Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 19 2014, 08:24 AM   #46
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: 'Tacky' by Weird Al Yankovic

tighr wrote: View Post
I hope you're not referring to those 5 songs when talking about "these songs will be all but forgotten"... they are actual legit classics. Hopefully you're talking about some of the other songs like Blurred Lines, Royals, and Happy, which I don't see becoming classics.
Isn't that what I said?
Old July 19 2014, 08:36 AM   #47
Lance
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
(*) This is an overlooked factor. One thing about some of Al's previous albums is that the songs have been great but the references have been out-of-date by the time the album eventually gets published. But this time it seems Al is literally right on top of current music.
I'm going to have to disagree here.

All of Al's best songs are parodies of classics:

"American Pie"
"Another One Bites the Dust"
"Bad"
"Like a Virgin"
"Smells Like Teen Spirit"
etc.

I'd bet most of these songs will be all but forgotten within ten years. And the parodies will go the way of "Amish Paradise" where the parody outlives the original. And while it's a funny song, it's nothing compared to the parodies of those I listed above.
While I can certainly see "Blurred Lines" as being a flash-in-the-pan (I've virtually forgotten it aleady), I'm not so sure I'd say the same for Royals or Happy. The first time I ever heard those I genuinely thought 'Those Are Classics Of The Future', particularly in the case of Happy.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make isn't necessarily about the original songs being remembered fondly into the future, more that the songs themselves are strong enough that they lift Al's parodies. His versions are stronger because the originals are already excellent songs, something we've seen a lot this year. Your example is a good one, even if nobody ever did remember Gangsta's Paradise, the point is that it *was* a strong song in itself, which is the basis for why Al's parody was also excellent. I guess I'm saying that parodies are only really as good as the thing they are parodying.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 08:57 AM   #48
J. Allen
効率はマジックである

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

"Foil" is damn near perfect for me, as is "Tacky," and "Word Crimes." I really like "Handy," and "Sports Song" as well. I still have my CD sitting on my desk, but I'm not playing it until I've watched all of the videos. Since this is his last official label release, I'm taking my time.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 09:17 AM   #49
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Well it might not be his last official release, last I read this is just the end of his contract and he's going to see where things go, he may sign for another contract.
Old July 19 2014, 09:21 AM   #50
J. Allen
効率はマジックである

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Well it might not be his last official release, last I read this is just the end of his contract and he's going to see where things go, he may sign for another contract.
True, but this is definitely the last album on this label, one he's been with for 30 years, so it's a bit special to me.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 09:35 AM   #51
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I would respect his decision to retire, but god I really wish he would stick around in time to do another Star Wars Parody.

I've heard the album, and it was very good. The song I've heard the most so far, for some reason, is Jackson Park Express. Also loved Word Crimes and Foils.
Old July 19 2014, 03:40 PM   #52
Australis
Writer

One song he did that isn't technically a parody (its one of the songs he does that is in the style of a certain artist, but not a parody of a specific song) that I actually laughed out loud to a few times was Jackson Park Express (done in the style of someone named Cat Stevens, whose name I recognize but don't know any of his songs).
Ummm, not heard album, but Cat Stevens was well known in the 70s (yes I'm old), and had a big hit with 'Peace Train':

"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 02:16 AM   #53
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I hadn't even noticed that Al was invited to play Sir Issac Newton in his ERB with Bill Nye. Seems appropriate...

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 06:15 PM   #54
tighr
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
I hope you're not referring to those 5 songs when talking about "these songs will be all but forgotten"... they are actual legit classics. Hopefully you're talking about some of the other songs like Blurred Lines, Royals, and Happy, which I don't see becoming classics.
Isn't that what I said?
Oh, I must have misinterpreted you. Yes, that's exactly what you said, sorry.

I blame it on the common literary mistake of people saying "be all but ____" when what they actually mean is " be _____". When you're saying something is all but, you literally mean it is everything but. I thought you were saying songs like Teen Spirit and American Pie will be forgotten, which I disagree with.

Kinda like "I could care less", when people actually mean "I couldn't care less".
Old July 23 2014, 08:44 PM   #55
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

That's because you're not a teenager right now. You aren't going to be nostalgic for the music of now in 10 years but the kids now will be.
I'm a full grown adult and I'm enamored with her voice. Her writing is meh, for example:

I'm kind of over gettin' told to throw my hands up in the air
Great commentary! Followed by:

So there
Wait, that's how you end the line? Depth followed by annoyed dismissal.

But she's young. She'll grow. I think she has a bright future ahead of her. And Royals is one of those new classics, I think.
Old July 23 2014, 09:52 PM   #56
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Al's number one

But wait, there's no polka video?
Old July 24 2014, 12:53 AM   #57
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Yoda wrote: View Post
Al's number one

But wait, there's no polka video?
Heck yea! That's really cool! Congrats to him.

That sucks . But it's still an accomplishment.
Old July 26 2014, 07:31 PM   #58
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^There's never been a polka video, ever (except for these ones) :

Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 01:09 AM   #59
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Good for Al, getting a #1. He's still got it, even if I don't know what he's parodying.
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 06:47 PM   #60
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
I managed to know reasonably well all the songs he was parodying except for "Fancy". And that shit's so bad it's not even worth being parodied.
Truth.

Hey, check this out!
[Yankovic] On doing a parody of Frozen's "Let It Go":

You know what, I was very close to doing a parody called "Make It So" about Star Trek: The Next Generation… but then I checked online, and of course, somebody had done that already. And apparently it had gotten enough attention online to make the Disney legal department ask them to take it down! I couldn't think of an idea that I liked as much as "Make It So," so… I gave up!
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote