Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 30 2014, 05:08 PM   #1
EnriqueH
Commander

Caithlin Dar

Even back in the day, I remember thinking this character was weak. The amateurish acting didn't help.

Does anyone disagree with me here? Anyone thought she was a convincing Romulan.

A more revealing outfit, such as the ones Bill Theiss used on the old show, might've made the character more palatable.

I remember having a sinking feeling when this character was introduced, making me feel like the movie was going to be below par.
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 05:13 PM   #2
VST
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Caithlin Dar

Was she the woman who was blown up in The Search For Spock? She did seem a lot less ruthless & strong as established Romulans.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 05:15 PM   #3
EnriqueH
Commander

No, Caithlin Dar was the one from Star Trek V.
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 05:16 PM   #4
VST
Lieutenant Commander

Ohhhhhh yeah I know who you mean. I'd say the same actually, she seemed quite weak & transferable but then, well… she is in TFF!

Last edited by VST; July 30 2014 at 05:59 PM.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

The actress - Cynthia Gouw (?) - is or was a newscaster here in the Bay Area. I also saw her briefly on a fictional court or police drama years back.

She's not a groundbreaking actress, but she made a pretty Romulan ambassador and did okay with the material. (And, uh, a Bill Theiss outfit wouldn't have hurt...)

Sidenote: David Warner was pretty wasted - pun not intended - as the Earth ambassador...but, at least he was able to return for the next film in a meatier role.

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; July 30 2014 at 08:07 PM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Her romulaness (or romulanity?) was underdeveloped, but she didn't had so much screentime for that...well they could have keep the money of the three-breasted feline stripper to make her more Romulan...

She wasn't there to be Romulan, but to be the young and naive woman who didn't realize she volunteered for a job into a galactic trash. Talbot was there to show how much this is a galactic trash.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Dukhat
Commodore

None of the ambassadors were utilized at all, save for Koord growing some balls at the end of the movie, but even that was pretty meh. Only the fact that the Fed ambassador was played by David Warner gave them any sort of redeeming qualities.

As for Caithlin Dar, it sounds like her lines were dubbed. Why? Who the hell knows.
Old July 30 2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Grant
Fleet Captain

Awful, awful awful.

First they thought it would be cool to give her a human first name "Caithlin"----the novel tried to explain it.

Then they hired a non actor to save money and then they found she couldn't act and cut the scene down by 80% to save embarrassment.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

VST wrote: View Post
Was she the woman who was blown up in The Search For Spock? She did seem a lot less ruthless & strong as established Romulans.
You're thinking of Valkris, played by Cathy Shirriff, previously a co-host on the first season of "Ripley's Believe it Or Not". Her last TV role was as Olga in the telemovie whodunnit, "Murder in Space".

Valkris was a Klingon, although the comic adaptation gave her pointed ears.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0794399/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 12:26 AM   #10
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Dukhat wrote: View Post
None of the ambassadors were utilized at all, save for Koord growing some balls at the end of the movie, but even that was pretty meh. Only the fact that the Fed ambassador was played by David Warner gave them any sort of redeeming qualities.
I think Roger Ebert's review pointed out, the Ambassadors get introduced to the story as if they're going to be major characters, but then they barely appear. I suppose that in principle this might be a good bit of misdirection, since it means the audience is fooled about what narrative role the characters serve, but the fact they were only important to their own lives needed to be folded into the story better.

Still, obviously, the Ambassadors made rather an impression since I think everyone wants to know a little more about them.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 12:29 AM   #11
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Caithlin Dar was the least of STAR TREK V's problems. The actress gave the drivel she was given to regurgitate more passion than the part could ever demand of an actress - and was quite fetching, as well.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 12:32 AM   #12
Pondwater
Commodore

She made a gorgeous Romulan woman.
Old July 31 2014, 12:41 AM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

My own idea was that Nimbus III was such an unimportant an assignment that the Romulans definitely weren't going to send their best ambassador there. IMO, Dar was appointed as an ambassador more because of her looks rather than any diplomatic skills she possessed; she was eye-candy to placate the Federation and Klingon ambassadors there.
Old July 31 2014, 01:23 AM   #14
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

I thought she was super hot back then (I was 14), and even now I still think she's more interesting with more story potential than all of the bowl cut Romulans (aside from Sela, Tomalak, and Alidar Jarok) from TNG put together.
Old July 31 2014, 01:40 AM   #15
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I've often wondered if she was supposed to be half human. Anyway, she had three lines and did fine with them.

I agree that he ambassadors should have been used more, perhaps even the centerpiece of the story. Like Sybok takes them all hostage and Kirk has to work together with the Klingons and Romies to free them.

Pondwater wrote: View Post
She made a gorgeous Romulan woman.
You should give it a go.