Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 11 2014, 02:14 AM   #16
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Pleasancies of Rewatching

Rewatched Bounty and The Expanse today.

I love the Klingons-really-kinda-hate-Archer plotline through the last third or so of season two. Having had him escape from Rura Penthe was a nice touch.

The whole Xindi arc starting with the attack on Earth is very well-done. An odd kind of political/war/almost DS9-style grittiness to throw into the very optimistic and generally positive mix of space exploration and naivete that Archer and Company possess through S1 and 2.

I really love this show. It's quirky.
foxmulder710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 10:25 PM   #17
BMariner
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isolinear wrote: View Post
- Hoshi, Reed and Phlox could have been so much more. Underused in Season 3 and 4.
Phlox and Reed, yes. Hoshi and Mayweather, no. Not everybody needs their own plotline. I grew up loving TOS characters like Checkov and Sulu, then upon re-watch last year I realized they're hardly used. I found myself really annoyed at the larger roles they played in the movies. Sometimes less is more.

Last edited by BMariner; July 11 2014 at 10:35 PM.
BMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 07:31 PM   #18
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

I adore the tone of the series throughout season 3. This gritty, dark, military style.

The database-download scene from Anomaly was very much like a video game objective.
Old July 12 2014, 08:23 PM   #19
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

Skipping Extinction for now. Read this instead: http://www.jammersreviews.com/st-ent/s3/extinction.php
Old July 12 2014, 08:30 PM   #20
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

OK cancel that I might miss some small and used-in-the-arc detail. I jumped to the next episode and felt like I'd missed something important that had happened.

The metallic craft on the planet from Extinction is definitely a redress of the temporal pod from last season. They use SO much over and over through redressing on this show.
Old July 13 2014, 12:51 AM   #21
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Don't skip episodes because a reviewer thinks an episode is bad. There are a lot of reviews on that site that I don't agree with. And even truly awful episodes often have good scenes in a B-storyline if the A-storyline isn't any good.

Yes, all Star Trek series re-used a lot of props, sets, effects and even actors. I think it's funny if done right. Does anybody know of a thread on this forum discussing this topic? I'd love to read about this kind of nitpicky stuff; Spot the prop.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 08:01 PM   #22
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Yes, all Star Trek series re-used a lot of props, sets, effects and even actors. I think it's funny if done right. Does anybody know of a thread on this forum discussing this topic? I'd love to read about this kind of nitpicky stuff; Spot the prop.
Not a thread here, but Ex Astris Scientia keeps pretty through articles on reused ships/props/etc. They have a bunch of "re-used..." articles here:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm

All series from TNG on shared a ton of props, naturally this is because much of the same production team stayed on from TNG through ENT, and they were all shot continuously on the same sets, with access to the same archives of props, costumes, etc.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:18 PM   #23
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

Cool!

Rajin has been great, not only because they chose a beautiful actress for the titular character but also it's fun to see the Xindi and our crew finally combat, especially in person on the ship.
Old July 15 2014, 12:21 AM   #24
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

Also very interesting, related to the props idea: I've noticed the reuse of much "later" SOUNDS. Like when in Impulse the MACO sets his rifle to kill and then back to stun, it's the same sound used later on First Contact and other TNG-era phaser-setting sounds. Also the computer sound very much the same generally - small sounds here and there.

Especially of note, most enjoyed, is that on the NX-01 bridge you can sometimes hear sounds DIRECTLY reminiscent of the TOS bridge.

It's an interesting quirk that I'd love to hear an in-universe explanation for. In real life, clearly the production team found it easier than looking for or producing new sounds, I know.
Old July 15 2014, 11:17 AM   #25
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Would Starfleet really feel the need to change their sound effects in 200 years? Once one is established, like the communicator chirp, why not keep it? Just like us Trekkies are programmed to know what it means, Starfleet officers would be too.
Old July 15 2014, 01:18 PM   #26
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Would Starfleet really feel the need to change their sound effects in 200 years? Once one is established, like the communicator chirp, why not keep it? Just like us Trekkies are programmed to know what it means, Starfleet officers would be too.
I'd say it would almost be needed - in a combat situation, you don't want someone wasting a fraction of a second thinking, does that mean stun or kill?

You want them to just know.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 12:05 AM   #27
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist moderator

And even truly awful episodes often have good scenes in a B-storyline if the A-storyline isn't any good.
This. I have found something to like about every episode, even if it's just a nice scene of character interaction, a passage of music, a striking visual, an interesting directing choice.
Old July 16 2014, 12:46 AM   #28
Melakon
Admiral

It's always a delight discovering a fancy complex lengthy camera move for the first time in an episode that might have little to otherwise recommend it.
Old July 22 2014, 07:25 PM   #29
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

So I got a virus on my trip home to New Orleans and ended up watching a LOT of ENT during my convalescence.

Got as far as Harbinger. It seems to me - with the Xyrillians, that woman who was being transported by those pirates, Corporal Cole, and now T'Pol - that Trip is the ladies man of ENT. The 22nd century incarnation of Kirk's womanizing or Riker's from the 24th.

I like how there seems to be patterns in the appearance of characters. You always have not just the basic crew - captain, first officer, science officer, tactical, chief engineer - but also people who play certain roles WITHIN the main cast. Like there's always been an "alien/outsider" character: Spock, Data, Odo, The Doctor/Seven, and now T'Pol.

Anyone notice this kind of thing?
Old July 31 2014, 06:41 AM   #30
foxmulder710
Lieutenant Commander

Definitely cried when Hoshi, T'Pol, Reed, etc. found out that Archer was still alive.

ESPECIALLY at the sad puppy face T'Pol made when Archer was suddenly in front of her again. THAT was THE redemption for whatever didn't work about Storm Front.

As a concept, that whole episode was nuts. But her face and acting and reaction to him were brilliant and perfect and such a great counterpoint to her as a character in Broken Bow.