Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 14 2014, 12:39 AM   #781
Whizzer
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Great game by Germany and Argentina, but finally the 4th star for Germany! *wohoo*
Old July 14 2014, 07:53 AM   #782
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot \o/

(I fucking called it.)
Old July 14 2014, 08:33 AM   #783
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

It's pretty much impossible to say anything other than the best two teams contested the final, that the better team throughout the tournament won, and won via one of the half-dozen or so best goals of the event. Congrats to Germany. It was a much more enjoyable game than it could have been, and both sides deserve credit for that.

As much as I enjoy Messi's work as a footballer, how on earth he was named player of the tournament is beyond me. It's unfortunate that he now gets another several years of negative and odious comparisons to the deified cheat, but he really looked like he had nothing left. There's only so much one bloke can do.

Crap, now it's four years until the next one. Russia has a lot to live up to after this event.
Old July 14 2014, 08:51 AM   #784
Starkers
Admiral

Was so glad when Germany scored (I didn't want it dragging on any more!) was increasingly worried that Argentina would sneak a goal (and they had their chances).

Better team won, but it really would be great to see England at least get to a final in my lifetime (I'm giving them thirty seven years or so, not asking for instant results or anything...)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 09:38 AM   #785
Robert Comsol
Commodore

"An Tagen wie diesen..." here at the BBS (still don't understand what I possibly posted in this thread that earned me the wrath of some individuals in other BBS threads where I'd never seen you post before) I felt like Bastian Schweinsteiger - and it feels great!!!

Fantastic and beautiful goal by Mario Götze (one of the best I've ever seen), 4th star for Germany (Yeah!) and tomorrow a big welcome party aboard the USS Berlin for the German team.

SPCTRE, I'm just wondering why you haven't added the fourth star in your avatar, yet. Don't tell me you didn't see that coming ...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 10:36 AM   #786
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
"An Tagen wie diesen..." here at the BBS (still don't understand what I possibly posted in this thread that earned me the wrath of some individuals in other BBS threads where I'd never seen you post before) I felt like Bastian Schweinsteiger - and it feels great!!!
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 12:05 PM   #787
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post
Was so glad when Germany scored (I didn't want it dragging on any more!)
Same here. As much as I love the drama surrounding penalty shootouts, a WC Final getting decided that way just feels wrong.
I mean Germany most likely would have won (because we always do), but I would not have been able to enjoy our victory as much as I did.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 12:37 PM   #788
Starkers
Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Was so glad when Germany scored (I didn't want it dragging on any more!)
Same here. As much as I love the drama surrounding penalty shootouts, a WC Final getting decided that way just feels wrong.
I mean Germany most likely would have won (because we always do), but I would not have been able to enjoy our victory as much as I did.
I don't know, Romero seems like a v good goalkepper (but then so does Neuer!)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 02:04 PM   #789
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Messi being named player of the tournament was a gesture of good will and felt a bit like LotR: Return of the King's best Film Oscar.
They honored his general capabilities as a player, not necessarily just for this World Cup event.

At least, that's my interpretation.

Though he looked like he had to do the walk of shame twice because of that.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 02:13 PM   #790
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
Messi being named player of the tournament was a gesture of good will and felt a bit like LotR: Return of the King's best Film Oscar.
They honored his general capabilities as a player, not necessarily just for this World Cup event.
Very much so.
Old July 14 2014, 02:35 PM   #791
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
He got 4 Ballons d'Or for that already. That was a bad decision.
Old July 14 2014, 05:29 PM   #792
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I can't believe it finally happened. During the game I had a rather bad feeling and thought that Argentina would win. It was very unfortunate that Khedira injured himself during warm-up and that Kramer had to leave injured so early. Indeed, the Argentines had at least 2 must-score opportunities but we were lucky.
Just when I had resigned myself to a penalty shoot-out, Götze scored. That was such a relief not only because my nerves wouldn't have survived a penalty shoot-out. Where I watched we cheered so loudly from then on through the end of the game that we didn't hear the commentary anymore. (Thankfully, as Bartels apparently talked himself into a nonsensical pathos-laden delirium.)

I'm especially glad for Löw who I've always liked since his days at VfB Stuttgart and who had to contend with a lot of (partially unwarranted) harsh criticism for never winning any title. Finally, his view on the way the team should play has been vindicated.
Old July 14 2014, 06:05 PM   #793
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

"An Tagen wie diesen..." here at the BBS (still don't understand what I possibly posted in this thread that earned me the wrath of some individuals in other BBS threads where I'd never seen you post before)
{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
And let's leave it all in whichever other threads of which you speak and just worry about the football in this one, OK?
the 4th Hanson bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 10:49 PM   #794
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

So you can actually check where the World Champions currently are.
Flight LH2014 (World Champions onboard).
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 10:59 PM   #795
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

That's pretty cool.

What's funny is that that flighthttp://http://www.flightradar24.com/...lights/lh2014/ number is usually associated with a daily Munich-Dusseldorf flight operated by an Airbus.

LH did this for the trip down as well, using this flight number.
the 4th Hanson bro is offline   Reply With Quote