles transport wounded Rebels to the medical frigate.
Old August 4 2014, 12:12 PM   #30
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

Reverend wrote: View Post
I personally have *very* fond memories of these games, but I'm not so sure they'll hold up all that well.
Mostly I remember being blown away by this intro:-

It almost felt like an actual Star Wars movie for a minute there!
Same here, I loved that game.

And I have to disagree, they hold up incredibly well.

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote