Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 9 2014, 12:57 PM   #91
dub
Fleet Captain

Re: Your ideal New Trek Series

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
So not Star Trek.
Which is what people said about DS9 prior to it's premiere.
...and for some, many aspects of DS9 remain extremely un-Star Trek like after the entire run.

Each to their own of course, but for me, magic wizard "Prophet"/"Pah-wraith" showdowns, Ferengi caterwauling "MOOOOOGIIII", a horrible series long fascination with religion and "prophet worship", a drawn out tedious war, "Orb visions" etc., has nothing to do with Star Trek and reduced my enjoyment of the show.

Yes, I'm sure you could highlight similar tropes that appear in the other Trek series, but they weren't presented in the same "mystical" and extended way DS9 seemed to favour.
There was nothing "mystical" about "MOOOOOGIIII!"
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 03:46 PM   #92
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

dub wrote: View Post
Which is what people said about DS9 prior to it's premiere.
...and for some, many aspects of DS9 remain extremely un-Star Trek like after the entire run.

Each to their own of course, but for me, magic wizard "Prophet"/"Pah-wraith" showdowns, Ferengi caterwauling "MOOOOOGIIII", a horrible series long fascination with religion and "prophet worship", a drawn out tedious war, "Orb visions" etc., has nothing to do with Star Trek and reduced my enjoyment of the show.

Yes, I'm sure you could highlight similar tropes that appear in the other Trek series, but they weren't presented in the same "mystical" and extended way DS9 seemed to favour.
There was nothing "mystical" about "MOOOOOGIIII!"
I half expected her to be a mystical Ferengi Profit! See what I did there?
Old June 10 2014, 04:00 PM   #93
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I know that Deep Space Nine is the chapter of the franchise I revisit the least.
Old June 19 2014, 04:51 PM   #94
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

One thing I'd love to see in the next series, would be if it took a page from FarScape and had just one human as a main character with the rest alien, for diversity.

He/She could be the ship's XO, with three or four previously established races and two or three that are totally new, so that he/she would be the one exploring the human condition rather than the series' designated 'outsider' (Spock, Data, etc) and seeing how human ideals line up in the face of vastly different backgrounds and beliefs.
Old June 22 2014, 01:00 AM   #95
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^ But no puppets.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 06:48 AM   #96
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

^ But no puppets.
Why not? Rygel had more interest, development, life and character in him than Chakotay and Kim combined
Old June 22 2014, 07:14 AM   #97
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Advanced aliens as soi disant "gods" were indeed a foundational Trek concept and for my money were handled more deftly and less literally in DS9 than usual, as was the ritualism of Bajoran culture (to the good in that it was presented as something with real moral and political complexity). The experiments with longer story arcs and forays into something closer to actual drama were some of its best qualities IMO.

I didn't care at all for the Ferengi-as-comic-relief either, though. And I kind of checked out when the Dominion War got going, since Babylon 5 was on air at the same time and was doing the same thing much better.
Old June 22 2014, 04:41 PM   #98
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
^ But no puppets.
Why not? Rygel had more interest, development, life and character in him than Chakotay and Kim combined
Point taken. I now actively want puppets in the next Trek TV show.

Old June 22 2014, 07:40 PM   #99
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Point taken. I now actively want puppets in the next Trek TV show.

Puppets in every TV show!
Old June 24 2014, 01:50 AM   #100
E-DUB
Captain

speaking about puppets, what about Kosh? I was struck by how much I cared when he died.

How about the "other" side of Federation space? Away from Klingon, Romulans, Cardassians, except as occasional guests and give us a bunch of new aliens.

Or how about a ship that pulls a "Bozeman" and turns up a century or two after leaving and how the crew of this ship adjusts to it's new time.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 05:30 AM   #101
wulfio
Commander

jmampilly wrote: View Post
Hi guys,
I read about the new Trek series on the table, which would portray Worf as a captain. This got me thinking about what a future Trek show would have, ideally...

What do you want to see in a new Trek series? A war-centric one like DS9, one abundant with moral dilemmas, like TNG, or perhaps something a bit closer to home, like ENT?
I wouldnt mind seeing an ENT type series with a horror type feel to it. With the approach that the Unknown + limited technology = creepy atmosphere. Think like the tone of Alien or The Thing.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 06:28 PM   #102
RainKing
Lieutenant

I hate prequels; just kind of on principle. I think the concept simply hamstrings the potential for tension and drama. Not to mention, they seem as lazy and devoid of creativity as a Dukes of Hazard movie adaptation. Lastly, prequels (to me) fly in the face of the central theme of science-fiction which is future/progress, for better or worse.

So, obviously, I would want the next Star Trek tv series to be set in the future - any time after the last thing produced in what is being called the Prime universe timeline.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to the J.J. films, but I don't see why a whole lot has to be different than what was depicted in TNG and its spinoffs. I mean, in reality, destroying a Federation member planet like Vulcan would have far-reaching ripple effects that impacted almost everything over 100 years... but creative writing could minimize and even exploit those effects.

I would want a couple of new bits of technology, like the replicators and holodecks in TNG. I would like a mixed crew without looking like an HR mandate following a diversity seminar. I found the crew on Enterprise very, very boring. It's science-fiction: I want robots and aliens. The series should be set on a starship or a generation ship with its own version of the Defiant.

It isn't a necessity, but I wouldn't object to a brand new realm for the series to explore; be it a different galaxy, parallel universes, other dimensions...

My final thought is that, if done well, I think it would be intriguing to introduce a character with at least a limited internal access to alternate timelines. It was already implied that Guinan had such an ability and it seems like the non-linear wormhole aliens would also be aware of these, so the precedence is there.
RainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 09:20 PM   #103
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

RainKing wrote: View Post
destroying a Federation member planet like Vulcan would have far-reaching ripple effects that impacted almost everything over 100 years
A century is a long time, at some point the destruction of Vulcan would become just another historical event.

The wiping out of a entire population isn't unknown in the Trek universe.

Old July 12 2014, 12:06 AM   #104
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it happened practically all the time in TOS.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 01:27 PM   #105
captainkirk
Commander

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Yeah, it happened practically all the time in TOS.
But that was always unseen civilization of the week, not a major founding member of the Federation.