Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 17 2014, 08:48 PM   #511
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Re: 24: Live Another Day. Discussion Thread. (Spoilers)

I didn't find the makeup attractive, but more significantly I just think it's bizarre that she would be made up that way while in CIA custody. Why would she put on makeup like that when she's just going to spend the day strapped to a torture bench?
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 09:08 PM   #512
Aldo
Admiral

It's reasonable to assume she had the make up on before she got strapped to the chair.
Old July 17 2014, 09:56 PM   #513
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

She had been in custody for a while, hadn't she?
Old July 18 2014, 12:29 AM   #514
Aldo
Admiral

I don't recall. It's been a while since I have seen the first episode or two.
Old July 18 2014, 02:01 AM   #515
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Seemed to me she had fairly recently been captured (like within the last day or so.) Not-Julian Assange didn't seem to express to much concern ("Where have you been the last three days?!") when Chloe returned. Any longer than a day I suspect the CIA would have relocated her to a detention center. Even if she had been there longer than a day, I doubt they would have given her much time to get cleaned up and change her clothes.
Old July 18 2014, 02:11 AM   #516
Aldo
Admiral

To go back to the original point I made though, I liked the look. I think it was used in order to give the season a unique feel, and to denote that a long time had passed since Season 8.

I can understand people's issues with the eye liner, but at least it's not as bad as her haircut in Season 7, which really made Mary Lynn's face look really fat.
Old July 19 2014, 02:23 AM   #517
Danny99
Vice Admiral

LeadHead wrote: View Post
Heller's discussion with the British PM was perfect. William Devane earned his pay with that scene, the grief combined with the sadness of his upcoming loss of memory. Knowing that he has lost his daughter, but he will lose her again and again and again as his memory continues to go.
At this point, I think William Devane could run for real president and win. He was one of the most human people we have ever seen on 24 amongst all the big characters.

I think a season can be designed around Kate, Chloe and whomever else they can write in without it being stupid rescuing Jack. Kate has enough credibility now to take the lead.
Old July 19 2014, 02:30 AM   #518
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Would a breakout even be appropriate? Russia does have a legitimate beef with him, illegal extradition notwithstanding. I prefer the idea of Bauer dealing for his freedom when they need his help.
Old July 19 2014, 08:41 PM   #519
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Jack Bauer apparently driving the 80 miles from London to Southampton in about 15 minutes was hilarious. He didn't even use the M3.
Old July 19 2014, 09:29 PM   #520
Mr Light
Admiral

We didn't see the harrier jet picking up his car and flying it most of the way.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 05:38 AM   #521
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Jack Bauer apparently driving the 80 miles from London to Southampton in about 15 minutes was hilarious. He didn't even use the M3.

Ford SUV......of the future!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 09:49 AM   #522
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Spent the last 2 days binge-watching season 9. Really liked it even though they fell back on the "mole within alphabet-organization-subplot". They should have dragged out the Margot plot (take her back, interrogate her and reveal the link to Cross or something like that) instead of making Navarro the bad guy. Since Kate's husband was dead anyway there was no subsequent rescue-attempt to mount, so while it adds a tragic element it doesn't justify 2 episodes chasing Navarro/Cross.

Audrey: While it was stupid not to expect a backup-shooter (why not have the car come around to the bench instead of slowly walking? Or why not take to the trees while getting her out of the park?) and it was even more stupid to call Jack in the middle of an operation, I was heartbroken by Heller's reaction and his talk with the Prime Minister. So devastatingly sad. Heller really has made an impact during these 12 episodes.

Mark's jealousy really had catastrophic consequences - hadn't he interfered, Cheng might have been captured earlier and all this might have been prevented. And don't give me that "Jack's a liability"-BS as a reason for making that deal with the Russian. And I'm not even sure why everyone blames Jack for Audrey's getting captured by Cheng years back - it's not as though Jack had any saying in that as he was being tortured right then. I think it spoke highly of her character that she went looking for him when the official powers just sat on their collective fat behinds and only got him out to play the sacrificial lamb.

Jack turning himself over... I'm a bit ambivalent about that. I understand his reasons but during the 12 hour-gap something could have been arranged to get Chloe out. But judging from his expression he was at peace at the end (or rather suicidal enough not to mind that he's likely walking to his death).

Margot - what a sick family. But I like the fact that she would have kept the deal and sunk the drones. Actually that would have been a nice ending. As I said hour 9 with Jack throwing them all out the window was an ending not worthy of that plot, especially with another 3 episodes to fill.

Chloe - another tragic figure. I liked her trying to do what's right and being played for it. What's next for her?

I'd really love to know what happened after season 8 - there were some mentions (such as Chloe's stint in prison for helping Jack), but no real mention of the bigger picture: Did Logan survive? What happened to President Taylor? And while Jack went on a ramage he did as some kind of sideeffect uncover a pretty big conspiracy - how did that get explained away?

I see quite a lot of potential for a season 10. I'd prefer for them to keep it in this 12-hour format because it cuts back on stupid storylines (even if it doesn't prevent them from happening entirely) and focuses on the main story. Chloe knows what happened with Jack, so she'll try to get him out. I'm not sure whether Kate offers enough material to have her continue: the conspiracy around her husband is now in the open, she has resigned from the CIA, so I guess her part as a main character is over. But she could help, of course. I just can't see them ending the Bauer-storyline with him in a foreign country, enduring torture, maybe being executed in some black site because I can't see the Russians officially making a statement and the US not trying to get him out. So either they get him out or have him on an official trial for his crime, but not in this secretive way.

Whether with or without Jack, I really like the format of this series and definitely would welcome another season.
Old July 20 2014, 10:27 AM   #523
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

So, time to rank the 24 presidents again?

1. Palmer
2. Heller
3. Logan
4. Palmer 2
5. Taylor
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 10:09 PM   #524
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
So, time to rank the 24 presidents again?

1. Palmer
2. Heller
3. Logan
4. Palmer 2
5. Taylor
Rank in terms of enjoying them onscreen or in terms of how good they were as Presidents? Because how could Taylor (who did some dubious and stupid things like all 24 presidents to be sure, but was probably the least bad since Palmer) possibly be worse than Logan, who was a straight up traitor?
Old July 20 2014, 11:42 PM   #525
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Enjoying them onscreen.

Ranking as actual best POTUS would look different.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote