CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 29 2014, 05:10 AM   #3181
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

sojourner wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
So how should Kryptonite be explained in future Superman films?

"Hey Superman! checkout this strange green, glowing rock I found! hey, are you ok?"
Well, that's a start.
Old July 29 2014, 01:01 PM   #3182
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think it likely that in this setting, Kryptonite will be synthetically created to reproduce the effect of the Kryptonian atmosphere on Superman.

Alternately, some Kryptonite might have been created on Earth as an unintended side effect of the aborted Kryptonian terraforming process.
Old July 29 2014, 01:51 PM   #3183
EvilAgentCoop
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View EvilAgentCoop's Twitter Profile

I don't really see why we would need a new origin for kryptonite.
"How's Annie?"
EvilAgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 02:16 PM   #3184
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Batman synthesized Kryptonite in TDKR, so that's not a new origin, and given the trailer it would be apropos if they used it.
Old July 29 2014, 02:26 PM   #3185
Dennis
The Man

DWF wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Well, who says they don't figure it out? We'll have to wait and see. I think the MOS people have suggested that it might turn out to be kind of an open secret with people like Perry White, etc.
Why use a multi-million dollar satellite to try and track him then?
Why not? I'm sure he gets around quite a bit.

It really would be interesting to see these movies evolve the plausibility of Clark's life and relationships a bit. Superman has a rather proud history of importing stuff back and forth from his incarnations in other media and incorporating it into the overall "mythos."

I just started watching the first (and only) season of Lois & Clark on DVD with a friend; I'd almost forgotten how enjoyable that version of Supes was.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 05:42 PM   #3186
davejames
Vice Admiral

Given the more grounded world this Superman seems to exist in, what I'd love is for a sequel to at least touch on some of the more real world issues and dangers out there, like poverty, war, and terrorism (and not comic book style terrorism like we saw in Superman II or the first Iron Man either).

As much as I loved SR, it always bugged me that we watch Clark catching up on all the war and turmoil going on in the world... only to then spend his time stopping robberies and saving Space Shuttles.

I realize the main focus will always need to be on the supervillains and monsters, but it would still be nice to see the real world at least acknowledged in one of these superhero movies.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 06:28 PM   #3187
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
The traditional explanation is that Krypton exploded and pieces of the planet spread through space and reached Earth around the same time as baby Kal-El's spacecraft. But now we believe Kal-El's ship possessed a highly advanced propulsion system, allowing him to cross a vast expanse of space (many light-years, I suppose) in very little time. The meteorites from Krypton, on the other hand, travelled through space at sub-light velocity and should have taken millions of years to reach Earth if at all.
I don't think this origin works too well. I still like the general idea of kryptonite, if we can just come up with a satisfactory explanation of how it gets to Earth.
Old July 29 2014, 06:31 PM   #3188
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The traditional explanation is that Krypton exploded and pieces of the planet spread through space and reached Earth around the same time as baby Kal-El's spacecraft. But now we believe Kal-El's ship possessed a highly advanced propulsion system, allowing him to cross a vast expanse of space (many light-years, I suppose) in very little time. The meteorites from Krypton, on the other hand, travelled through space at sub-light velocity and should have taken millions of years to reach Earth if at all.
I don't think this origin works too well. I still like the general idea of kryptonite, if we can just come up with a satisfactory explanation of how it gets to Earth.

John Byrne took care of this 30 years ago, his Hyperdrive sucked in a load of the stuff.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 06:47 PM   #3189
UssGlenn
Captain

I've always thought it would make more sense if kryptonite just removes his powers, not kills him. If it reproduces the effect of Krypton's atmosphere, that's exactly what it would do.
Old July 29 2014, 06:53 PM   #3190
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Is the reason not that Krypton was poisoned or contaminated before being destroyed and that's why it's fatal to him?
Old July 29 2014, 06:56 PM   #3191
Scherazade
Ensign

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

John Byrne took care of this 30 years ago, his Hyperdrive sucked in a load of the stuff.
But in MOS, Kal-El's spaceship left Krypton quite some time before the planet exploded. So unless some came with Zod, there is no obvious way that pieces of Krypton could've made it to Earth.

As some have already speculated, it seems like an artificial Kryptonite will need to be made if the writers want a convenient way to artificially weaken Superman.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 07:50 PM   #3192
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

There could be any number of handwavium explanations for how Kryptonite works in the MOS - verse, but artificially re-creating the Kryptonian atmosphere seems the most in-line with what was established in MOS.
Old July 29 2014, 07:51 PM   #3193
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Scherazade wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post

But in MOS, Kal-El's spaceship left Krypton quite some time before the planet exploded. So unless some came with Zod, there is no obvious way that pieces of Krypton could've made it to Earth.

As some have already speculated, it seems like an artificial Kryptonite will need to be made if the writers want a convenient way to artificially weaken Superman.
Maybe the first Kryptonians on Earth (whose spacecraft was discovered by Kal-El in MoS) had something to do with the creation of Kryptonite.
Old July 29 2014, 07:57 PM   #3194
Drekstar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think one of the points some people raise is the issue with Wonder Woman and her costume. I think it's fine, though, I kinda like it. Who knows if she found some Kryptonite on Themiscyra. Somehow.
Drekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 09:16 PM   #3195
davejames
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
There could be any number of handwavium explanations for how Kryptonite works in the MOS - verse, but artificially re-creating the Kryptonian atmosphere seems the most in-line with what was established in MOS.
Agreed. I'd much rather Batman find a way to either recreate the Kryptonian atmosphere (perhaps by reverse-engineering a generator from one of the ships) or generate radiation similar to that of a red sun to cancel out Superman's powers.

Even if you can find a way to plausibly explain it, kryptonite has just been done to death by this point, and I'm really hoping they don't use it.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote