Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Trek Actors At The Oscars
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Retro Review: The Changing Face of Evil
By: Michelle on Feb 21

Star Trek-Themed Van Sold
By: T'Bonz on Feb 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 19 2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: 20 most Cringeworthy Scenes in the New Trek films???

Totally agree with all of what was listed in the OP, though my order may be somewhat different and I'd probably have to add the gross unprofessionalism of NuUhura in STiD, as well starship underwater, and massive violation of the Prime Directive at the start of the movie. Not to mention ridiculasly large starships, superwarp and interstellar beaming.

All cringe inducing I find.
Old July 19 2014, 08:24 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Not to mention ridiculasly large starships...
Honestly, what is the difference between a 400-, a 700- or a 1,000-meter starship? What about that is somehow "ridiculous" or "cringeworthy"?
Old July 19 2014, 08:31 PM   #18
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

...and massive violation of the Prime Directive at the start of the movie.
I LOVED that - totally in keeping with Kirk's character IMO. It was so refreshing we didn't have to sit through a tedious conference about it - or some kind of spooky "spirit walk" with "prophets" etc.
Old July 19 2014, 08:36 PM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Totally agree with all of what was listed in the OP, though my order may be somewhat different and I'd probably have to add the gross unprofessionalism of NuUhura in STiD, as well starship underwater, and massive violation of the Prime Directive at the start of the movie. Not to mention ridiculasly large starships, superwarp and interstellar beaming.

Why would those cause anyone to cringe?

Star Trek characters act "unprofessionally" all the time. They steal starships, go on personal quests for vengence and romance associates all the time.

Yeah, taking the ship underwater is a bad idea. Scotty even brings it up.

Violating the Prime Directive is a ST staple. It was created so the characters could violate it. A little late in game to complain about it.

Its a fictional space ship. There is no way it can be "ridiculasly (sic) large."

Superwarp and interstellar beaming have been used as plot elements before. Hardly precedent setting or cringe inducing.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 08:37 PM   #20
CorporalClegg
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Honestly, what is the difference between a 400-, a 700- or a 1,000-meter starship? What about that is somehow "ridiculous" or "cringeworthy"?
Size doesn't matter.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself.
Old July 19 2014, 08:37 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I LOVED that - totally in keeping with Kirk's character IMO. It was so refreshing we didn't have to sit through a tedious conference about it - or some kind of spooky "spirit walk" with "prophets" etc.
This.

And is it really that big of a violation to begin with? I agree with Kirk's assessment: they saw us, big deal. A few natives saw the Enterprise. For a while there will be stories about it among them. Then it will simply fade away with time.

And I'd rather watch Kirk save people than see Picard and his officers sit on their hands and mumble about a "cosmic plan".
Old July 19 2014, 08:38 PM   #22
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

A severe case of starship envy, me thinks
Old July 19 2014, 08:39 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Size doesn't matter.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself.
I have to keep telling that to the wife. I'm not sure she's buying it.
Old July 19 2014, 08:47 PM   #24
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I actually thought the Enterprise in TOS was ridiculously small. Starships only about the length of aircraft carriers (with a good part of that length due to the engines)? A saucer only football field length in diameter. A secondary hull only a bit longer than a football field and at its tallest only about the size of a seven story building. Its size wouldn't look impressive compared to today's cruise ships.

The crew of only 430 felt wrong in many ways, too, given the many needs aboard ship and the need for redundancy in jobs.

Space is big. Why such small ships? I think sizing things up (starting with the TNG Enterprise then with the Abrams Enterprise) was a good idea.
Old July 19 2014, 09:35 PM   #25
xavier
Commander

Really, You got to be kidding. Uhura is unprofessional?

Kirk would be worst in that area. The real thing that is cringeworthy is when fans say Uhura is unprofessional but some how they give the guys a free pass.

Lets count the time Kirk acted unprofessional shall we:

He rigged the kobayashi maru test

he screams at Spock when he was captain in the first film and they were on a more dangerous mission.
he ridiculed his teachers
he uses girls for sex and to pass exams
In into darkness he chews out spock in front of captain pike for not going along with him by lying about the mission.
Kirk got on the enterprise because he was friends with bones. Uhura got on the enterprise because she was top in her class.

From my veiw point, I think all this behaviors at time shows how three dimensional the characters are but if people are going to chew the girl out for being unprofessional you may as well chew the guys out who are twice as worse.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 09:37 PM   #26
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Star Trek characters act "unprofessionally" all the time. They steal starships, go on personal quests for vengence and romance associates all the time.

Violating the Prime Directive is a ST staple. It was created so the characters could violate it. A little late in game to complain about it.

Its a fictional space ship. There is no way it can be "ridiculasly (sic) large."

Superwarp and interstellar beaming have been used as plot elements before. Hardly precedent setting or cringe inducing.
This.

And is it really that big of a violation to begin with? I agree with Kirk's assessment: they saw us, big deal. A few natives saw the Enterprise. For a while there will be stories about it among them. Then it will simply fade away with time.

And I'd rather watch Kirk save people than see Picard and his officers sit on their hands and mumble about a "cosmic plan".
The thing about Kirk violating the Prime Directive at the start of the movie was that he was not only called out on it, he was severely reprimanded and demoted, too. It'd be cringeworthy if he got off scott free, like Pike ruffling his hair and then buying him a beer; or even worse, the matter dropped altogether like the dozens of times that the Prime captains did it. But we have not only follow up, but the start of Kirk's character arc for the movie -- and that ultimately ends with him apologizing to the crew and sacrificing his life in the warp core.
Old July 19 2014, 09:41 PM   #27
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

This.

The thing about Kirk violating the Prime Directive at the start of the movie was that he was not only called out on it, he was severely reprimanded and demoted, too. It'd be cringeworthy if he got off scott free, like Pike ruffling his hair and then buying him a beer; or even worse, the matter dropped altogether like the dozens of times that the Prime captains did it. But we have not only follow up, but the start of Kirk's character arc for the movie -- and that ultimately ends with him apologizing to the crew and sacrificing his life in the warp core.

+1
Old July 19 2014, 11:34 PM   #28
austen_pierce
Captain

13. Hi, Christopher, I’m Nero” From Star Trek

This is one of my favorite lines in NuTrek. The sudden dropping of all pretense, the deadpan delivery from Eric Bana. I knew at once that we finally had a bad guy we could take seriously. IMO Nero is the best Trek bad guy since TWOK-Khan (and yes, I had to go there). He didn't monologue, he just acted. It was epic.
Old July 19 2014, 11:50 PM   #29
Franklin
Rear Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post

This is one of my favorite lines in NuTrek. The sudden dropping of all pretense, the deadpan delivery from Eric Bana. I knew at once that we finally had a bad guy we could take seriously. IMO Nero is the best Trek bad guy since TWOK-Khan (and yes, I had to go there). He didn't monologue, he just acted. It was epic.
Since Nero is a civilian, so he doesn't have any protocol or courtesy to adhere to in how he addresses Pike. The delivery actually reminded me of Bill Murray. I thought it was great, too.
Old July 19 2014, 11:56 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post

Franklin wrote: View Post

Since Nero is a civilian, so he doesn't have any protocol or courtesy to adhere to in how he addresses Pike. The delivery actually reminded me of Bill Murray. I thought it was great, too.
+1 to both of these.