Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 21 2007, 02:05 AM   #1
Lord Garth

The Official Welcome Thread

Another poster suggested a thread of this type and I agreed. I haven't kept up with the exact numbers of membership but if you have joined TrekBBS due to the new movie, I'd like to extend a welcome.

Feel free to post whatever comes to mind, don't be afraid to ask a question that you think someone who's been around forever has heard 50 million times. Please feel free to spread enthusiasm for the new movie as it might even become contagious. If you aren't enthuastic about the movie that's fine as well, believe it or not.

I'd appreciate it if you took the opportunity to introduce yourself if you're new, or even if you're old.

I joined TrekBBS in the summer of 1999 and have been a moderator for almost six years. I'm looking forward to this movie, TOS is my favorite Star Trek series, and I've been a fan since I was 11 (in 1991 not 1966). The other sci-fi interest of mine is the new Battlestar Galactica.

My field of work is television production which has included news interviews, digital editing, and taping sports even though I'm not a sports fan. Once you shoot a game everything else is child's play, but post-production is my personal preference.
Old September 21 2007, 02:27 AM   #2
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: The official welcome thread

I'm Samuel T. Cogley. I'm an old, crusty curmudgeon. If you like something, I probably don't. And I'll tell you why you shouldn't like it either.

If you are hot, please send your photos to samueltcogley@hotmail.com

Don't bother sending contact info. I won't call you back.

I'm an attorney. I got Kirk off. And he liked it.

Now go away and leave me alone.
Old September 21 2007, 03:28 AM   #3
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Great idea, Garth.

And first let's cover that for new TrekBBS members. It is a board request that you use bold type for a poster's name if you mention them in one of your posts.

My name is Gregg and I'm an original Trekkie, having beamed on board the Enterprise for the premiere of Star Trek on NBC. I was 13 at the time, just the right age to have Star Trek warp me for the rest of my life.

I'm looking forward to this movie with great hope. I want Star Trek to live and grow, and the success of the new movie can insure that for a decade. Please don't let it suck...please don't let it suck...please don't let it suck...

Welcome to TrekBBS. There are good folks here.
Old September 21 2007, 03:51 AM   #4
Plum
Rear Admiral

Well, good idea. I've run into a number of newcomers here lately. The buzz is on!

I, of course - am an avatar, not a doctor.
Old September 21 2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Dale
Vice Admiral

Hello to all! In "board years" I'm older than the rumors of the new movie and newer than the old series. I've been a Trekkie all my life, which has spanned 42-and-some years thus far.

There are cool, funny and friendly people here, all united by their love for (or their love of bitching about) Star Trek in all its incarations... a United Federation of People, if you will.

I am filled with hope for the new movie and a revitalization of our favorite franchise.

I like pie.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2007, 02:09 AM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

My name is Temis, and I'm a Vortaholic. My main claim to fame is that I am single-handedly responsible for Zachary Quinto being cast as Spock, unless he sucks, in which case I never heard of the guy.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2007, 03:41 AM   #7
Lord Garth

Everyone please give a welcome to Kira's Mom, who'll be joining the forum as a second moderator!

The extra coverage will be a lot of help and, with your assistance, hopefully all we have to do is make sure every thread is read instead of actual work.
Old September 22 2007, 05:08 AM   #8
Dale
Vice Admiral

Hi Mom!
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2007, 05:08 AM   #9
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Thanks, Lord Garth! I'm sure this will be an easy place to mod.
Old September 22 2007, 05:27 AM   #10
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

hi km,
good to know you will be around more often.

Old September 22 2007, 05:29 AM   #11
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Yeah...I'll probably be here a lot. It's going to get very busy!
Old September 22 2007, 07:03 AM   #12
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Hi, all. I'm Turbo, and I must be insane, because I seem to be the only person on Earth who doesn't like anything that J.J. Abrams has ever done.

As such, I fear for this movie, but I won't pass judgement on it until I see it.

Old September 22 2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Woulfe
Commodore

Hello, I'm Woulfe and I'm an addit too....
What ? this isn't Star Trek annon ?
Well shoot, forget what I just said....
I'm yer basic comic relief useually.

I have 40 years of pop-culture stuck in my brain, forget things like math and whatnot, I remember song lyrics and useless trivia that no one even cares about anymore

I useually make a random sig at the bottom of my posts that have nothing to do with anything at all, just random thoughts from my brain.

I think the film will be just fine as long as we keep an open mind, and a closed wallet 'till we get to the day it arrives at a theater near you

Then we'll see if it sinks or swims.

- W -
* Useless Trivia : Gordon Shumway is from the planet Melmac and he eats cats. *
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Turbo said:
Hi, all. I'm Turbo, and I must be insane, because I seem to be the only person on Earth who doesn't like anything that J.J. Abrams has ever done.

As such, I fear for this movie, but I won't pass judgement on it until I see it.

No, you're not the only one who can't see the hype about this man's previous work. It's mostly crap as far as I'm concerned. Having said that however, I am giving the movie all the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it will revitalize the franchise and we'll get another shot at a TV series someday.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2007, 05:20 AM   #15
chancellorjake
Captain

Hi all, I'm chancellorjake , but you can call me chance. I joined TrekBBS around the time of Enterprise's demise, but I mostly lurk all the time. The approach of Star Trek XI has me really excited and I might actually comment, occasionally . Also, my handle has nothing to do with Klingons or the leader of the High Command.
chancellorjake is offline   Reply With Quote