RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,182
Posts: 5,435,808
Members: 24,947
Currently online: 603
Newest member: CaptainJaymez

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Second Nature.
Outstanding 13 23.21%
Above Average 29 51.79%
Average 11 19.64%
Below Average 2 3.57%
Poor 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 18 2014, 01:43 AM   #16
The Elephant's Graveyard
Clone
 
The Elephant's Graveyard's Avatar
 
Location: trampledamage has mysteriously disappeared...
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

David Mack wrote: View Post
Perhaps one could acronymize the entire series name as STS? I personally don't care for SKS as the acronym, but would have no problem with a four-letter acronym such as SKRS.
Let's go for SKRS then It has the benefit that I'm not going to forget what it stands for like some of the acronyms



Okay, am going to move in the posts from the other thread.
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...

Last edited by The Elephant's Graveyard; July 18 2014 at 01:54 AM.
The Elephant's Graveyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 01:55 AM   #17
The Elephant's Graveyard
Clone
 
The Elephant's Graveyard's Avatar
 
Location: trampledamage has mysteriously disappeared...
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Hopefully all done

I didn't copy over all of the posts, since some of them were discussing the thread. And I copied rather than moved them, so the original thread is intact.
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
The Elephant's Graveyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 02:09 AM   #18
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^ Thanks!
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 03:32 AM   #19
Leto_II
Commander
 
Leto_II's Avatar
 
Location: Room 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Amazon says my copy is now "in preparation for shipping," so...should be here soon. Looking forward to this one very much. Always up for a movie-era book.
__________________
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 01:17 AM   #20
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Leto_II wrote: View Post
Always up for a movie-era book.
I thought these books took place pre-TMP?
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 07:20 AM   #21
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Leto_II wrote: View Post
Amazon says my copy is now "in preparation for shipping," so...should be here soon. Looking forward to this one very much. Always up for a movie-era book.
Not movie era. It's cleary stated in the Historians Note that it takes place in 2269.

About halfway through. Great read. Definatly David Mack.
Seeing that this takes place in the sector of space as Vanguard, and features characters and ships from Vanguard, you'd expect it to have the same vibe. But it's different, and not in a bad way.
Sofar, I'm getting this adventure of the week vibe, which is awesome. Although the events sofar can hardly be described as fun, everything feels 'fun'. And again, I mean that in the best possible way. Vanguard had this overhanging sense of dread of doom and despair. Here, it just feels like a big adventure. Yes, there's peril, yes there's danger. But you feel that our plucky heroes will no doubt prevail, you just can't wait to find out how, and what's happening around them.


Dammit mr Mack, this is one awesome novel sofar.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 10:02 AM   #22
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: I am here. You are here too. Yes.
Re: SKS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

David Mack wrote: View Post
I personally don't care for SKS as the acronym, but would have no problem with a four-letter acronym such as SKRS.


That was a sly joke, right?
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 04:24 PM   #23
David Mack
Writer
 
David Mack's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mage wrote: View Post
About halfway through. Great read. Definatly David Mack.
Seeing that this takes place in the sector of space as Vanguard, and features characters and ships from Vanguard, you'd expect it to have the same vibe. But it's different, and not in a bad way.
Sofar, I'm getting this adventure of the week vibe, which is awesome. Although the events sofar can hardly be described as fun, everything feels 'fun'. And again, I mean that in the best possible way. Vanguard had this overhanging sense of dread of doom and despair. Here, it just feels like a big adventure. Yes, there's peril, yes there's danger. But you feel that our plucky heroes will no doubt prevail, you just can't wait to find out how, and what's happening around them.
I'm very glad to hear that, because it was exactly the tone for which we were aiming when we conceived the series. Dayton, Kevin, and I all want Seekers to feel like a return to the classic sense of wonder and adventure that we loved so much in the old James Blish adaptations, and in many episodes of the original Star Trek.


Dammit mr Mack, this is one awesome novel sofar.
Gracias. I hope it continues to entertain and please.
__________________
~ David Mack | "Where were you when the page was blank?" — Truman Capote

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Leto_II
Commander
 
Leto_II's Avatar
 
Location: Room 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mage wrote: View Post
Leto_II wrote: View Post
Amazon says my copy is now "in preparation for shipping," so...should be here soon. Looking forward to this one very much. Always up for a movie-era book.
Not movie era. It's cleary stated in the Historians Note that it takes place in 2269.
Ah, well...thought I read somewhere in one of these threads that it was early movie-era, but not a prob. Still can't wait to read this.
__________________
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 06:55 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^I think the idea is that Seekers is expected to overlap with the post-series era and eventually the movie era if it goes on long enough.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 07:10 PM   #26
Reanok
Commodore
 
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I preorder both Seekers books. I definitely look forward to reading David Mack's novel.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 07:39 PM   #27
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: SKS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

David Mack wrote: View Post
Perhaps one could acronymize the entire series name as STS? I personally don't care for SKS as the acronym, but would have no problem with a four-letter acronym such as SKRS.
I like SKRS, it seems more like a shorthand and less like a random bunch of letters.

ST TOS
ST TNG
ST DS9
ST VOY
ST VAN
ST SKRS

Yeah, works or me...

Anyhow, my copy's been 'in the post' for several days now, and I'm impatient. Any crossovers Mr Mack ? Now or in future instalments ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Last edited by Relayer1; July 19 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 08:16 PM   #28
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: SKS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

ST TOS
ST TNG
ST DS9
ST VOY
ST VAN
ST SKRS

Yeah, works or me...

Anyhow, my copy's been 'in the post' for several days now, and I'm impatient. Any crossovers Mr Mack ? Now or in future instalments ?
I use VGD for Vanguard, and I've also seen VGR for Voyager. Seems like I'm inconsistent. Also, you forgot ENT.

What's the short for Stargazer?
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 08:25 PM   #29
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: SKS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Markonian wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post

ST TOS
ST TNG
ST DS9
ST VOY
ST VAN
ST SKRS

Yeah, works or me...

Anyhow, my copy's been 'in the post' for several days now, and I'm impatient. Any crossovers Mr Mack ? Now or in future instalments ?
I use VGD for Vanguard, and I've also seen VGR for Voyager. Seems like I'm inconsistent. Also, you forgot ENT.

What's the short for Stargazer?
Hmm...

STRGZR's a bit long.

STGZ ?

Suggestions ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 08:29 PM   #30
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

SGR?
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reviewpoll_v1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.