TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 9 2014, 09:57 PM   #91
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Lack of female assassins in Assassin's Creed? 'Reality of producti

Well to be even more fair, Michael Bay films typically objectify *everything* in the frame....even actual inanimate objects, which is quit a feat if you think about it. So it's not as if women are singled out or anything. It's an equal opportunities brand of shallow stupidity.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 05:40 PM   #92
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 06:40 PM   #93
RoJoHen
Awesome

Ha! Okay, that's pretty awesome.
Old July 18 2014, 04:57 AM   #94
Showdown
Fleet Captain

I like it when the developers give players options on what type character(s) to play, male, female, white, black, etc. But not every game need to have that option. Take Baldur's Gate DA and Champions of Norrath. I played both with my brother, both are very fun. In Baldur's, we play specific characters, in Champions we play custom characters. In Champions, we can choose class, gender, race, skin color, and hair style. I think there is room for both games like Mass Effect, Borderlands, Skyrim, Fallout 3; and games like Uncharted, God of War, Tomb Raider, Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc. We honestly don't care if we are playing a male or female characters in a game, but for some people, it really matters.

I didn't complain that GTA5 have 3 male characters and 0 females, while Saints Row 4 allows us to customize our character. As stated earlier, Assassin's Creed Unity does not have 4 different male characters, but 4 players play the main character, so nobody's playing the sidekick or partner. There have been games like this before, like Halo and Duke Nukem 64.

The developers say it takes much more time to add a female character. I think it's different for different games. Games like Borderlands, developers have to add animations like running, jumping, shooting, melee and death animations. In Assassin's Creed, it's running, jumping, climbing, diving, stabbing, sneeking, fighting melee combat with lots of moves. I'm not a developer, so I don't know their schedule. For all I know, they are starting from scratch, with a new game engine, and much is built from the ground up. Maybe it's like Batman Arkham games. The first one has a male character. The second one, they just take all the animations from the first, and have time to develop a female playable character like Catwoman. Limited time with lots of money at stake, developers will make choices to maximize profits.

I remember in New Super Mario Bros Wii, I posted the only thing I would change, is add an option to play the Princess instead of another generic Toad character. That way, every character can be unique, the Princess won't need to be saved yet again, and Super Mario 2 won't stick out like a sore thumb... as much. I never intended my post to attack Nintendo or call them sexist in any way. I did read there are many who requested her playable as well. Super Mario 3D World, she is. Instead of attacking Ubisoft, a lot of requests will bring us a playable female character. A lot of them will listen. I think the anger from this particular instance, is because there are playable female characters in Assassin's Creed before. And if games both male and female playable characters begin to sell much, much more than games that only feature male leads, developers will add that option more.
Old July 29 2014, 10:37 PM   #95
martok2112
Captain

Well, being a dude, it's a good thing I'm all for having hot chicks in video games.
My philosophy....if I have to play a third person shooter/action adventure/RPG game...she might as well be a chick, and she might as well have a nice face, a great rack, nice legs, and a cute butt to match the "strong, intelligent, capable female role".

Thank you, Core/Crystal Dynamics/Eidos, for Lara Croft. Squeenix's take needs a bit more work...especially on the sexy side.

Thank you, Volition, for allowing us to customize our characters in Saints' Row 2 and onward as hottie gangsta chicks. Girls'n'guns all the way, I say!

Thank you, Squeenix, for making Yuna actually sexy (girls, guns, and hotpants...hell yeah) in Final Fantasy X-2! (Although I didn't care for what you did with Tifa Lockhart in the movie Final Fantasy Advent Children.)

Thank you, BioWare, for the FemShep option! Yes! (And for the optional hot girl on girl action! There...see....I support gay relationships too, as long as both chicks are really hot! )

Now, somebody bring on a third person/open world shooter RPG based on the anime "Black Lagoon" so I can use Revy (makes Lara Croft look like an addled schoolgirl in combat!)
Old July 30 2014, 11:39 AM   #96
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

martok2112 wrote: View Post
Well, being a creepy dude, it's a good thing I'm all for having hot chicks in video games.
My philosophy....if I have to play a third person shooter/action adventure/RPG game...she might as well be a chick, and she might as well have a nice face, a great rack, nice legs, and a cute butt to match the "strong, intelligent, capable female role".

Thank you, Core/Crystal Dynamics/Eidos, for Lara Croft. Squeenix's take needs a bit more work...especially on the sexy side.

Thank you, Volition, for allowing us to customize our characters in Saints' Row 2 and onward as hottie gangsta chicks. Girls'n'guns all the way, I say!

Thank you, Squeenix, for making Yuna actually sexy (girls, guns, and hotpants...hell yeah) in Final Fantasy X-2! (Although I didn't care for what you did with Tifa Lockhart in the movie Final Fantasy Advent Children.)

Thank you, BioWare, for the FemShep option! Yes! (And for the optional hot girl on girl action! There...see....I support gay relationships too, as long as both chicks are really hot! )

Now, somebody bring on a third person/open world shooter RPG based on the anime "Black Lagoon" so I can use Revy (makes Lara Croft look like an addled schoolgirl in combat!)
FTFY

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 11:41 AM   #97
{ Emma Snow }
Where you lead...

Stay classy, martok...
{ Emma Snow } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 10:19 PM   #98
martok2112
Captain

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Well, being a creepy dude, it's a good thing I'm all for having hot chicks in video games.

FTFY
So, I simply state a harmless opinion, and this poster launches a personal attack on me by altering my quote. (after investigating your profile, Mutenroshi, I can safely say you hardly have room to cast the first stone)

Emilia wrote:
Stay classy, martok...
says the person with the bondage fetish.... . (no malice intended)

Last edited by martok2112; July 30 2014 at 11:44 PM.
martok2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 07:02 AM   #99
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post

FTFY
So, I simply state a harmless opinion, and this poster launches a personal attack on me by altering my quote. (after investigating your profile, Mutenroshi, I can safely say you hardly have room to cast the first stone)
You stated a sexist opinion none the less.

Emilia wrote:
Stay classy, martok...
Trying to shame others to shut them up, classy.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched

Last edited by Gov Kodos; July 31 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 07:34 AM   #100
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Not cool at all, dude. I was able to treat your "Thank yous" as a possible joke, but this seems over the line.
Old July 31 2014, 08:07 AM   #101
martok2112
Captain

(deleted....not worth the time)

Last edited by martok2112; July 31 2014 at 08:30 AM.
martok2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 08:27 AM   #102
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The only thing I quoted was your reply, I didn't include anything above it, so don't say that I altered what you said.
Old July 31 2014, 08:33 AM   #103
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Hey, Kodos, Melakon....how about letting Emilia determine if Emilia's been offended, ok? I clearly stated no malice intended..and ended with a smiley . Far as I'm concerned, Emilia did not offend me with the admonition. You, however, are a non-entity, and I shall regard you as such in this matter. Thank you.
Stay classy

However, (Kodos and Melakon) changing up someone's quote? That is what is over the line. I said nothing wrong. I stated an opinion. If it offended anyone, it is only because they allowed themselves to be offended. I said nothing against no one. My quote was maliciously altered, however, which is an attack on my character. Just because I said something as a properly wired male that just didn't seem to agree with the P.C. Police, does not mean that my statement is the entirety of my being.
Mutenroshi's change wasn't the sexist part.

But it's quite alright, because in the end, I know it is nothing that anyone would have the courage to say to my face.
Classy to the end.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 08:36 AM   #104
martok2112
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
The only thing I quoted was your reply, I didn't include anything above it, so don't say that I altered what you said.
If you misread, then I'll apologize. Mutenroshi is the one who maliciously altered my words....and I was sure I had pointed that out previously.

But, I'll simply bow out before the P.C. jackboots start impotently raging on me.
Old July 31 2014, 08:40 AM   #105
martok2112
Captain

Kodos, did I attack anyone in my original statement? No.
If I offended anyone with my non-attacking original statement, then fine, I wholeheartedly, and without reservation, apologize.

Mutnroshi's change of my words was indeed a personal attack though. Last I checked, that was an actionable offense.