RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,716
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 601
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 28 2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Janeway's Girl
Commander

Action Figures

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. I am thinking of getting an action figure but I'm torn between the 9" or 12"? In terms of detail and actor resemblance, which is better? Are both dressed in cloth or just painted? I prefer cloth.

Also, I know the majority of people keep them in their packaging but is it okay to take them out and display them instead?
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Action Figures

I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.
Old July 28 2014, 06:24 AM   #3
fireproof78
Lieutenant Commander

Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. I am thinking of getting an action figure but I'm torn between the 9" or 12"? In terms of detail and actor resemblance, which is better? Are both dressed in cloth or just painted? I prefer cloth.

Also, I know the majority of people keep them in their packaging but is it okay to take them out and display them instead?
Generally speaking, both 9 and 12 inch are dressed in cloth. I'm not a collector in the sense of keeping or displaying things, but I have been looking at creating displays of a bridge with one crew or another. The 9 inch has a little more variety, I've found, but the 12 inch can work with many other action figures in the same scale-GI JOE, Barbie, Star Wars, etc.

A quick run down on the 9 inch collection: https://www.mastercollector.com/arti...w102204-10.htm

12 inch had a little bit more variety, and was tied in with a couple of films (Insurrection and Star Trek 09, for instance), so it depends on what era you are wanting to collect.

Hope that helps!
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 06:48 AM   #4
SPCTRE
That Wizard

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
I've never understood buying something and then keeping it in the original package, because I never consider resale value. If I buy something, I want to play with it.
Heresy! Heresy, I say! Burn the witch!
Old July 28 2014, 07:21 AM   #5
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I'm rather disturbed that you think it's necessary to ask our opinion about what you can do with something you buy. Do whatever you want.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 07:33 AM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I miss Art Asylum.

And no freaking plastic coffins for me, my babies are free!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 08:59 AM   #7
SPCTRE
That Wizard

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

You people are all crazy, what's next? Buying books and then open and leaf through them? Buying a car and then drive around in it? Barbarians!

Old July 28 2014, 10:09 AM   #8
CorporalClegg
Admiral

What gets me are people who buy collectors' guitars and then play them!

Taking action figures out of the package is fine unless it's Marauder Mo.
Old July 28 2014, 07:57 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

If that's what you want to do, not only is it okay, it is your fundamental right to do so.

I've been collecting action figures for nearly 40 years. The only ones that are in their original packaging are only a handful with re-sealable packaging. The rest lose their packaging as soon as I get them home. And I display the heck out of them on my living room table (when I don't have company over), often rotating between various toylines at my discretion.
Old July 28 2014, 08:39 PM   #10
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Melakon wrote: View Post
Completely agree. I'm the first to admit I've got more Trek action figures than I need or should have. But I use them rather than just have them in boxes.

teacake wrote: View Post
I miss Art Asylum.
This.

Without a doubt, my favorite Action figures. Especially their early work with Enterprise, Nemesis and TOS. Some of their TNG work was good, but eventually they started to go downhill. It's really too bad. I'm glad we got some DS9 out of the AA/DST group, but it remains a big bummer that they never did anything from VOY.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Janeway's Girl
Commander

I have always thought it was weird to keep stuff in it's packaging. I understand people do that to make money off them but if you are just going to sell, what's the point of buying in the first place?
Old July 28 2014, 08:55 PM   #12
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I have always thought it was weird to keep stuff in it's packaging. I understand people do that to make money off them but if you are just going to sell, what's the point of buying in the first place?
I think people who do that see the item solely as an investment.

I.E buy a special-print vinyl record for $30, keep it in the package, and two decades later it's worth $1000. People stick to things they're interested because they know a lot about it and can make educated guesses as to what its appreciation will be.
Old July 28 2014, 09:17 PM   #13
Janeway's Girl
Commander

Yeah I guess that makes sense.
Old July 28 2014, 09:25 PM   #14
Janeway's Girl
Commander

fireproof78 wrote: View Post

Generally speaking, both 9 and 12 inch are dressed in cloth. I'm not a collector in the sense of keeping or displaying things, but I have been looking at creating displays of a bridge with one crew or another. The 9 inch has a little more variety, I've found, but the 12 inch can work with many other action figures in the same scale-GI JOE, Barbie, Star Wars, etc.

A quick run down on the 9 inch collection: https://www.mastercollector.com/arti...w102204-10.htm

12 inch had a little bit more variety, and was tied in with a couple of films (Insurrection and Star Trek 09, for instance), so it depends on what era you are wanting to collect.

Hope that helps!
Era? Meaning which series? Voyager!
Old July 29 2014, 01:56 AM   #15
Janeway's Girl
Commander

Does anyone know of a good reliable website to buy from?