Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 10 2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Reason for Reliant's number?

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
Interestingly, TOS "Court Martial" already featured registries this high.
I guess you mean the second number from the top, which is supposed to read "1831"? I´m not so sure about that. If you look at the screencap there are two definite 8s: the third from the bottom reads "1718" and the one below is "1685". If you compare these 8s (which clearly differ from the 6s) to the number in question, it doesn´t look like "1831" but rather "1631". So I´d say all the numbers on the list are either 16XX or 17XX.
No offense, but you should really read these numbers while the scene is playing, freeze-framing individual screencaps sometimes suggest an "18" or the actual "16" (took the Blu-ray to a friend's 4K front projector and the unbiased opinion of the other two "witnesses" was "1684" and not "1864").

It most definitely is "1831" and not "1631" (as Greg Jein erroneously assumed for the Intrepid).

Since I believe in the essential Jeffries Nomenclature (first two digits indicate starship design series) the "1831" indicates a Miranda Class starship.

I also did suggest in an earlier thread, that the last two digits might just be a contact code (NCC = Naval Contact Code) which can be inherited from a destroyed or missing ship.

Excalibur (NCC-1664) was destroyed in "The Ultimate Computer", last two digits passed on to Defiant (NCC-1764) that was presumed destroyed (vanished in interphase in "The Tholian web"). The "64" contact code was inherited next by the Reliant (18th starship design, contact code "64"). YMMV.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 07:27 AM   #17
Mario de Monti
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
Interestingly, TOS "Court Martial" already featured registries this high.
I guess you mean the second number from the top, which is supposed to read "1831"? I´m not so sure about that. If you look at the screencap there are two definite 8s: the third from the bottom reads "1718" and the one below is "1685". If you compare these 8s (which clearly differ from the 6s) to the number in question, it doesn´t look like "1831" but rather "1631". So I´d say all the numbers on the list are either 16XX or 17XX.
No offense, but you should really read these numbers while the scene is playing, freeze-framing individual screencaps sometimes suggest an "18" or the actual "16" (took the Blu-ray to a friend's 4K front projector and the unbiased opinion of the other two "witnesses" was "1684" and not "1864").
None taken And I bow to whatever the superior resolution reveals. Could you post those ten numbers (I assume you analyzed them all)?
Old June 11 2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Robert Comsol
Commodore

NCC registries from top to bottom (not from bottom to top ): 1709, 1831, 1703, 1672, 1664 (appearance in 4K resolution), 1697 (appearance in 4K resolution), 1701, 1718, 1685 and 1700.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 12:23 PM   #19
Mario de Monti
Captain

Thanks, so I just missed the 1831.
Old June 14 2014, 01:46 PM   #20
austen_pierce
Captain

I always thought it was civil war, but never knew an exact reference point or could site a source.
Old June 14 2014, 02:56 PM   #21
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

But the NCC 1941 of the Bozeman is an homage to the movie 1941, right?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Mario de Monti
Captain

Supposedly, yes. Because someone working on TNG at the time was working on 1941 earlier. And the name Bozeman came from the hometown of Brannon Braga, IIRC.
Old July 11 2014, 04:07 AM   #23
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Read Nick Meyer's book: Reliant's registry number was Harvey Bennett's apartment number.