Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 11 2014, 12:55 AM   #16
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile
Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The power of the Q is easily more magical than the Force.
But is it really magic or just very advanced technology that the Federation doesn't understand?
Is it Magick or is it SuperPowers like an extremely powerful X-Man or even Beyonder from Marvel?
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 01:00 AM   #17
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Q is the Rudy Coby of godlike beings.
Old July 11 2014, 01:17 AM   #18
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander

View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
I have no idea what that means.
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 02:15 AM   #19
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The power of the Q is easily more magical than the Force.
But is it really magic or just very advanced technology that the Federation doesn't understand?
Is it Magick or is it SuperPowers like an extremely powerful X-Man or even Beyonder from Marvel?
"Superpowers" could just as easily be used to describe the Force.

Q and the Genesis device have no more basis in science than the Force or Bruce Banner turning into the Hulk. It's all fantasy bullshit.
Old July 11 2014, 02:20 AM   #20
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I have no idea what that means.

The Prophets and almost all the things associated with them.

At first it was pretty interesting, but later it practically 'jumped the shark' with magical concepts.

Stone tablets that release spirits when you do a certain chant. Ancient scrolls that blind you if you were not the one meant to read them.

Divine being vs evil being having a magic energy showdown on the station with their magical energies.

By the way, evil energy = red eyes and red energy. Good = blue eyes and blue energy.

It's some type of advanced science and you better believe it .
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 02:30 AM   #21
TheAdmiralty
Lieutenant

The Guardian of Forever comes pretty close to magic. Not a whole lot was explained about how it did what it did.
TheAdmiralty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 03:27 AM   #22
sojourner
Admiral

TNG never explained how Padds worked either. Doesn't make them "magic".
Old July 11 2014, 03:49 AM   #23
junkdata
Lieutenant Commander

sojourner wrote: View Post
I dont think you have to explain everything, as by definition, a lot of the things we see will be basically impossible to replicate at this point. However, there is a big difference between something like the tricorders and the kind of magic we see on game of thrones.

One is an extension of science as we know it, to encompass a logical need in the future and the other is a need humanity has always had, covered by an inexplicable plot device.

I dont like magic because it not only doesnt follow our rules, but its doesnt really relate to them at all. Furthermore, it seems to show scant reason in the world we are being introduced to. In game of thrones there are magical assassins who can kill anyone. Well thats great, but surely that would destroy the concept of security and completely dominate wars. Also we have smoke monsters killing kings. Well it happens once, - why not more?

In the ST universe there are elements that appear to be magic, but they are usually encased in episodic drama, that compartmentalises them into neat meetings with new cultures. What we dont usually see is stock characters and races such as the klingons and ferengi using magic, because it would mess up the substantive texture of the show. In things like GOT, there is far more "magic" mixed into the texture of the show.
junkdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 11:02 AM   #24
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Q is the ultimate example of magic in the STAR TREK universe.

As is Kes and her Q-like powers

Many aliens have abilities that would be deemed "magical," as there would be no biological basis for any, which all seem ... unnatural.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 11:32 AM   #25
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

junkdata wrote: View Post
I dont think you have to explain everything, as by definition, a lot of the things we see will be basically impossible to replicate at this point. However, there is a big difference between something like the tricorders and the kind of magic we see on game of thrones.

One is an extension of science as we know it, to encompass a logical need in the future and the other is a need humanity has always had, covered by an inexplicable plot device.

I dont like magic because it not only doesnt follow our rules, but its doesnt really relate to them at all. Furthermore, it seems to show scant reason in the world we are being introduced to. In game of thrones there are magical assassins who can kill anyone. Well thats great, but surely that would destroy the concept of security and completely dominate wars. Also we have smoke monsters killing kings. Well it happens once, - why not more?

In the ST universe there are elements that appear to be magic, but they are usually encased in episodic drama, that compartmentalises them into neat meetings with new cultures. What we dont usually see is stock characters and races such as the klingons and ferengi using magic, because it would mess up the substantive texture of the show. In things like GOT, there is far more "magic" mixed into the texture of the show.
But in any fantasy setting, the magic elements are part of that world. Is it any less unrealistic to have explicit magic than the completely fantastical 'science' that ST uses in its everyday storytelling?

If you are using Star Wars and the 'force' as an example of magic in a sci fi setting, how is this different from Kes and her powers? Now you can argue that most of the telepaths are aliens: Vulcans, Betazoids, etc but practically the first ever magical powers we see are Charlie Evans who was 'bestowed' human.
Old July 11 2014, 12:21 PM   #26
grendelsbayne
Commander

junkdata wrote: View Post

Maybe it's a question of only having watched the show rather than seen the books, but I don't recall GOT having very much magic at all. As fantasy settings go, it's one of the most 'realistic' I've seen in a while and the magical elements seem very tightly contained to a very small number of people (Jaqen, Bran Stark (and his two buddies), Daenerys (and the witch and wizard she killed) and Melisandre, plus the existence of dragons and zombies, both of which are extremely rare and as of yet have had almost no real impact on the show).

By contrast, Star Trek seems to throw magic around like it's going out of style. Sure, 'most' of the magical beings we meet are never seen again after a single episode, but to my mind, that only makes things worse. If the handful of starships we've seen have had SO many encounters with SO many DIFFERENT aliens that are basically magical gods, then that actually makes it seem like those kinds of magical beings are everywhere in the ST universe. By that standard, I'd have to call ST less realistic than GOT, not more.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 12:23 PM   #27
teacock
Admiral

The Force is less magic than Q in our current understanding of Q because we were given a non-magic explanation for the Force in the very first movie:

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

Q has given us nothing, all we know is he snaps his fingers, BRIGHT LIGHT and seemingly anything can be made manifest or disappear or change.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 02:49 PM   #28
sojourner
Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
but practically the first ever magical powers we see are Charlie Evans who was 'bestowed' human.
Gary Mitchell, Where No Man has Gone Before.
Old July 11 2014, 07:35 PM   #29
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

You could have put an 'or' in there to make it look less like you were undermining my argument by being a geek.
Old July 11 2014, 07:57 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

but practically the first ever magical powers we see are Charlie Evans who was 'bestowed' human.
Gary Mitchell, Where No Man has Gone Before.
You could have put an 'or' in there to make it look less like you were undermining my argument by being a geek.
Geek or not, he's right. It isn't undermining your argument by correcting your example.