Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 14 2014, 10:26 AM   #136
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Will a "Hero" try and go back in time and fix Vulcan's Destruction

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
I think they should have Capt Picard travel to the JJ verse to retrieve spock prime and restore the timeline.
But if you believe there was no split and alternate reality, there is no post-Nemesis Picard to come back and rescue Spock. He never existed...
Old July 14 2014, 10:26 PM   #137
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
Seriously this happens all the time, even someone as useless as Harry Kim managed to go back in time and wrench the timeline back to his preferred trajectory.

Every single Vulcan survivor would like to see their planet not destroyed. Vulcans are hugely intelligent and given to monomania, one of them being tipped over the edge of deeeep research into obsession seems likely.

You know if one of them wanted to either stop the destruction and crush the timelines back together OR jump timeline and exist in the one where Vulcan survives they could. They could totally do it. Might take a few decades though who knows, maybe a whole sect of Return to the Timeline Vulcans will spring up and it will go faster than that. The E2 crew devoted generations to saving Earth.
Just ignore ST '09 altogether. Romulus was not destroyed by an impossible Warp Speed Supernova, and the Future Spock in the movie is from the future of this alternate timeline. He's not Prime Spock. He's future Alt Spock meeting younger Alt Spock.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 02:27 AM   #138
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

AirCommodore wrote: View Post
Seriously this happens all the time, even someone as useless as Harry Kim managed to go back in time and wrench the timeline back to his preferred trajectory.

Every single Vulcan survivor would like to see their planet not destroyed. Vulcans are hugely intelligent and given to monomania, one of them being tipped over the edge of deeeep research into obsession seems likely.

You know if one of them wanted to either stop the destruction and crush the timelines back together OR jump timeline and exist in the one where Vulcan survives they could. They could totally do it. Might take a few decades though who knows, maybe a whole sect of Return to the Timeline Vulcans will spring up and it will go faster than that. The E2 crew devoted generations to saving Earth.
Just ignore ST '09 altogether. Romulus was not destroyed by an impossible Warp Speed Supernova, and the Future Spock in the movie is from the future of this alternate timeline. He's not Prime Spock. He's future Alt Spock meeting younger Alt Spock.
Or... hear me out... you could realize that it is a TV/movie franchise and things change as creators change...
Old July 15 2014, 03:29 AM   #139
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post

Or... hear me out... you could realize that it is a TV/movie franchise and things change as creators change...
Exactly! And that is why you can ignore it. Hopefully the elimination of the Warp Speed Supernova will be among those changed things when a new team replaces JJ's!
Old July 15 2014, 03:30 AM   #140
BillJ
Admiral

Exactly! And that is why you can ignore it. Hopefully the elimination of the Warp Speed Supernova will be among those changed things when a new team replaces JJ's!
Only if you plan on ignoring the other seven-hundred hours of mostly bad science that preceded it.
Old July 15 2014, 03:43 AM   #141
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

Only if you plan on ignoring the other seven-hundred hours of mostly bad science that preceded it.
It IS science FICTION, Bill! We all allow for that. But the science part of scifi means SOMETHING. A LITTLE something anyway. Maybe to restrain some of the crazier, over-the-top wankitude.
Old July 15 2014, 03:44 AM   #142
BillJ
Admiral

It IS science FICTION, Bill! We all allow for that. But the science part of scifi means SOMETHING. A LITTLE something anyway. Maybe to restrain some of the crazier, over-the-top wankitude.
We obviously haven't been watching the same show over the years.
Old July 15 2014, 03:49 AM   #143
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

We obviously haven't been watching the same show over the years.
Apparently not! I have been watching Star Trek. I am not sure which show you have in mind, but ST isn't it. But I must say that I like your attitude on this. Instead of just coming up with some in-universe explanation, you just say "Well it's all BS anyway, so WTF! Let em wank!" That's not my view, but I get it.
Old July 15 2014, 04:09 AM   #144
BillJ
Admiral

But I must say that I like your attitude on this. Instead of just coming up with some in-universe explanation, you just say "Well it's all BS anyway, so WTF! Let em wank!" That's not my view, but I get it.
I watch Star Trek to have fun. I've been watching Star Trek since 1975 when I was 4 years old, seeing Kirk fight a lumbering lizard-man.

For me, the "wank" is part of the charm. I can read Asimov, Clarke, Baxter and others when I want hard science-fiction. Which I would have never had an appetite for without Star Trek's influence. But I don't want Star Trek to be something it has never been before, I want it to be fun, entertaining light sci-fi. Where Kirk punches the bad guy, saves the universe and gets the girl. All the while, cool spaceships and weird aliens are duking it out.
Old July 15 2014, 05:19 AM   #145
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

But I must say that I like your attitude on this. Instead of just coming up with some in-universe explanation, you just say "Well it's all BS anyway, so WTF! Let em wank!" That's not my view, but I get it.
I watch Star Trek to have fun. I've been watching Star Trek since 1975 when I was 4 years old, seeing Kirk fight a lumbering lizard-man.

For me, the "wank" is part of the charm. I can read Asimov, Clarke, Baxter and others when I want hard science-fiction. Which I would have never had an appetite for without Star Trek's influence. But I don't want Star Trek to be something it has never been before, I want it to be fun, entertaining light sci-fi. Where Kirk punches the bad guy, saves the universe and gets the girl. All the while, cool spaceships and weird aliens are duking it out.
Well I was also 4 in 1975 and that is also when I became a Trek fan. Like I said, I entirely understand your view on this. IMHO however, I think you can do all that AND not have naturally occurring phenomena like Supernovas that travel at warp speed!

Believe me, I can live with it. I am just sounding off here my good man.
Old July 15 2014, 07:06 AM   #146
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

For me, the "wank" is part of the charm. I can read Asimov, Clarke, Baxter and others when I want hard science-fiction.
That would be Isaac Asimov, who wrote about telepathic robots, time travelers, and shrinking humans to microscopic size; Arthur C Clarke, who wrote of turning Phobos into a star (and then Jupiter!), inertia-free space drives, and a universal solution to the Y2K bug by a clever bit of software virus writing; and Stephen Baxter, who wrote an alternate history where a chunk of superconducting antimatter smashes into the moon in the early 18th century and creates a second moon around Earth but still has the Ems Telegraph sent on schedule, and in another story has the Saturn V facilities test article --- a rocket-sized thing used to make sure Cape Canaveral handling operations were working --- dusted off after a half-century of neglect and launched into space.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 06:14 PM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

Nebusj wrote: View Post
For me, the "wank" is part of the charm. I can read Asimov, Clarke, Baxter and others when I want hard science-fiction.
That would be Isaac Asimov, who wrote about telepathic robots, time travelers, and shrinking humans to microscopic size; Arthur C Clarke, who wrote of turning Phobos into a star (and then Jupiter!), inertia-free space drives, and a universal solution to the Y2K bug by a clever bit of software virus writing; and Stephen Baxter, who wrote an alternate history where a chunk of superconducting antimatter smashes into the moon in the early 18th century and creates a second moon around Earth but still has the Ems Telegraph sent on schedule, and in another story has the Saturn V facilities test article --- a rocket-sized thing used to make sure Cape Canaveral handling operations were working --- dusted off after a half-century of neglect and launched into space.
Which shows that even the most hardcore science authors will bend plausibility if it leads to what they think is a good story.