RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 423
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Halle Berry
Thumbs Up 50 72.46%
Thumbs Down 8 11.59%
Thumbs Sideways 11 15.94%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 17 2014, 06:57 PM   #46
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Halle Berry: Babe of the Week #23 (July 2014)

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Where's the Swordfish photo????????
I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. I mean, just 8 posts into the thread.
If you're thinking it means he's kidding around about wanting to see a still from this beautiful woman's voluntary nude scene in a movie, even though he knows it won't happen on this board, you may be correct.
Old July 17 2014, 08:42 PM   #47
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Forbin wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Where's the Swordfish photo????????
I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. I mean, just 8 posts into the thread.
If you're thinking it means he's kidding around about wanting to see a still from this beautiful woman's voluntary nude scene in a movie, even though he knows it won't happen on this board, you may be correct.
How terrible it must be for you, Forbin, to be so oppressed. Be brave!
Old July 17 2014, 09:22 PM   #48
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I'm not sure that "voluntary" is exactly the right word. Was it her idea to do the nude scene? Was she paid for doing it? I'm sure she wasn't coerced into doing it, but there's a subtext to the use of that word that makes me uncomfortable, if I'm being honest. Just my two cents.
Old July 17 2014, 09:48 PM   #49
Gaith
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'm not sure that "voluntary" is exactly the right word. Was it her idea to do the nude scene? Was she paid for doing it? I'm sure she wasn't coerced into doing it, but there's a subtext to the use of that word that makes me uncomfortable, if I'm being honest. Just my two cents.
What?

It means she negotiated a bigger paycheck to be filmed with her shirt off, when she almost certainly could have retained the job without doing so, but for somewhat less cash. Everyone involved was far more likely happy with the outcome than not. What's so insidious about that?!
Old July 17 2014, 10:02 PM   #50
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

I think CC's problem was that agreeing to doing a nude scene doesn't mean an actress is voluntarily getting objectified and rated by some people exhibiting pathetic behavior in an online forum.

People could just save some time and just make a "Hurr hurr, boobs." macro for these threads.

Last edited by { Emilia }; July 18 2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old July 17 2014, 10:05 PM   #51
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote:
wanting to see a still from this beautiful woman's voluntary nude scene in a movie
It's just weird that you feel the need to add the qualifier "voluntary." WTF.
Old July 17 2014, 10:11 PM   #52
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
It means she negotiated a bigger paycheck
As I suggested, that's exactly one reason why voluntary is the wrong word.

As I see it, use of the word uncoerced would have less of the "fair game" subtext that voluntary seems to carry. It's that subtext of, "Well, she did the movie of her own free will, so therefore X," whatever thing X is, spoken or unspoken, that really rubs me the wrong way and makes me feel uncomfortable. That subtext is one of entitlement, due to the "so therefore" part.

What's so insidious about that?!
I don't recall saying it was insidious, only that I felt uncomfortable. It's interesting that you would get the vibe that I was trying to point out that something "insidious" was going on. Why would you get hyperbolic like that?

---

ETA: But, yeah, thinking about it more, I think BigJake is right. Instead of trying to find a better word for voluntary, the question is, why is it even in there at all? Sure, I think put my finger on what's bothering me about it, but playing it back with uncoerced in placed of voluntary doesn't really improve things in the end, either. It's more accurate, but it still ultimately creates the same subtext, because it has no other function.

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; July 17 2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old July 17 2014, 11:27 PM   #53
Dennis
Commodore

I doubt that Berry's intent in doing the movie in 2001 was to provide masturbation material for nerds on the Internet decades later.

Old July 18 2014, 03:35 AM   #54
BigJake
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Instead of trying to find a better word for voluntary, the question is, why is it even in there at all?
"Friend, would you like to see some entirely voluntary pictures of my wife in her bathing costume? And these are pictures of my children engaged in a spontaneous outpouring of support for my leadership..."
Old July 18 2014, 04:01 AM   #55
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I think CC's problem was that agreeing to doing a nude scene doesn't mean an actress is voluntarily getting objectified and rated by some losers in an online forum.
So much for claiming the high moral ground...
Old July 18 2014, 07:14 AM   #56
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

There's nothing wrong with the topless scene in Swordfish with Halle Berry in it. It's pretty clearly there to be enjoyed, after all. I mean take a look at that shirtless sight.

Three thumbs way up, if you know what I'm saying, right?

Old July 18 2014, 07:16 AM   #57
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Logan and Ororo go to the driving range.
Old July 18 2014, 12:34 PM   #58
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I think CC's problem was that agreeing to doing a nude scene doesn't mean an actress is voluntarily getting objectified and rated by some losers in an online forum.
So much for claiming the high moral ground...
You don't think objectifying women in an online forum is pathetic?

Wow...

I mean, I thought I was putting it pretty mildly. Are they heroes to you? Taking the last stand against that damned equality? Defending the right to objectify! And then CC and me come in to challenge that age-old tradition?
Behold the poor oppressed male in modern society. 7/17: Never forget.

Also grats on completely ignoring the actual point of the statement focusing on some minor detail in wording. Now knowing your usual m.o. when you're in "debate mode" you're probably not going to take a step back and reconsider your position. I'm not really interested in further escalation since you've already done a pretty good job making a very poor display with these statements.

Last edited by { Emilia }; July 18 2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old July 18 2014, 01:36 PM   #59
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I find a lot of aspects of online message boards pathetic, espcially Transformers, but I don't call fans of that series "losers", even in TNZ, as I very much respect some fans of that franchise. And it's my understanding that calling fellow posters "losers", even when not singling them out by name, is against the BBS' flaming policy (see the FAQ link at the top of every page). I also criticized Admiral2 in one of these very threads a few weeks ago for what I found to be demeaning language towards women.
Old July 18 2014, 01:54 PM   #60
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

People who like to objectify women (whether online or offline) are losers just like people who drown kitties are idiots. These are general statements that aren't really objectionable. Funny enough everybody here claimed not to be doing that anyway so I'm sure they'd all agree with that general statement, right? I don't think anybody can disagree with the statement: "Sexists are losers."

Rest assured that when a sexist post shows up in these threads I will exclusively ridicule the content of the post, not the poster. To further your own personal happiness I changed "losers" to "people exhibiting pathetic behavior".

As a sidenote you get a second set of bonus points for again ignoring the actual point of the post. Now I wonder why you're so interested in derailing the conversation from what it was about. Does it annoy you a lot when people discuss sexism or what's the issue?

Last edited by { Emilia }; July 18 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Closed Thread