RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 394
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 18 2014, 03:17 AM   #331
Redfern
Commodore

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

I didn't notice until the "rerun" of last week's show that Adam had his hand bandaged when "skeet" shooting. Tonight's newest episode provided the answer.

Completely different topic, but I noticed that Kari has a rather rich, throaty scream, not really shrill. I refer to the axe killer homage when she closed the mirrored door to the medicine cabinet to reveal Tori holding an axe.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 03:00 PM   #332
Forbin
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Vacuum cleaner/gunpowder: I'm more curious about the alleged circumstances behind the myth. Someone "making his own ammo in the living room?" Is that legal? Or is this myth about a survivalist or gangster or something?
Perfectly legal, and a hobby enjoyed by millions:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/

Also I'm surprised at how large the grains of black "powder" were. It was more like pebbles than powder.
There are different coarsenesses (I made a word! ) for different uses. Coarse for rifle/musket, fine for pistols such as civil-war-era revolvers, and extra-fine for the flash pan of flintlocks. I imagine cannon powder would be the coarsest, but I never shot a cannon.

though my 1847 .44 caliber Colt Walker replica comes close:
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 03:06 PM   #333
Christopher
Writer

I'd think that was at least something you'd need a pyrotechnician's license and training for.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 05:40 PM   #334
UssGlenn
Captain

Edit: nevermind
Old July 18 2014, 05:44 PM   #335
Forbin
Admiral

It is indeed cheaper, and no license is required. You usually have to show an ID, though, and, at least in NJ, the store logs the purchase of components the same as buying ammo. I tried it for a while, but I found it to be an annoying exercise, and I didn't shoot often enough to make it worthwhile. My bullet press is back in the box and rusting in the attic.
Old July 25 2014, 03:15 AM   #336
Christopher
Writer

Not so much myths this week as stunts from commercials.

Apple bobbing bungee:

This one didn't do much for me. It's pretty straightforward. Can you calibrate bungee height? Yes. Can you aim it? Basically (though it looked like they would've hit their heads on the sides if that had been an actual barrel). They spent nearly half the episode just establishing those simple things.

The building of the apple-grabbing rig was the one interesting part; I like watching Jamie and Adam plan out and engineer a weird gadget. But the results were underwhelming.

Mainly I kind of feel sorry for Jamie. He sure took one for the team, but they put him through all that torture for very little gain. I don't recall the last time the Mythbusters gave up on getting a conclusive result because they were just too fed up with the whole thing to bother any more.

Although I find myself wondering how much of the drama there was real and how much was constructed in editing or played up by Jamie for the sake of the show, reality-TV style. I hope they weren't distorting reality too much. I would've been a lot more suspicious of editing if the jaws had actually worked on that last-chance jump.

Speaking of cinematic technique, though, the one thing about this myth that genuinely did impress or interest me was that really lovely rising crane shot they did toward the end. That was beautiful.

Wing walk volley:

Kari in a tennis dress? That immediately makes this myth a whole lot more interesting.

Plus we get a nice elaborate build, a visit to Alameda, and a return to my favorite hangar, where they built the lead balloon. (They didn't say so, but I recognized it.)

I often wonder why they insist on doing things themselves that could more reasonably be done by an expert. When Grant and Tory were floundering on the wing, I was asking, "Why not bring in professionals?" And when they did bring one in, it showed how much this particular feat relied on skill. It's impressive how well it worked. And it was interesting to see them having to readjust to being farther out on the "wings" and having to relearn how to get it right, and the difference that switching sides made. (Part of the reason tennis players switch sides of the court every few games is to balance out any advantages due to wind or sun position or whatever.) This one really worked out nicely. And it's fun to see something that seems so implausible get totally confirmed.

The thing is, just a little research reveals that there's photographic evidence of this stunt being attempted for real during the wingwalking fad of the 1920s:

http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pla...nyone-7859617/

Although it's apparently unclear whether they were really able to get a rally or were just pretending.

So one lame myth, one solid one. And it's nice to see they can occasionally do an entire episode without blowing anything up.

Old July 25 2014, 11:35 AM   #337
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, Kari in the tennis dress was lovely.
Old July 25 2014, 03:41 PM   #338
Forbin
Admiral

I had the same thought about getting an experienced person in rather than trying to do it themselves. Rather than having an acrophobic special effects technician do the bungee jump, why not find a guy who LIKES to bungee jump, and who has maybe even done the apple bit before (if anyone actually HAS done that).

I've also seen the tennis wing-walking images from the 1920s many years ago. I spent that sequence saying to myself "it's been done. Find the old footage."
Old July 25 2014, 09:25 PM   #339
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, part of the "fun" of these experiments and the show is to see Jamie, Adam, Tori, Kari or Grant to do these thing not to see some guest-star doing these thing. Part of the "fun" is to see Jamie and Adam suffering through doing things they don't really like to do. Though, like how the Jr. Mythbusters got a professional tennis player to help do the experiment at its peak they probably should have done something similar with the bungee-jump myth at its ultimate point as a last-ditch effort to make it work. But I'm not sure it would have added or changed much as far as the result.

It really seems like bobbing for apples period is hard enough without adding a bungee-jump with a split-second contact time to it.

And, really, I think even a "professional" bungee-jumper would have struggled with the number of times he'd likely have to jump over the course of the testing. That's a heck of a lot for anyone to go through.
Old August 1 2014, 03:09 AM   #340
Christopher
Writer

Movie car myths, and a whole episode at Alameda:

Running off the road: Ever since I learned about the PIT maneuver on this show a few years ago, I've been aware that all those prolonged car-duel scenes were unrealistic. The insistence of bumping side to side, it seemed to me, was just a way to prolong the chase by not using the surefire finishing move of the PIT. But now we learn that even just pushing against the side of a car is enough to push it quickly off the road, and that's an interesting thing to learn.

I like Jamie's observation: "It's like sumo wrestling for cars. Which, now that I think about it, would be a pretty cool idea." Or words to that effect.

Wanted car flip: My first reaction here was "Seriously? That scene was actually in that movie? What a stupid movie!" So it didn't surprise me at all that it was totally busted. If anything, it surprises me that they keep testing these totally cartoony ideas from that movie (well, twice, anyway), as if anyone would believe for a second that they could be true.

Still, it was a classic Alameda visit. Through the fence again! How many fences have they destroyed over the years? And on top of that, the broken cable took out a camera! I wonder, why didn't they rig the car with a remote braking system as they've done in the past?

I'm not clear on how they got the cars to travel at two different speeds when towed by the same truck. I assume it was a function of how the pulleys were configured, but I wish they'd shown the specifics of that.

The results of the crashes showed clearly why the movie scene was nonsense. It wasn't just about the bumper heights; the outer layer of a car is simply not rigid enough to function as a ramp that can support another car. They're mostly hollow, after all. And they're designed to crumple when hit so that the force is absorbed rather than transmitted to the occupants.

Driving on two wheels: Pretty straightforward. It's a matter of skill and practice, possible but hard. But I'm not sure I agree with the way they formulated the myth, that TV and movies present it as something done by novices. Normally when I see a stunt like this in a movie or show, I usually take it as a demonstration that the protagonist is a really, really skilled driver -- someone like Jim Rockford or the Duke boys, say, with plenty of experience behind the wheel and skills rivalling a professional stunt driver. So in that sense I'd call it plausible.

But I don't get why they were wearing helmets and neck braces in the other myth but not in this one. Even with a roll cage, head protection would still have been a good idea, as Jamie learned. I hope his whiplash wasn't serious -- that could've been pretty bad.

At the end, when Adam was leaning against the car and summing things up just before the credits, I was pleased to hear a snippet of my favorite piece of Mythbusters music, which they used plenty in early seasons (notably in the Alcatraz escape myth) but rarely anymore. I wish there were a soundtrack album for this show just so I could have that one cue. Honestly, I don't much like the rest of the show's music, but that cue is beautiful.

Old August 1 2014, 12:55 PM   #341
Forbin
Admiral

Aren't Corvettes made of fiberglass? Pretty sure I saw the hood on one of them shatter and tear. A fiberglass hood makes a pretty poor ramp.
Old August 1 2014, 12:57 PM   #342
Forbin
Admiral

There's some behind-the scenes footage on facebook. Apparently Tori had a bad case of plumber's buttcrack that day, and whenever he was bending over working on something, Kari kept sneaking up behind him trying to drop a quarter in.
Old August 1 2014, 03:52 PM   #343
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Getting ready to watch this episode on the ol' DVR. Looks like an episode full of lots of fun!

ETA: Fun episode with lots of great moments. I agree with Christopher, "Wanted" looks like one ridiculous movie.

And I too wonder why they weren't wearing helmets in the two-wheel tests.

Last edited by Trekker4747; August 1 2014 at 07:11 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 07:48 PM   #344
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I finally got caught up on the new season and I'm enjoying it so far. I too was very surprised the safety gear for the driving on two wheels myth consisted of just a roll bar and a harness.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 08:09 PM   #345
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The only thing I can think of that wearing a helmet in the skiing test(s) somehow would have interfered with the performing the stunt, that maybe the helmet would interfere with peripheral vision or something. Though that's a thin reasoning, admittedly. It really seemed like the type of stunt where a helmet should have been a must considering the likelihood of rolling the car was so likely they felt the need to install the rollbar in the car.

On a, somewhat, related note. Jamie and Adam are coming to town to do a show in December and I have tickets!