March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 18 2014, 06:33 AM   #316
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen In 2014

1) Her (2013) - A
2) Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - B+
3) The Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - B
4) Frozen (2013) - A
5) Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - B
6) Rush (2013) - B+
7) Blackfish (2013) - B
8) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - A
9) Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) - A
10) X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - B
11) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - B
12) Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - A-
13) The X Files: Fight the Future (1998) - B

I've been doing a run through The X Files since last December and finally got to the movie tonight. I wrote my review here with the rest of the episodes, but I really liked the movie.

Netflix
Theater: 10
Itunes: 2 (+1)
Blu Ray/DVD/TV: 1
Old July 19 2014, 05:54 AM   #317
CaptainCanada
Admiral

53. Begin Again (A)

I still haven't seen John Carney's breakthrough 2006 musical romance Once (I plan to when the opportunity arises); this is the third film he's made since then, but the first one that's attracted any real attention. The bare beats of the story, about a down-on-his-luck record executive who aims to turn a songwriter he ran into in a bar into a new musical talent, is fairly familiar, albeit with one or two divergences in the formula (the ending, mainly).

Rather like Chef, it's a project that succeeds largely on the basis of strong performances and considerable charm, but it scores higher than Chef because Carney is more restrained in his writing, and, despite the generally optimistic outlook, he doesn't throw in what feel like unearned moments (well, you could maybe make that case for one part of it, but I think it works better here, partly because it's part of an expectation subversion). Keira Knightley says she had no singing experience before recording the songs for this, and if that's true, she should consider putting in the hours to further hone things, because her voice is quite pleasant, and she largely carries the music (with an assist from Adam Levine); this is the most fun role she's had in a long time. James Corden is a lot of fun as her friend, and I really liked Hailee Steinfeld as Mark Ruffalo's somewhat sullen daughter.

Since this is a musical of sorts, the soundtrack is the most memorable soundtrack of original tunes for a live action movie in a long time, thanks to the efforts of former New Radicals frontman Gregg Alexander. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this repeats Once's feat of winning the Best Original Song Oscar.

Cinema: 24 (+1)
DVD: 14
Computer: 15

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 06:36 AM   #318
Janeway's Girl
Captain

I don't remember all the movies I've seen this year but the few that come to mind are: Frozen, which I loved! I also really enjoyed Gravity and Maleficent.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 03:15 AM   #319
CaptainCanada
Admiral

54. The Immigrant (A+)

James Gray's superb drama about a Polish immigrant who arrives in New York in 1921, featuring a superb lead performance from Marion Cotillard, ably supported by Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner (in a very uncharacteristic sort of performance). I'd be really interested to know how movies like this get financed, as Gray was able to scrape together $16 million to make this movie despite only one of his movies making the sort of domestic box office that would remotely suggest he could cover that (indeed, this movie's total box office domestically has been about $2 million). However he did it, I'm glad. New York is probably the most-filmed city in the history of cinema, but few of the times I've seen it have conjured the degree of atmosphere of a past New York that Gray does here.

Cinema: 25 (+1)
Computer: 15

- Homer Simpson
Old July 21 2014, 04:00 AM   #320
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time - DVD
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa .5 - Netflix Instant
The Raid 2 - DVD
The Wolf of Wall Street - DVD
Homefront - Netflix Instant
Out of the Furnace - Netflix Instant
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 2D - theater
Stan Lee's Mighty 7 - DVD
Hot Coffee - Netflix Instant
Transformers: Age of Extinction 2D - theater

Watched the HC documentary yesterday. It takes a look at the McDonald's coffee incident that started a wave of legislative tort reform and changes to the way businesses influence laws & judges to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Pretty informative, too.

Took one of my nephews to see the new Transformers today. He seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. I just wish they could make a good live action movie. At least they had a good cast this time out, with Kelsey Grammer, Stanley Tucci & Mark Wahlberg.
Old July 21 2014, 07:34 AM   #321
Harvey
Admiral

Saw two films today. Boyhood is a masterpiece. Woody Allen's new film, Magic in the Moonlight, is a trifle. Not a bad movie, but nothing worth thinking about for very long.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 02:52 PM   #322
Smellmet
Captain

Just watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes at the cinema. What an utterly outstanding movie that is. Better than Rise in nearly every department and I didn't expect that at all. Can't wait for the next one. Object lesson in doing a reboot series of films so far.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 06:28 PM   #323
CaptainCanada
Admiral

55. Sense and Sensibility (A+)

Is there a more versatile director than Ang Lee currently working? I doubt it, and this is one of his best films (and considering that I've been a fan of all of his films apart from The Ice Storm, that's saying something). I'd love to see a Blu-ray edition of this, as I suspect it would look wonderful; Criterion should get on that.

Cinema: 25
Computer: 16 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old July 22 2014, 09:03 PM   #324
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

73. Beneath the Planet of the Apes ★★★
74. The Battery ★★★
75. Escape From the Planet of the Apes ★★★
76. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes ★★
77. Battle for the Planet of the Apes ★
78. Odd Thomas ★★★
Old July 24 2014, 09:24 AM   #325
od0_ital
Admiral

JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time - DVD
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa .5 - Netflix Instant
The Raid 2 - DVD
The Wolf of Wall Street - DVD
Homefront - Netflix Instant
Out of the Furnace - Netflix Instant
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 2D - theater
Stan Lee's Mighty 7 - DVD
Hot Coffee - Netflix Instant
Transformers: Age of Extinction 2D - theater
Odd Thomas - Netflix Instant
Bad Words - DVD

Watched OT the other day...it wasn't great, but I kinda liked it. The twist to the end actually kinda surprised me, and it was kinda cool to see Willem Dafoe in a smaller movie than normal for him. I may have to read the book now, too...

Rented a couple of movies yesterday before work, and just finished watchin' the first one.

BW was a dirty fun movie to watch. "Don't look at me!"

Watchin' it with the commentary track from director/star Jason Bateman, but I may turn it off to get some sleep soon.
Old July 25 2014, 01:56 AM   #326
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

39. We Bought A Zoo: A-
40. Chronicle: D+
41. Knights Tale: C+
42. 9: D+
43. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: A-

Knights Tale - Too much satire vs trying to be a period film. It was a split identity. One part Men in Tights, one Part Gladiator and it didn't mesh well.

9 - The animated film about mini self aware robots who live in an alternate to our reality world where it's version of Skynet has taken over but circa 1940's due to a war. Not enough answers in this film for my taste. Visually a nice film. The character designs nice but too many unresolved questions for me.

Dawn/Apes - As solid if maybe not a bit more than Rise of Apes. Full of heart and emotion with fully realized characters that expand on the first film while also being new ones. I have a few minor questions but they don't ruin the film's pace. Very curious and eager about the next film. I'm thinking War for Planet of the Apes as a title.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 02:01 AM   #327
od0_ital
Admiral

^

Really? A Knight's Tale is my second favorite Heath Ledger movie...enjoyed that one quite a bit.
Old July 25 2014, 03:05 AM   #328
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I liked it in parts, others not so much. To me it just felt like two movies spliced together w/two different tones at times. Satire and Serious but not blended well.
Just didn't WOW me.
If it makes you feel better my girlfriend really likes it and she couldn't believe I'd not seen it. So I did tell her I liked it a bit better than my grade. Her feelings were in play you know.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 06:21 AM   #329
CaptainCanada
Admiral

56. The Birds (B+)

Finishing out a five-disk set of Alfred Hitchcock films of Blu-ray I bought some time ago, this thriller follows a woman with way too much time on her hands whose ridiculously extended practical joke leads to her getting stuck in a community being attacked by killer birds. The film is as much a relationship piece as a monster movie, with Tippi Hedren becoming increasingly folded into the Brenner family and earning the respect and affection of the mother. The sequences with the birds run the gamut from being very tense (though the climactic scene requires Hedren to behave with enormous stupidity solely for the sake of the plot, as Hitchcock acknowledged) to being rather silly-looking.

Cinema: 26 (+1)
Computer: 16

- Homer Simpson
Old July 26 2014, 04:43 PM   #330
Agent Richard07
Admiral

78. Flakes (✩✩✩½) - Netflix - An independent movie centered around a small eatery that serves nothing but boxed cereal. Cast includes Zooey Deschanel and Christopher Lloyd. It made just over $700. at the box office. Check out the trailer…

79. The New Year (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - An independent slice of life film about a young woman who has to deal with an ailing father, work at a bowling alley and the two men in her life. If you like Kelly Trieste-Dunn, check it out.

80. Dead Man Down (✩✩✩½) - Netflix - Not much to say. Stars Colin Farrell as a hired killer with a rather interesting backstory. The movie has some good atmosphere.

81. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (3D) (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - Apes were well fleshed out. Comments here.

82. Safe House (✩✩✩) - Netflix - Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds in the CIA. Washington plays a captured rogue agent. Ooooo!

83. Fun with Dick and Jane (✩✩✩) - Netflix - Jim Carrey and Tea Leoni. Moderately fun commentary about hard economic times but it's nothing special.

84. About Sunny (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - It's a nice independent film that shows the less glamorous side of Las Vegas. Check out the trailer…

85. Heaven Is for Real (✩✩✩) - Download - True story about a boy who "died" on the operating tabel and saw Jesus in heaven. Stars Greg Kinnear. To my surprise, it wasn't saccharin or overly religious. It also put me onto an artist by the name of Akiane Kramarik. She appears at the start of the movie and they got a detail wrong. She's not from Lithuania.

86. Not Another Happy Ending (✩✩✩) - Download - Comments here. Stars Karen Gillan's bum and NotChris Pine.

87. Colombiana (✩✩✩½) - Netflix - Zoe Saldana as a highly skilled assassin is a lot of fun to watch. She would have made a fantastic Catwoman. The movie itself has problems but do check this out just for her alone.

88. Hercules (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - Great cast and the trailers are misleading. My review is here.

89. Lucy (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - Some great stuff about mindfulness along with the pseudoscience. It's an entertaining summer movie. My review is here.

Theatre: 12
Netflix: 32
Live TV: 3
Download: 42
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote