RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,709
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 468
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 17 2014, 11:34 AM   #1
startrekphase2
Ensign

FedCon 2014, Star Trek Phase II and Axanar Panel Videos

We had filming rights and I am pleased to present our HD videos of the Star Trek Phase II and Axanar panels in full length.

They can be seen in this YouTube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3kfXnUCx72hatV

The playlist includes the following:
FedCon 2014 - Press Conference / Pressekonferenz - HD
- The entire FedCon 2014 press conference from May 29, 2014 in Düsseldorf, Germany.

The following guest stars attended the press conference (from left to right): Nessi (MoC), Richard Arnold, David Gerrold, Garrett Wang, Nana Visitor, Nichelle Nichols, Amanda Tapping, Richard Dean Anderson, Suanne Braun, Natasha Henstridge, Bai Ling, Max Grodénchik, Barry Jenner and Larry Nemecke.

FedCon 2014 - David Gerrold and Larry Nemecek Interview after Press Conference
- Impromptu interviews after the press conference

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek Phase II Panel
- With David Gerrold, Alec Peters and Tobias Richter

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 1 of 2
- The first of two fascinating Axanar panels featuring David Gerrold, Alec Peters and Tobias Richter

FedCon 2014 - David Gerrold, Star Trek Phase II Panel
- David Gerrold by himself talking about Star Trek in general, Phase II and the TNG Blu-Ray project.

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 2 of 2
- This second Axanar panel had a much larger audience and offers some fascinating insights into the Axanar project.

FedCon 2014 - Visual Effects of Star Trek Renegades, Phase II and Axanar
- This panel, by Tobias Richter, looks into the visual effects work he did for three fan-film productions.

If YouTube does not work for you, the videos can also be seen on our website:
http://www.startrekphase2.de/fc2014

Enjoy

Peter Walker
www.startrekphase2.de
www.startrekaxanar.eu

Last edited by startrekphase2; July 18 2014 at 01:02 AM.
startrekphase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: FedCon 2014, Star Trek Phase II and Axanar Panel Videos

Thanks for posting those. I watched a few of these already and there's some interesting stuff.

Although, I strongly disagree with David Gerrold's assertion that only him and D.C. Fontana are the only ones who really know how to write "Star Trek." Granted, both Gerrold and Fontana have the most intimate knowledge — yet, if you're a decent writer and you understand the format, you can write a pretty darn good Trek story.
Old July 17 2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Gerrold has more credits on Trek than Norman Spinrad, but given the latter wrote "The Doomsday Machine" I'd say he knows how to write Trek at least as well as Gerrold. YMMV.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Dennis
The Man

Maurice wrote: View Post
Gerrold has more credits on Trek than Norman Spinrad, but given the latter wrote "The Doomsday Machine" I'd say he knows how to write Trek at least as well as Gerrold.
Exactly so.

None of Gerrold's or Fontana's shows are in my top twenty favorites, so...

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Gerrold has more credits on Trek than Norman Spinrad, but given the latter wrote "The Doomsday Machine" I'd say he knows how to write Trek at least as well as Gerrold.
Exactly so.

None of Gerrold's or Fontana's shows are in my top twenty favorites, so...
I should've clarified a bit — Gerrold did say he and Fontana were the only ones currently left who know how to write "Star Trek." Because Spinrad isn't around anymo— oh, wait.

Joking aside, "Blood and Fire" (PII version) demonstrated that Gerrold doesn't have the strongest grasp on the material, particularly the character of Kirk.
Old July 18 2014, 01:31 AM   #6
startrekphase2
Ensign

Ryan Thomas Riddle wrote: View Post
I strongly disagree with David Gerrold's assertion that only him and D.C. Fontana are the only ones who really know how to write "Star Trek." Granted, both Gerrold and Fontana have the most intimate knowledge — yet, if you're a decent writer and you understand the format, you can write a pretty darn good Trek story.
You are not quoting him correctly.
http://youtu.be/8h6Q6gRBcqA?t=9m8s

He said: "I think there are probably only two people in the world left, who understand how to write for the original Star Trek, and the other one is Dorothy Fontana."

So for one thing he is only referring to TOS, not the other Star Trek series and he says this based on his intimate knowledge of the series as he was involved with it when it was made.
That does not exclude others from being able to write good TOS stories, but they do not have the intimate knowledge of how stories were put together back then. I feel he is making a legitimate point.

Personally, I agree that there are others, including Norman Spinrad, who are very capable of writing good stories. I did however feel that David should be seen for what he did say and not be misquoted.

Regards

Peter
Old July 18 2014, 01:38 AM   #7
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

startrekphase2 wrote: View Post
Ryan Thomas Riddle wrote: View Post
I strongly disagree with David Gerrold's assertion that only him and D.C. Fontana are the only ones who really know how to write "Star Trek." Granted, both Gerrold and Fontana have the most intimate knowledge — yet, if you're a decent writer and you understand the format, you can write a pretty darn good Trek story.
You are not quoting him correctly.
http://youtu.be/8h6Q6gRBcqA?t=9m8s

He said: "I think there are probably only two people in the world left, who understand how to write for the original Star Trek, and the other one is Dorothy Fontana."

So for one thing he is only referring to TOS, not the other Star Trek series and he says this based on his intimate knowledge of the series as he was involved with it when it was made.
That does not exclude others from being able to write good TOS stories, but they do not have the intimate knowledge of how stories were put together back then. I feel he is making a legitimate point.

Personally, I agree that there are others, including Norman Spinrad, who are very capable of writing good stories. I did however feel that David should be seen for what he did say and not be misquoted.

Regards

Peter
You're right I wasn't directly quoting him. I was paraphrasing what he said. And I did so accurately — stating that him and Fontana are the only one's who know how to write "Star Trek". So I was not misquoting him.

Frankly, even in his direct quote, the inference — also by his tone in the presentation — is that those two were the only ones able to write Trek properly. Also, I don't often use the subtitle of TOS or put the modifier of "original" in front of "Star Trek." When I refer to "Star Trek," I mean the original because that's what it was titled. Could've been more explicit, sure. I didn't feel it necessary to do so.

Last edited by Ryan Thomas Riddle; July 18 2014 at 04:41 AM.
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 04:16 AM   #8
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I'd love to see that demonstrated in the upcoming PII episodes.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 05:46 AM   #9
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Kelso wrote: View Post
+1

Gerrold has always been an egotistical blowhard and one-hit wonder. I am eagerly awaiting the day I can eat my own words on this, but he keeps letting me down.
Old July 18 2014, 06:56 AM   #10
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Well, I was never taken by his Trek stuff, but I really liked The Man Who Folded Himself back in the day.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

Well, I was never taken by his Trek stuff, but I really liked The Man Who Folded Himself back in the day.
I really enjoyed "The Martian Child," but that was more of a semi-autobiography about the adoption of his son. I also thought the novel version of Blood and Fire was much better with more tension than the PII version of the story.
Old July 18 2014, 05:57 PM   #12
USS Intrepid
Commodore

IIRC, Carlos Pedraza wrote the teleplay for Blood and Fire. I believe David made some edits, but I don't know who was responsible for exactly what.
Old July 18 2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Nick, do you know what Carlos is up to these days? I have been wondering what he has been doing after HF.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Dennis
The Man

Kelso wrote: View Post
That would be refreshing.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

We had filming rights and I am pleased to present our HD videos of the Star Trek Phase II and Axanar panels in full length.

They can be seen in this YouTube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3kfXnUCx72hatV

The playlist includes the following:
FedCon 2014 - Press Conference / Pressekonferenz - HD
- The entire FedCon 2014 press conference from May 29, 2014 in Düsseldorf, Germany.

The following guest stars attended the press conference (from left to right): Nessi (MoC), Richard Arnold, David Gerrold, Garrett Wang, Nana Visitor, Nichelle Nichols, Amanda Tapping, Richard Dean Anderson, Suanne Braun, Natasha Henstridge, Bai Ling, Max Grodénchik, Barry Jenner and Larry Nemecke.

FedCon 2014 - David Gerrold and Larry Nemecek Interview after Press Conference
- Impromptu interviews after the press conference

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek Phase II Panel
- With David Gerrold, Alec Peters and Tobias Richter

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 1 of 2
- The first of two fascinating Axanar panels featuring David Gerrold, Alec Peters and Tobias Richter

FedCon 2014 - David Gerrold, Star Trek Phase II Panel
- David Gerrold by himself talking about Star Trek in general, Phase II and the TNG Blu-Ray project.

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 2 of 2
- This second Axanar panel had a much larger audience and offers some fascinating insights into the Axanar project.

FedCon 2014 - Visual Effects of Star Trek Renegades, Phase II and Axanar
- This panel, by Tobias Richter, looks into the visual effects work he did for three fan-film productions.

If YouTube does not work for you, the videos can also be seen on our website:
http://www.startrekphase2.de/fc2014

Enjoy

Peter Walker
www.startrekphase2.de
www.startrekaxanar.eu
Are there any download for these videos? I often cannot get a good enough connection for smooth streaming.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote