RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 493
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 18 2014, 12:56 PM   #31
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

He is featured a lot in the early episodes with the younger Indy, and the actor playing the younger version of Henry Sr. does a pretty good Connery impression while not coming off like a parody. He's also something of (mostly-offscreen) presence in the later episodes, as Indy was still a minor when he ran away from home to enlist in WWI.
Old September 14 2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Mr Light
Admiral

I just watched the Transylvania episode on Netflix and that certainly seemed paranormal to me. People were floating and freezing and catching on fire and the "vampire" fell five stories to the ground and survived.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 03:47 AM   #33
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I just watched the Transylvania episode on Netflix and that certainly seemed paranormal to me. People were floating and freezing and catching on fire and the "vampire" fell five stories to the ground and survived.
Yep, I think that was the one episode of the show that had something clearly supernatural.

I enjoyed the series, but I never felt I was watching the early adventures of Ford's character. The various guest actors were a pleasant surprise (the aforementioned Liz Hurley, Jon Pertwee, Daniel Craig, Terry Jones, Christopher Lee, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Paul Freeman - though not as Belloq).

I recently rewatched the DVDs on my HD screen, and the effects didn't great.The digital ones were pretty obviously standard res.
Old September 18 2014, 03:59 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the series, but I never felt I was watching the early adventures of Ford's character.
Which fits the premise I mentioned above, that Ford's character was a fictionalized version of the "real" Indiana Jones played by Carrier and Flanery. Sort of like how that Real Ghostbusters episode explained away the movie as an in-universe fictionalization of the actual origin of the Ghostbusters, accounting for the differences between the movie and the show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #35
davejames
Vice Admiral

As a teenager at the time I frankly found most of the show to be pretty dull. I certainly loved the idea of seeing Indy in the middle of real historical events, but the stories just dragged way too much. It felt like the show was more interested in simply giving dry history lessons than in making these events really come alive in a compelling way.

Which is a shame, because Sean Patrick Flanery was a just about perfect young Indy. And was pretty convincing and fun to watch whenever he did get something cool to do.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote