Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 4 2014, 01:55 AM   #136
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Re: My Journey toward a life of Vegetarianism

I believe there are lots of good diet treatments for gout, hope you find what works!

And those are yummy

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 01:07 PM   #137
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Roasted brussel sprouts with red capsicum, garlic, olive oil and and almonds.

I'm about to have a brussel sprout phase. Feel an obsession coming on. Will be adding fennel next time.. very excited!!

Roasting them is perfect, they are adorably delicious this way! This whole thing was prep time, five minutes. Cooking time 20 minutes.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 7 2014, 03:32 PM   #138
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I am obsessed by brussels sprouts. I love them prepared in any fashion, though I think my favorite is to simply boil them in a flavorful broth. They soak up all that flavor, and you can eat them in the broth as a soup, or put them cold on a salad, or sauté them and they just explode as little flavor bombs in your mouth.

This was yesterday's dinner, and while it's pretty typical food for me, it was so damn pretty I thought I'd share the picture. A salad of chopped baby spinach topped with chickpeas, white onions, green bell pepper, 1/4 an avocado, and a fresh fig. A dash of oil and vinegar, and sprinkled with fennel and black pepper:

I am also obsessed by fennel.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 01:43 AM   #139
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I haven't got my fennel yet, I've had the flu for over a week and haven't been able to get out to fennel land (no fennel down the street). I did have my brussel sprouts roasted with garlic and red pepper last night, squeezed some lemon juice on them, fantastic. I hadn't thought to boil them.. but I use a lot of doenjang as soup base and I'm thinking that and cracked pepper could be a great combination.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 8 2014, 04:29 AM   #140
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh dear! I hope you feel better soon. You should boil up some of those brussels sprouts. Brussels sprouts in chicken broth (or No-Chicken chicken broth, seeing as it's a veggie thread) is the best sick food!

Old July 8 2014, 04:57 AM   #141
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I haven't had the flu since the 90's, I forgot how it just goes on and on and on.. the normal timetable for sickness just means nothing to it. It's a jerk.

Haven't got any chickens, too much time to make stock if I did, must have fast food. I love that roasting brussel sprouts is fast food. I made brussel sprout chips too the other night from the outer leaves..

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15661311...-sprouts-chips

Don't be fooled by the 'p' word vegetarians, this blog is full of vegetarian recipes. She is great at simple photo layout instructions for each step, never over complicates. I tweak the oil level on everything though since I am not enamored with oils, and I usually add no salt. I have very low salt tolerance, everything tastes salty to me just as it is.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 8 2014, 10:06 AM   #142
J. Allen
Anthrogynous

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Hope you feel better, teacake!

I had a really good Greek salad today. It was only a Skyline Chili Greek Salad (no meat), but it was still delicious, and for $4, I couldn't beat that kind of deal.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

💖 The Key To One's Heart Starts In The Other... 💖
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 08:39 PM   #143
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Feel better, teacake!

Quick shot of the ratatouille I made for dinner:

Old July 8 2014, 08:49 PM   #144
Mage
Commodore

I'm not a vegetarian, but I am addicted to vegetables, and my girlfriend and I have atleast one vegetarian meal a week, sometimes two.

You can do amazing things without meat really, even though I truly love meat. But it's not the alfa and omega of a good meal. We had a lovely carrot and red lentil soup just now, home made. Well, the broth was from stockcubes, but other then that.... And it was filling, delicious and very nutricious.

And yes, brussel sprouts are amazing. Try parr-boiling them, then stirfry with some fresh ginger, garlic and red bell-pepper/capsicum and cashewnuts, and a bit of high quality ketjap manis, served with some fluffy basmati rice. You'll go nuts for that one. Sprouts and ginger, match made in haven. Can't find fresh ginger? Ground gingerpowder will do as well.
Old July 8 2014, 09:11 PM   #145
Kenbushway
Captain

That looks really good thestrangequark.
Yes do feel better Teacake, I hear protein helps fighting off the cold.
I have a healthy breakfast recipe;
http://www.wholeliving.com/130473/he...7&slide=130473

You can omit the turkey if you want, the sauteed vegetables are good by themselves.
Old July 8 2014, 11:11 PM   #146
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Roasted brussel sprouts with red capsicum, garlic, olive oil and and almonds.

I'm about to have a brussel sprout phase. Feel an obsession coming on. Will be adding fennel next time.. very excited!!

Roasting them is perfect, they are adorably delicious this way! This whole thing was prep time, five minutes. Cooking time 20 minutes.
That looks so good! I can't remember when I last had brussel sprouts.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 02:31 AM   #147
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
I'm not a vegetarian, but I am addicted to vegetables,
Me too!

And yes, brussel sprouts are amazing. Try parr-boiling them, then stirfry with some fresh ginger, garlic and red bell-pepper/capsicum and cashewnuts, and a bit of high quality ketjap manis, served with some fluffy basmati rice. You'll go nuts for that one. Sprouts and ginger, match made in haven. Can't find fresh ginger? Ground gingerpowder will do as well.
Oh we can get fresh ginger anywhere here.. and that does sound fantastic. I'd imagine the ketjap manis carmalizes them a bit.. yum.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 9 2014, 02:59 PM   #148
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I haven't had the flu since the 90's, I forgot how it just goes on and on and on.. the normal timetable for sickness just means nothing to it. It's a jerk.

Haven't got any chickens, too much time to make stock if I did, must have fast food. I love that roasting brussel sprouts is fast food. I made brussel sprout chips too the other night from the outer leaves..
I admire people who make their own stock, but there's no way I have time for that. I always keep a jar of Better Than Bouillon (usually one each of veggie base and chicken or No-Chicken chicken base) in the fridge. It is the best. Great flavor that really avoids that dehydrated bouillon taste, and it is so easy. I often just boil a kettle and stir in a teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon in a mug -- perfect for when your feeling under the weather.

They have a couple of vegan bases in addition to all the non-veggie varieties; chicken, turkey, beef, lobster, etc.

Old July 9 2014, 03:15 PM   #149
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I've never used any stock I didn't make. Well okay I've tried to use it but always ended up getting annoyed and throwing it out because I can taste the added thing. Though I consider doenjang and miso to be my instant stock so there's that. Otherwise I just throw in ginger and soy sauce and spring onions and sugar and.. whatever into the boiling water I want to transform into stock-ish stuff and uhh.. it is so! Or if you want euro flavours I boil leeks and wine and whatever else and okay if you do that long enough you are making stock which is I realize not the point of being instant. So personal soy paste choices ftw!

(I love making chicken stock.. evil chemist cooking)

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 9 2014, 03:19 PM   #150
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Also tonight I had roasted brussel sprouts with roasted fennel and red capsicums and garlic squirted with lemon after cooking and it was divine. Ate it too fast to photograph. Made the roast fennel like this:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_fennel/

The fennel has to start cooking before the sprouts. The red peppers were beautifully soft and making their own syrup with the garlic, it was incredible.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne