Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 0 0%
A 0 0%
A- 0 0%
B+ 1 25.00%
B 3 75.00%
B- 0 0%
C+ 0 0%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24 2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Agent Richard07
Retired

HERCULES - Grading & Discussion

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

The new Hercules movie starring Dwayne Johnson is out. It's based on the graphic novel Hercules: The Thracian Wars, written by the recently deceased Scott Moore who was a mentor to Alan Moore (no relation).

On paper, Brett Ratner sounds like such an improbable choice to direct a large-scale ancient Greek epic that, going into his "Hercules," one could only hope for a less aggressively preposterous affair than Renny Harlinís bargain-basement "The Legend of Hercules" from earlier this year. The happy surprise is that Ratnerís "Hercules" is more than a mere improvement on its predecessor. Itís a grandly staged, solidly entertaining, old-fashioned adventure movie that does something no other Hercules movie has quite done before: it cuts the mythical son of Zeus down to human size (or as human as you can get while still being played by Dwayne Johnson). The result is a far classier pic than Paramountís frenetic trailer ó and decision to hide the film from reviewers until the eleventh hour ó foretold, albeit one that will struggle to find its sea legs at a crowded and underperforming summer box office. Overseas prospects look sunnier. - Variety
"We approached the director," said the 55-year-old Sorbo in a recent interview with the syndicated entertainment program Dish Nation. "I donít know what his reasons are. I donít know if it was political or ego or what it is. To not put me in for a stupid little cameo? The audience would have loved it." - Kevin Sorbo unhappy heís not in new Hercules movie
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 04:43 PM   #2
John Clark
Commodore

Re: HERCULES - Grading & Discussion

We're going to see this tomorrow.
Old July 26 2014, 06:12 AM   #3
Agent Richard07
Retired

I saw it today and have some mixed feeling about it. It didn't do anything extraordinary with the story or the action but I did like the cast as well as how they handled the legend of Hercules.

The trailers are misleading. Aside from being about Hercules, this isn't a fantasy movie with gods and monsters. It's played real world straight, for the most part. Gods, centaurs, three-headed dogs and other mythical elements are there but they're integrated into the story in a real world way. I won't say any more. Check out the movie to see what they did.

Did I go to see Hercules? No, I went to see The Rock as Hercules and I wasn't disappointed. He delivered a pretty decent Hercules. I also liked the rest of the cast. Ian McShane played his character as wise, lighthearted and fun, and he was right there with Rufus Sewell in the same movie. I'm pointing this out because they look alike and I seem to remember getting them confused in the past. There was also Reece Ritchie as Iolaus who held his own the way Michael Hurst did on Kevin Sorbo's show. He reminded me of the young Adama from BSG. Want a Wonder Woman fix? There's that too. Ingrid BolsÝ Berdal played an amazon and did so to perfection. Gotta give a shout out to Askel Hennie, William Hurt, Joseph Fiennes and all the rest who brought their parts to life as well.
Old July 26 2014, 02:30 PM   #4
John Clark
Commodore

We went and saw the 3d version. Due to the show times, it actually worked out cheaper than the 2d version.
The 3d wasn't particularly necessary for most of the film in my opinion, but it seemed to add depth.

I thought the film itself was entertaining enough and liked the cast.
Old July 27 2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Nice to see Sewell playing against his usual type by NOT being the villain this time.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 01:22 AM   #6
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Saw this yesterday. Really liked it, thought Dwayne Johnson did a good job. Interesting take on the mythos/legend but given some of Herc's show of strength over the course of the movie I suspect that while the stories of his travels and accomplishments may have been BS, he still had some pretty super-human strength so likely his mythological origins (being the son of Zeus) still was in play.

I saw it in 3D and thought it looked very good, probably one of the better 3D movies.

His entourage also were an interesting group of characters too.
Old August 1 2014, 03:05 AM   #7
Agent Richard07
Retired

Yep. It's worth a look but it isn't doing too well at the box office. It only made $68 million worldwide as of this posting and it probably won't break even. I'm guessing no sequel. Unless they do a direct-to-video release starring Kevin Sorbo like they did with Johnson's 2004 movie, Walking Tall.
Old August 1 2014, 03:21 AM   #8
Mr Light
Admiral

I saw this and was not that impressed. I was incredibly disappointed that it was a "real world" Hercules story with no paranormal elements whatsoever. The story and the villains just were not interesting.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 03:22 AM   #9
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

Saw it yesterday. It's really quite formulaic in plot, but I enjoyed the take on Hercules that might be best described as "anti-myth/fate." Surprisingly good, and Ian McShane makes the most of his every scene.
Old August 1 2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I dunno, like I said, I'd still argue the supernatural is still there, just not maybe as strong as it is on other takes of the character. Many of feats of strength Herc performs (like tipping over the giant statue of Hera, including crushing the marble/concrete under him) would require some supernatural levels of strength. So, yeah, while Hydras, Centaurs and other mythological beasts may not exist it would seem that Herc is still supernatural and not a mere human.
Old August 1 2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ I chalked it up to adrenaline or something like that. He didn't just go and push it over, they made a point to show that he simply dislodged it enough for it to collapse. It was more than a real-world move but not quite supernatural, if you ask me.
Old August 1 2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

John Clark wrote: View Post
The 3d wasn't particularly necessary for most of the film in my opinion, but it seemed to add depth.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 06:14 PM   #13
John Clark
Commodore

Forbin wrote: View Post
Yeah, that doesn't seem to have come out quite right.
Old August 1 2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ I chalked it up to adrenaline or something like that. He didn't just go and push it over, they made a point to show that he simply dislodged it enough for it to collapse. It was more than a real-world move but not quite supernatural, if you ask me.
The Hera statue was a GIANT statue made of marble, him pushing it over caused the ground to crumble and crush beneath his feet from the coutner-force. Seems pretty super-natural, or at least super-human, to me.
Old August 2 2014, 06:23 AM   #15
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

I see your point. The toppling of the statue is unbelievable and unrealistic, but I don't know that I find it any more super natural than another action movie hero surviving a car/plane/helicopter crash, or walking away from an explosion that would kill a real man.

To be more specific about why I said "anti-myth/ fate," the hydra is presented one way in story and another way in memory. We see centaurs and Cerberus, but with a twist. All of that strikes me as a statement that this in not the Hercules we are used to. As to fate, what happens to Ian McShane's character is as blatant as it is funny.