CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 12 2014, 04:27 PM   #16
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Let's Listen to Star Trek: Season Two!

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Iíve had a hard time getting into Who Mourns because it starts out with Corbomite Maneuver and then seems to go through Steinerís Greatest Hits. Not that I donít love these scores, but if youíre going to track an episode, then track it
Is that stuff tracked? Or did Steiner write a full score, incorporating motifs that he had used for earlier scores?

Itís funny, because there seems to be a difference of opinion on how much John Powell reused of the original for How to Train Your Dragon 2. I think itís not much, and itís all different arrangements. And the new stuff is stunning. Other people think it's a lot of recycling.
I'm not following any of this. Did the score for How To Train Your Dragon 2 have some music from Star Trek in it??
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 08:40 PM   #17
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
Iíve had a hard time getting into Who Mourns because it starts out with Corbomite Maneuver and then seems to go through Steinerís Greatest Hits. Not that I donít love these scores, but if youíre going to track an episode, then track it
Is that stuff tracked? Or did Steiner write a full score, incorporating motifs that he had used for earlier scores?

Itís funny, because there seems to be a difference of opinion on how much John Powell reused of the original for How to Train Your Dragon 2. I think itís not much, and itís all different arrangements. And the new stuff is stunning. Other people think it's a lot of recycling.
I'm not following any of this. Did the score for How To Train Your Dragon 2 have some music from Star Trek in it??
No, it's not tracked. He incorporated it into the score.

HTTYD had no Star Trek music in it (that might have been cool). It was a sequel that (like Who Mourns) incorporated previous themes and arrangements.
Old July 19 2014, 02:33 PM   #18
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Well, this is one of the 900 lb gorillas of Star Trek. When the TOS Box came out people would ask "Why would you want 15 CDs of Nah Nah NAAA NAAA NAAA NAAA NAAA NA NA NA NA?"

For all of the recognition that The Fight music gets for me the real standout of this music is Spock's theme. I like Spock music. Loved Goldsmith's in TMP, loved Horner's in TWOK and TSFS, loved Eidelman's retread of Horner in TUC and I adore Giacchino's theme for Spock in JJ-Trek.

But Fried really set the gold standard. That bass guitar manages to be cold and unfeeling while also being profoundly sad. The string version of the theme certainly doesn't hurt. I love the way it's played at the end of the episode when Spock is talking with T'Pau.

The music under T'Pring's speech is mercifully dialed out. I hated this kind of plink plink music in Catspaw too.

One of the interesting discoveries for me in this set is discovering Fried's theme for Kirk. It's kind of like Giacchino's Kirk theme in that it's all action and danger rather than Courage or Steiner's Captain themes which are more exploration and discovery and the loneliness of command. Watching the episode I was surprised at how specific his use of the theme is. When Kirk is talking with Spock at the beginning of the episode the music is Spock's theme but when Kirk calls the bridge to order the diversion to Vulcan the music switches to the Kirk theme. A small thing but it caught my attention.

Fried's Enterprise music is a little over the top. Which is probably why they tracked in Duning and Courage music for the teaser and the titles.

The ceremony music / fight music is pretty terrific. I like how it's foreshadowed when Spock is describing Pon Far. I always thought it was interesting that when Sarek is introduced rather than using the cold calculating Spock theme they used the crazy combative ceremony music.

That's it. See you on 8/30 for The Doomsday Machine!
Old September 2 2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Whoops! A few days late. Long weekend here in the States.

Well here we are for The Doomsday Machine. I think Amok Time is probably better known than this one to the teeming masses. But since I was a little boy this score has always been definitive Star Trek.

Kaplan brings back his Enterprise fanfare from Enemy Within. Unlike, say, Gerald Fried, Kaplan never really changed this much. As evidenced from the opening track where it plays like forty times.

He uses Courage’s fanfare quite a bit. He makes it heroic he makes it menacing.

Then there’s his Constellation theme. It’s haunting and forlorn. It plays like the sound of far away battlefields, glory long past. I love when it’s played on xylophone during Commodore Matt Decker.

And of course his Doomsday theme. Jaws before there was Jaws. If this didn’t have you on the edge of your seat it was because it had knocked you to the floor.

I didn’t go back and watch the episode with this one like I did with Amok Time. I know there is some music that was either left out or changed, but I can’t tell you what off the top of my head.

A terrific score. One of the best. We had a very nice representation of it on the old GNP disc. The TOS Box is truly a treat.
Old September 2 2014, 05:49 PM   #20
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Well here we are for The Doomsday Machine.
A quick tech note about this score. The GNP album used an incorrect take for one of the cues and that has now crept its way into the multi-channel remix of the remastered episode. The La-La Land set uses the correct take, which can still be heard on the mono track on the Blu-ray. I can't remember which cue it is, just know that the LLL set is the correct take.

Neil
Old September 2 2014, 05:54 PM   #21
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post
I can't remember which cue it is, just know that the LLL set is the correct take.

Neil
Neil! I would expect no less.
Old September 3 2014, 04:22 AM   #22
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

My all time favorite episode and score. It's smashing in every respect. Muscular and exciting, Sol Kaplan was a master and it's a shame this was the last of only two scores for the series.

Well here we are for The Doomsday Machine.
A quick tech note about this score. The GNP album used an incorrect take for one of the cues and that has now crept its way into the multi-channel remix of the remastered episode. The La-La Land set uses the correct take, which can still be heard on the mono track on the Blu-ray. I can't remember which cue it is, just know that the LLL set is the correct take.

Neil
Actually, the GNP CD and the non-mono DVD/BD tracks have TWO incorrect takes: Goodbye M. Decker and One's Enough are both different than the original sound mix of the episode. The LLL set corrects both.
Old September 8 2014, 09:20 PM   #23
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Hey, Happy Star Trek Day! Exactly one year after Star Trek premiered Fred Steiner was back at it scoring Mirror, Mirror.

Mirror, Mirror is another score like Who Mourns for Adonais. If I can get past the “reused” bits (which all work wonderfully) it’s a terrific score. Maybe it’s just because with so few Star Trek scores it bugs me that Steiner could have been writing a NEW bad guy theme rather than reusing his Romulan theme.

But once I get past that I realize that this is like getting Balance of Terror expanded into a larger score. And it’s a good one. The love theme alone is worth the price of admission.

This is a score where my memories of it are chiefly (exclusively?) from the episode it was scored for. Unlike other scores where I remember them better when they were tracked into a different episode.

This isn’t a score I revisit much. Unlike Balance of Terror which I listen to a lot.
Old September 9 2014, 03:37 AM   #24
Harvey
Admiral

Some of my favorite scoring from "Mirror, Mirror" comes from the library cues Alexander Courage wrote during the summer of 1967 for the show.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2014, 04:00 AM   #25
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I grew up with this CED video disc. Do you think the reason for including these two episodes on one disc had something to do with the music?

Neil
Old September 9 2014, 03:36 PM   #26
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Some of my favorite scoring from "Mirror, Mirror" comes from the library cues Alexander Courage wrote during the summer of 1967 for the show.
Those are one of the true highlights of The Box.

I grew up with this CED video disc. Do you think the reason for including these two episodes on one disc had something to do with the music?

Neil
I think we watched that one in seventh grade English. For various reasons that was a big step to me being the nerd I am today.

Wow, what a gorgeous cover. They donít make Ďem like that anymore.
Old September 22 2014, 05:38 PM   #27
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Oh, I was having a bad enough day before this showed up on my calendar. 47 years after it was recorded here is Samuel Matlovsky’s single contribution to Star Trek: I, Mudd.

I hate goofy music. I don’t necessarily hate music for comedies. I love Young Frankenstein, Clue, Dave. But none of those have goofy music. (Mostly.) The last three seasons of Doctor Who have had some unhappy times for me, musically. I hated it when Goldsmith tried to be zany.

So here I am on Eternal Beauty / Crew Gone. Nothing’s really jumping out at me so far. It’s just kind of there to me. It kind of sounds like substandard Vic Mizzy Addams Family.

Some of the atmospheric stuff (such as Gilded Cage / Not Programmed) sounds ok. But that waltz (it’s a waltz, right?) just makes me grind my teeth every time.

It’s not even that I don’t like Mickey Mousing. Some of it slightly reminds me of Barry’s Goldfinger.

The only thing I really dig in this score is Mudd’s Detention / Stella 500. Well, the first part of it.

They recorded a library track? Really? Did it ever get used?

See you on 10/5 for Jerry Fielding’s The Trouble with Tribbles.
Old October 5 2014, 11:25 PM   #28
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Well, right off the bat this is better than I, Mudd. Itís definitely a new voice for Star Trek.

This has light music. But itís not GOOFY music. Well, maybe a little. Ok, it is. But it obviously doesnít cross whatever ďgoofy musicĒ line I have. I like this score. I should listen to it more.

The Tribble music is used just sparingly enough to not make you claw your eyeballs out. But itís a near thing.

Does he use the Trek theme or fanfare at all? Nope. How many composers did that?

I love his fight music. I mean a lot. Maybe more than Friedís. Itís fun, but itís really fight (fite?) music.

How can you not love his ďbagpipeĒ music? BTW, I just read These Are the Voyages Vol. 2. The author makes the claim that Steiner wrote a partial score to By Any Other Name because they needed the bagpipe music. I almost chewed through my teeth! Although to be fair, I associate Scottyís music more with By Any Other Name than Tribbles.

If I canít have more Kaplan I wish we had more Fielding. Just to see what else he would have done. Why does IMDB only credit him with Tribbles and not Specter of the Gun?

Speaking of By Any Other Name, that't next up on 12/27!
Old October 6 2014, 06:41 PM   #29
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

How can you not love his “bagpipe” music? BTW, I just read These Are the Voyages Vol. 2. The author makes the claim that Steiner wrote a partial score to By Any Other Name because they needed the bagpipe music. I almost chewed through my teeth! Although to be fair, I associate Scotty’s music more with By Any Other Name than Tribbles.
It is inexcusable that his books have any music errors considering all of the research presented in the La-La Land Records set. Obviously the most glaring is crediting Steiner with the "Scotty" music. One didn't even need our set to know it was from "Tribbles" since a re-recording was released in the 1980's and GNP released the original track in the 90s. Sloppy!

Another error is Cushman's claim that the cue "...mixed as nicely as an aged oak scotch". The correct term is "oak aged scotch".

Neil

Last edited by Indysolo; October 6 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Indysolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2014, 09:30 PM   #30
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

Kinda funny that Neil is complaining about errors when the LALA Land soundtrack is riddled with missing cues which is in my opinion inexecusable! LOL The music is just not all there... and that's fine except for the fact that it was marketed as being complete and at a hefty price. Yes, I'm still upset about that a few years after the release.
Dalen Quaice is offline   Reply With Quote