Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 8 2014, 01:03 AM   #31
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: STARSHIP VALIANT: LEGACY -NOW ONLINE

I just watched this and it wasn't bad. I thought the production values were nice, especially for the ship. It was an interesting choice to focus on the character building for the captain for the first episode, with only introducing one member of the crew (I'm assuming Ensign Torres will not be a member of the ongoing crew). I could've stood to have more action in the first episode, it got a little solemn at points, but what I saw wasn't a deal breaker. I would watch more of Valiant. I'm curious to see the rest of the crew.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 04:53 AM   #32
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Michael is quite capable of speaking for himself, but I can say as someone who is involved in a fan production that the first episode is absolutely critical. You have to be willing to put yourself out there without nearly as much in the way of resources and skill that would make you comfortable and you have to be willing to take the criticism (constructive or mean spirited as the case may be, although I think everyone in this thread has tried very hard to stay constructive) that comes when you put yourself out there like that. Personally, it looks to me like all the issues that have been pointed out are simply the product of inexperience and the only way to get experience is to keep going and take more risks!
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 10:33 AM   #33
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Phantassm wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
One question: is there a reason we never see the actors together outside of the opening scene? It's all singles or "dirty" OTS( Over The Shoulder) shots thereafter. We never see any two shots or any other shot where we can see two faces at once, which robs very personal dialogs of their intimacy. Were the actors shot at different times?
To answer your first question, this was the choice of our director as far as camera angles go but being our first film, we were on a learning curve so I am sure as the next episode rolls around our production will get better. Thank you for watching.
Sure. For beginners I always suggest shooting masters or group shots and singles, since that gives you the most variety to work from in editorial, and you can pick between seeing everyone or just individuals.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 06:38 PM   #34
Duane
Captain

Phantassm wrote: View Post
Duane wrote: View Post
I don't have much to add to the other comments made here, but I do agree with Father Rob the the First Officer's performance was outstanding. I'm guessing the actor has a lot of experience?
Duane,
the first officer was played by Michael L. King and no, he had never acted in anything before this. Fresh out of the drydock. What he wanted to do with the character and what he felt had been missing from many characters in trek fan films was the humanization of the people. He wanted to develop Jackson and make him as real as possible. What we did have was a brilliant acting coach named Ben Richardson who worked hard to help and assist us in playing the roles. The most important thing in the story was for us to make the people as real as possible and that was the focal point of this film. Thank you for watching and we appreciate your comments.
My apologies, but I was referring to the female that is promoted to First Officer at the end of the film. For reasons which Maurice has critiqued in detail, I cannot comment on the performance of Michael King since there was too much repetition in what we were seeing. With a different edit his performance may very well have been outstanding.

Hats off to you for completing this film. One thing I know for sure is that if I ever complete a scene from my film I will share it with Maurice, Dennis and Double00 privately for their comments.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 06:55 PM   #35
Bixby
Commander

I really like the new music created for this vignette, it sounds like an electronic flute or something at the end? it's really charming.

For a first-timer Michael King did a really good job. He gives off plenty of energy and I can easily picture him as the Captain. Though Maurice is right, the Admiral isn't doing her job if she's sending a traumatized person back out into deep space for, I assume, 5 years? She'd better have the ship's doctor keep a close eye on the skipper or they might have another Ron Tracey or Matt Decker...

This episode was really heavy on the sadness, but it picked up at the end. Maybe a tiny bit of humour by the Captain could have helped to show that this series won't be all sturm und drang? In any case, it might be interesting to explore the kind of man he was before compared to the troubled man he now seems to be...

Can't wait to see Bishop in a Gold uniform. Maybe even break from tradition and have him wear something other than the famous green wraparound?
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 07:28 PM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Without knowing or seeing any of the characters beforehand, this just comes off as pretty flat. I think it might have worked better within the context of an episode or after some time where we got to know the characters first.

Technically, it is well done.
Old July 9 2014, 03:59 AM   #37
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

I liked it a lot, it could be tighter but it was good
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 11:57 PM   #38
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

With apologies for the delay:

Last edited by doubleohfive; July 11 2014 at 04:24 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2015, 07:05 PM   #39
Bixby
Commander

Lost in the shuffle, but totally deserving of our attention, Starship Valiant has a GoFundMe campaign currently. Michael L. King created a snazzy first vignette some months ago and is trying to bring a full-lengther to life.
Old January 23 2015, 01:48 AM   #40
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I've given the fundraiser videos for Valiant and Continues as my current Headline at Star Trek Reviewed. They, of course, link to each of their donation cites.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2015, 01:57 AM   #41
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

I really hope Valiant makes its goal. Michael has interesting ideas and the concept shows promise.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2015, 03:53 AM   #42
Zaminhon
Lieutenant Commander

Donated. Looking forward to more from them.
Zaminhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2015, 04:43 AM   #43
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Have to agree with the mentioned aspects where there's still room of improvement.

My main problem was the dialogue with the daughter.It often felt "chopped", meaning the whole thing didn't flow together and felt more like an array of separate clips. Almost as if the shots all were filmed separately without having someone behind the camera speak the other person's lines so the person in front of the camera could respond to them more naturally. Maurice will most likely be able to address that better, but that's what constantly broke the flow for me.

Every fan production out there has been rough around the edges on its first episode, so I'm sue that Valiant will also improve a lot thanks to the experience you've gained now gained from this first step.

PS: Always nice to see projects about other ships out there, Enterprise isn't the only ship in the fleet.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2015, 11:37 AM   #44
Bixby
Commander

Just had a look at their page and their second video update: They are displaying alien make and prosthetics for a brand NEW race, I'm assuming it is for the Sukulon (SIC?) mentioned in their first vignette. My god, no Klingon or Romulan recycling, what is this world coming to?
Old January 27 2015, 01:08 AM   #45
Zaminhon
Lieutenant Commander

I hope they make it, but there is a long way to go, wow. To put it in perspective, STC received in four hours what these folks received in 4 days and the Valiant goal amount is 5% of STC's goal amount. It should be a piece of cake to meet their goal.
Zaminhon is offline   Reply With Quote