Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 15 2014, 01:58 PM   #31
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Re: StarFleet Officers that are A..h...s

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Oh. Tarses. Right.

Although isn't Satie's problem with him not *that* he's 1/4 Romulan, but that he lied about it? In which case I could understand. You don't lie on an Academy application, no matter what the circumstances.
She sort of takes that, rather small, lie and runs it into the end zone with it to the Nth degree, accusing him and his grandfather of being Romulan collaborators.
Old July 15 2014, 02:32 PM   #32
Dukhat
Commodore

Watch "The Neutral Zone" again. Every 24th century person in that episode is a complete self-righteous asshole, with the exception of Data.
Old July 15 2014, 03:48 PM   #33
Marsden
Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Watch "The Neutral Zone" again. Every 24th century person in that episode is a complete self-righteous asshole, with the exception of Data.
+1
Old July 15 2014, 07:37 PM   #34
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Oh. Tarses. Right.

Although isn't Satie's problem with him not *that* he's 1/4 Romulan, but that he lied about it? In which case I could understand. You don't lie on an Academy application, no matter what the circumstances.
She sort of takes that, rather small, lie and runs it into the end zone with it to the Nth degree, accusing him and his grandfather of being Romulan collaborators.
She's overzealous, not racist.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 08:07 PM   #35
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

And the 20th century characters are caricatures to be mocked, less so with the woman though.

You have the a-hole banker who cares about nothing but his portfolio, the buffoonish country singer who just wants to have a good time, and a housewife who mopes for most of the episode. Remember, in the 24th century, humanity is no longer hung up by losing family members. (so she should really get with the program!)

Contrasted with the elite and evolved humanity who are too advanced to deal with their shit.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 08:30 PM   #36
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Oddly, I security procedures were logical on Starships, that man should never have been able to get to the bridge. This is again one of the reasons all the FASA and the like technical manuals are written off, as they have logical procedures for these things.
Old July 15 2014, 09:23 PM   #37
Ghrakh
Commander

Threads like this always make me cringe.
Old July 15 2014, 10:54 PM   #38
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile

Ghrakh wrote: View Post
Threads like this always make me cringe.
Why?
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 03:39 AM   #39
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I don't know, can you hold an episode against a character if that particular episode is really badly written? TNZ does not even exist in my Star Trek universe. I skip it every time. This is a Maurice Hurley script based on fan fiction. The teleplay was written by the guy who got fired for being an arrogant jerk who created a toxic workplace, so the characters act like arrogant jerks. But that's not the characters' fault.

And seriously, wouldn't you react arrogantly to a man who said his first priority was 'Having power to control your life'? Before that guy got sick he probably owned three senators and one or more supreme court justices, and invoked corporate religious freedom to justify spending less on employee benefits.

As for Satie, remember the choice of words her betazoid friend used to attack Tarses?

"Isn't it true that the paternal grandfather of whom you speak was not a Vulcan but was in fact a Romulan? That it is Romulan blood you carry and a Romulan heritage that you honour? "

Jumping from 1/4 Romulan blood to having more loyalty to the Romulan Empire than the Federation. That's pretty damn racist, internment camp level racist.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 04:16 AM   #40
Makarov
Commander

Jellico anyone? Seemed like a good captain but he did manage to get on practically the entire crew's bad side. He is cool with you if you're doing your job up to his extreme standards, but one screw up and god help you. Anyone had a boss like that?

At the end of the episode none of the crew seems to thank him, not even last words with Riker, he just gets out of there as quickly as possible.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 09:11 PM   #41
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

People only think Jellico is an asshole because he's not Picard. Taken strictly on his own, Jellico is a good character, not an asshole, and a fine captain. But nobody ever gives him any slack, because how dare he replace Jean-Luc "can't do anything wrong" Picard?

Makarov wrote: View Post
He is cool with you if you're doing your job up to his extreme standards, but one screw up and god help you.
Which is exactly what any decent military commander is supposed to do.

At the end of the episode none of the crew seems to thank him, not even last words with Riker, he just gets out of there as quickly as possible.
Why should they thank him? That's not their job. Their job is to do what he says. He's not in this to be thanked...he's there to do a job. And he did.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 09:59 PM   #42
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Jellico is a military commander in a series we are use to not seeing taken as a military show. The USS Enterprise is not run like a military ship all that much. Starfleet is seen though the USS Enterprise at this point by the audience. So when we get actual officers that act in an actual military way, like Jellico and Nechayev, we are thrown off by what we think of Starfleet.
Old July 18 2014, 05:26 AM   #43
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

But nobody ever gives him any slack, because how dare he replace Jean-Luc "can't do anything wrong" Picard?
Why the eyeroll? Ever had a boss leave that you got along well with, replaced with someone you couldn't stand? I liked the Picard/Jellico switcheroo because it allowed the cast to act like actual people.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 08:52 AM   #44
Dukhat
Commodore

jimbotron wrote: View Post
And the 20th century characters are caricatures to be mocked, less so with the woman though.

You have the a-hole banker who cares about nothing but his portfolio, the buffoonish country singer who just wants to have a good time, and a housewife who mopes for most of the episode. Remember, in the 24th century, humanity is no longer hung up by losing family members. (so she should really get with the program!)

Contrasted with the elite and evolved humanity who are too advanced to deal with their shit.
Well, I wasn't arguing that the 20th century characters weren't stereotypes, but if they had been just "normal" people, the 24th century people would have acted the same way toward them (or at least as written in that particular episode).
Old July 18 2014, 03:20 PM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
But nobody ever gives him any slack, because how dare he replace Jean-Luc "can't do anything wrong" Picard?
Why the eyeroll? Ever had a boss leave that you got along well with, replaced with someone you couldn't stand?
Sometimes, yes, but the boss is the boss.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote