TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 14 2014, 12:24 PM   #16
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: Enterprise Interiors - Set Usage

The size of Sickbay grew in relation to its requirements in the stories, as Robert_Comsol summarised above. Since the Season One set was different in several significant ways to the later Season Two/Three outings, I think it's worth an illustration:

Please ignore the number of pads on the Transporter platform, this is incorrect. Incidentally, the gaff about the T-Room being redressed as the chapel made it through to the Phase II series bible as well - astonishing that no-one on the staff picked this up.

The Sick Bay Ward from WNMHGB has been imported straight in to the bottom of the set, which caused the curved corridor to have to take an abrupt turn to accommodate the turbolift there. Compare it to the setplan from post #1 and you will see that it was extensively rebuilt for Season 2, eliminating the "crowding" issue and restoring the corridor's natural curve.

McCoy using the examination room as an office in S1 is not unbelievable, but does make the ship feel smaller. A separate office also gives him somewhere to put the skull collection!

The usefulness of a standing laboratory set was doubtless realised after Operation:Annihilate! but whereas that was a two-room affair the one we got in Season 2 was smaller and only a single room. Fine for the CMO's personal lab but a larger one for certain stories would have been nice (robot building, for example).

On the whole though, the set worked well. The Auxillary Control Room even fitted in two locations!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore

The other surviving Season One set plan was from "Charlie X", the passenger cabin I referred to was between the examination room and the Jefferies Tube corridor (in the first season, however, the Jefferies Tube was in an extra room you see in the middle to the left).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I'd love to show a pic of Charlie's room, but the only ones I have to hand are either low resolution or slightly cropped.

That wild area next to the examination room was well used in Season One - Charlie's cabin, the Korridian Players' suite of rooms, the Dilithium Reamplification Centre - all very interesting to look at and imaginatively designed due to the inverse walls they had to work with. Season Two had that wild area next to the cabin set, but it was never quite the same...
Old July 14 2014, 02:22 PM   #19
Lance
Commodore

The intention with some sets like that is for them to be redressed as other things. I assume that for McCoy's lab at least this was considered a possibility, what with the need for various mission specific labs and so forth. I don't know if Sickbay was ever redressed as anything else though (somebody more knowledgable that I about them might have the answer to that).
Lance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 06:59 PM   #20
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Other than acting as the botany section in The Man Trap I don't believe Sickbay had any other guest roles, sadly.
Old July 15 2014, 01:25 AM   #21
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
I'd love to show a pic of Charlie's room, but the only ones I have to hand are either low resolution or slightly cropped.
I've got you covered.

ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 07:16 AM   #22
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Thanks, there's my old digs!
Old July 15 2014, 01:36 PM   #23
Robert Comsol
Commodore

As a side detail no harm in mentioning that in the actual episode they put a chair instead of a bed behind the room divider.

Probably it was too much of an unnecessary hazzle to put a bed behind the room divider, you wouldn't see in the final episode.

I think what we saw here would have become the alternate "interior circle" crew cabin which was eventually abandoned on behalf of sickbay.

According to the original script, Charlie's cabin was located on Main Deck 5.

Bob
Old July 15 2014, 05:52 PM   #24
Mytran
Fleet Captain

You mean that dark splotch behind the grill? Could be the back of a chair I suppose. I can certainly understand why no-one on set would consider it neccessary to drag a bed in there though, that area is 95% obscured by the grill!

It seems roomier than Kirk's cabin too. Farewell, room.
Old July 16 2014, 05:51 PM   #25
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
It seems roomier than Kirk's cabin too. Farewell, room.
Another possible reason why they gave the set up. But as a cabin for two people sharing it (e.g. Anton and Lenore Karidian) the size seemed okay for me.

Bob
Old July 16 2014, 05:55 PM   #26
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I think they could have been even more restrictive than they were without hurting ratings one iota. One example that comes to mind is the service crawlway area in "That Which Survives". They could have written that set out completely, and stuck that action in a Jefferies tube or in a corner of main engineering. What viewer would have complained?
That was the Jefferies Tube set. They just cut it in half and added a section in the middle to make it wider.
Old July 16 2014, 06:00 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

scotpens wrote: View Post
I think they could have been even more restrictive than they were without hurting ratings one iota. One example that comes to mind is the service crawlway area in "That Which Survives". They could have written that set out completely, and stuck that action in a Jefferies tube or in a corner of main engineering. What viewer would have complained?
That was the Jefferies Tube set. They just cut it in half and added a section in the middle to make it wider.
I thought the modification they made in "That Which Survives" was pretty cool!
Old July 16 2014, 06:07 PM   #28
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
It was also on its side, in a room that itself had minimal redressing.
Old July 30 2014, 02:31 AM   #29
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

This sketch used to fascinate me in my youth. One thing I can't believe I never noticed (till now) is the area I've circled here. I don't recall a door at the rear of the transporter room. And why does the room seem to jut out a bit 'into' the corridor?

LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 03:11 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Comparing that to the other set blueprints I have, it looks like that part of the set could be redressed considerably from episode to episode. The protrusion you show there is too narrow to be a door (compare it to the other doors) -- it looks more like the screen Scotty tracked Gary Seven on in "Assignment: Earth." But I have blueprints showing an actual door in the corridor there, albeit not intended to be connected to the transporter room; in fact, they show that the rear part of the transporter room set was often used as an alternate turbolift car location for corridor scenes. In those blueprints, the extension of the transporter room isn't there.

By the same token, I suppose that if they needed to feature that extension of the transporter room (which I think was added for season 2), they'd remove the corridor wall to accommodate it, and then take it down again for shooting in the corridor. Since that diagram is meant to be a generic plan, it shows the two sets overlapping in a way they didn't normally do.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote