RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,388
Posts: 5,447,395
Members: 24,975
Currently online: 454
Newest member: HeathWescom

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Treachery, Faith and the Great River
By: Michelle on Nov 1

Crowded Coop Trek-Themed Bags and Wallets
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Original Series Hoodies
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Star Trek-Planet Of The Apes Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

November-December 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 29 2014, 01:57 AM   #16
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Action Figures

Ebay?
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 03:27 AM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Action Figures

There was a mom & pop web store called simply StarTrekToys.com that specialized in Playmates Trek toys, ships, and role play gear (with a few by Art Asylum/DST). I shopped there a few times, but it's been ages since the last time I did.
http://www.startrektoys.com/pages/home.htm
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 04:33 AM   #18
Janeway's Girl
Commander
 
Janeway's Girl's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Action Figures

I have checked it out. How was your shopping experience? Good customer service? Quality products?
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 05:40 AM   #19
fireproof78
Commander
 
fireproof78's Avatar
 
Re: Action Figures

Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
fireproof78 wrote: View Post
Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. I am thinking of getting an action figure but I'm torn between the 9" or 12"? In terms of detail and actor resemblance, which is better? Are both dressed in cloth or just painted? I prefer cloth.

Also, I know the majority of people keep them in their packaging but is it okay to take them out and display them instead?
Generally speaking, both 9 and 12 inch are dressed in cloth. I'm not a collector in the sense of keeping or displaying things, but I have been looking at creating displays of a bridge with one crew or another. The 9 inch has a little more variety, I've found, but the 12 inch can work with many other action figures in the same scale-GI JOE, Barbie, Star Wars, etc.

A quick run down on the 9 inch collection: https://www.mastercollector.com/arti...w102204-10.htm

12 inch had a little bit more variety, and was tied in with a couple of films (Insurrection and Star Trek 09, for instance), so it depends on what era you are wanting to collect.

Hope that helps!
Era? Meaning which series? Voyager!
Yep. Era or series, or movie, etc. It all is matter of what characters you want and what variety you want them in. I've been pretty impressed with the 9 inch collection (happened upon some at a local antique store) and the fact that Kirk has multiple uniforms can offer some variety.

Antique stores are a great place to scout out some hidden finds, especially many of the ones like around my home, which have multiple vendors in one building. Can find some good stuff there, but prices will vary.

What series are you think of looking for?
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 09:47 AM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Action Figures

Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
I have checked it out. How was your shopping experience? Good customer service? Quality products?
It was pretty cool all around. I used it to get a bunch of figures I had taken a pass on earlier--like most of the Star Trek: Generations line--and I didn't have any problems or complaints. Mind you, I'm the take out of the packaging type, but I don't recall any of the stuff I ordered being in poor condition.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 10:09 AM   #21
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral
 
Dinklebot's Avatar
 
Location: SPCTRE
View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile
Re: Action Figures

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
I have always thought it was weird to keep stuff in it's packaging. I understand people do that to make money off them but if you are just going to sell, what's the point of buying in the first place?
I think people who do that see the item solely as an investment.

I.E buy a special-print vinyl record for $30, keep it in the package, and two decades later it's worth $1000. People stick to things they're interested because they know a lot about it and can make educated guesses as to what its appreciation will be.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I have to disagree.

I don't necessarily see the few items I own as an investment, I mostly like having them. I like displaying them (livingroom space allowing). Of course I wouldn't rule out selling some of the more limited collector's editions of video games or merch I own, but only if the value increases very, very substantially and I certainly don't plan to do so when I'm buying them.
__________________
"Our conviction is like an arrow already in flight. Your life will only last until it reaches you."

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 01:34 PM   #22
Janeway's Girl
Commander
 
Janeway's Girl's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Action Figures

fireproof78 wrote: View Post
Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
fireproof78 wrote: View Post

Generally speaking, both 9 and 12 inch are dressed in cloth. I'm not a collector in the sense of keeping or displaying things, but I have been looking at creating displays of a bridge with one crew or another. The 9 inch has a little more variety, I've found, but the 12 inch can work with many other action figures in the same scale-GI JOE, Barbie, Star Wars, etc.

A quick run down on the 9 inch collection: https://www.mastercollector.com/arti...w102204-10.htm

12 inch had a little bit more variety, and was tied in with a couple of films (Insurrection and Star Trek 09, for instance), so it depends on what era you are wanting to collect.

Hope that helps!
Era? Meaning which series? Voyager!
Yep. Era or series, or movie, etc. It all is matter of what characters you want and what variety you want them in. I've been pretty impressed with the 9 inch collection (happened upon some at a local antique store) and the fact that Kirk has multiple uniforms can offer some variety.

Antique stores are a great place to scout out some hidden finds, especially many of the ones like around my home, which have multiple vendors in one building. Can find some good stuff there, but prices will vary.

What series are you think of looking for?
Voyager. Specifically Captain Janeway and The Doctor. I am toying with Amazon.com. There are a few sellers that have excellent reviews.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 03:23 PM   #23
Mutoid
Fleet Captain
 
Mutoid's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View Mutoid's Twitter Profile
Re: Action Figures

Melakon wrote: View Post
I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.
I buy 2 and keep one in the box.
Usually though its to keep one set intact while my boy loses the pieces to the other while playing with it.

Are there really any Star Trek figures that have gone up tremendously in value over the years?
Mutoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 08:50 PM   #24
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Action Figures

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
I don't necessarily see the few items I own as an investment, I mostly like having them. I like displaying them (livingroom space allowing). Of course I wouldn't rule out selling some of the more limited collector's editions of video games or merch I own, but only if the value increases very, very substantially and I certainly don't plan to do so when I'm buying them.
First of all, "investment," in terms of tangible assets, does not imply an intent to sell.

Second, you can do all those things you mentioned after opening the package, provided you take care doing so and save the packaging for storage.

The only logical reason one would choose not to ever "break the seal" would be to ensure optimal appreciative gain.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 10:26 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Action Figures

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.
I buy 2 and keep one in the box.
Usually though its to keep one set intact while my boy loses the pieces to the other while playing with it.

Are there really any Star Trek figures that have gone up tremendously in value over the years?
The more older and rare (not widely distributed) figures have, but not so much those made within the past 20-25 years, with a few notable exceptions, naturally.

The things that have really gone up big in value are ship and role-play toys as well as the more obscure novelty toys.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 10:58 PM   #26
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain
 
Armored Saint's Avatar
 
Location: Quebec City
Re: Action Figures

LeadHead wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.
Completely agree. I'm the first to admit I've got more Trek action figures than I need or should have. But I use them rather than just have them in boxes.
TROI Action-Figure: No. No, please, leave me alone.
LEADHEAD: No you are mine.
RIKER Action-Figure: Not so fast LeadHead.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 04:58 AM   #27
The Illusive Man
LeadHead's Cerberus Title
 
The Illusive Man's Avatar
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Action Figures

Armored Saint wrote: View Post
LeadHead wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.
Completely agree. I'm the first to admit I've got more Trek action figures than I need or should have. But I use them rather than just have them in boxes.
TROI Action-Figure: No. No, please, leave me alone.
LEADHEAD: No you are mine.
RIKER Action-Figure: Not so fast LeadHead.
Got that all wrong, Armored Saint. Usually Troi is asking me to get Riker off of her.
__________________
Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
The Illusive Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 06:56 AM   #28
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral
 
Dinklebot's Avatar
 
Location: SPCTRE
View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile
Re: Action Figures

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
SPCTRE wrote: View Post
I don't necessarily see the few items I own as an investment, I mostly like having them. I like displaying them (livingroom space allowing). Of course I wouldn't rule out selling some of the more limited collector's editions of video games or merch I own, but only if the value increases very, very substantially and I certainly don't plan to do so when I'm buying them.
First of all, "investment," in terms of tangible assets, does not imply an intent to sell.
Well, I was going with the term "investment" in the context of finance, not economics. An increase in equity would be the expectation.

In economics, you're definitely right, investment does not imply any intent of a future sale.
__________________
"Our conviction is like an arrow already in flight. Your life will only last until it reaches you."

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 07:48 PM   #29
LordMudd
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Pasadena, TX.
Re: Action Figures

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.
I buy 2 and keep one in the box.
Usually though its to keep one set intact while my boy loses the pieces to the other while playing with it.

Are there really any Star Trek figures that have gone up tremendously in value over the years?
The only figures I am aware of with any real value are the 6 Mego 3.75 inch aliens, of which I have 5. They quickly rose in value and have held that value over time. Loose they go for about $75, MiP $150. Due to rarity I have seen people try to get more than $1,000 on Ebay. Back in '91 I had a dealer at a con try to sell me the set of 6 for $300 each. That might have been ok for MoMC figures then, but his cards were not mint and I told him so. He would not budge on the price and ended up taking them back home with him.

Another reason why I prefer loose figures.

CCC.
__________________
The dirty old man of action figure customizing.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.