Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 5 2014, 08:48 AM   #676
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

ATimson wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
In the case of broadband someone who lives in a rural enviroment pays the same line rental as someone in an urban enviroment and it all goes into one pot. If you don't want to upgrade a particular segment of the network, then those parts of the network which aren't upgraded should pay less to their ISP. I live in a rural area and what is more frustrating than slow broadband speeds is paying through the nose for it. Sorry we can't give you our advertised £3.50 offer because your exchange is a non LLU we can however offer you a service for £20. How is that fair?
It's fair because it costs more to bring service to you over that longer distance. It's far better than the US solution, where the urban/suburban users end up subsidizing the rural users.
No it's not fair, we aren't talking hundreds of miles, you could be in a rural area and be less than a dozen miles from one or more cities.

But aren't in essence rural users who often pay more for an inferior serivce with slower speeds subsidising urban users who often pay less and get a better speed?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 03:21 PM   #677
ATimson
Rear Admiral

No it's not fair, we aren't talking hundreds of miles, you could be in a rural area and be less than a dozen miles from one or more cities.
That's still a dozen miles of cable, to reach 12-24 potential customers along it, whereas running that same cable in a suburban environment would let them reach 1200-2400 (or more) potential customers.

But aren't in essence rural users who often pay more for an inferior serivce with slower speeds subsidising urban users who often pay less and get a better speed?
Only if there's no difference in the cost-of-service for the ISP to supply you. But in this case there is.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 06:59 PM   #678
MacLeod
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
That's still a dozen miles of cable, to reach 12-24 potential customers along it, whereas running that same cable in a suburban environment would let them reach 1200-2400 (or more) potential customers.

Only if there's no difference in the cost-of-service for the ISP to supply you. But in this case there is.
You do know rural exchanges can service hundreds if not into the low end of 1000 premises?

And in the UK a few years back (2010?), Ofcom ruled that Market 1 exchanges (where BT is the sole provider) would be placed under charge control which meant in essence that the BT wholesale could charge would reduce well below RPI. So in theory it would get cheaper for the ISP as they wouldn't pay as much for the line. So that would mean it would get cheaper for the ISP to use that BT wholesale line, so for example it cost the ISP £10 in 2011, in 2012 it might cost them £9, in 2013 it might cost them £8.30 Yet, prices to the end user remained the same or went up.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; July 5 2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old July 6 2014, 01:57 AM   #679
Salinga
Captain

Is that still on topic?
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 05:56 PM   #680
Grant
Fleet Captain

Salinga wrote: View Post
Is that still on topic?
Not in any way. How many posts since anybody said something about Blu-ray?

If they ever did get around to doing them--I wish they'd break the mold and do some CAST commentary. I love to hear Rene, Siddig, Nana, Armin and others talk about the show on episodes that featured their characters heavily. No offense to the Okuda's and the directors/writer but how about some cast comments.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 08:48 PM   #681
MacLeod
Admiral

SG-1 knew how to do a DVD release, commentaries on the majority of episodes etc..
Old July 6 2014, 08:54 PM   #682
Salinga
Captain

Maybe Trek actors are too costy for "just" a commentary.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 10:41 PM   #683
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Yes, however in you car analogy is that you can choose to go via the motorway or not.
Not if they didn't build you a motorway - it sucks trying to get into East Anglia for that reason, the only big road (the A14) is insanely overloaded. But, end of analogy I guess!

My solution would be for example say an upto 40Mb connection is £20 then if your exchange can only support upto 8Mb then you pay £4, upto 16Mb £8. Sounds fair to me and it might cause providers to upgrade the exchange.
Hasn't that sort of happened? As far as I can tell bog standard ADSL is now dirt cheap, whereas the high speed connectivity of Virgin Media, BT Infinity etc. commands a bit of a premium.

Don't forget as soon as the mobile operators stop focussing on charging silly money for haf a stinking gig of data on contracts lasting longer than those with the red horny guy, which should happen with a bit more competition, then we should have mobile data as an additional option.
Old July 8 2014, 12:01 AM   #684
MacLeod
Admiral

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Yes, however in you car analogy is that you can choose to go via the motorway or not.
Not if they didn't build you a motorway - it sucks trying to get into East Anglia for that reason, the only big road (the A14) is insanely overloaded. But, end of analogy I guess!

My solution would be for example say an upto 40Mb connection is £20 then if your exchange can only support upto 8Mb then you pay £4, upto 16Mb £8. Sounds fair to me and it might cause providers to upgrade the exchange.
Hasn't that sort of happened? As far as I can tell bog standard ADSL is now dirt cheap, whereas the high speed connectivity of Virgin Media, BT Infinity etc. commands a bit of a premium.

Don't forget as soon as the mobile operators stop focussing on charging silly money for haf a stinking gig of data on contracts lasting longer than those with the red horny guy, which should happen with a bit more competition, then we should have mobile data as an additional option.

Well living in area with standard ADSL upto 8Mb I can tell you it's not dirt cheap, it might be dirt cheap if its an LLU exchange but if your on a non LLU excahnge it's expensive.

If you are in a non LLU area, you’ll find that all the ADSL providers will be using BT wholesale, so you can’t expect much difference from one to another. The majority of non LLU deals will have restrictive download allowances. The rules that apply to a package in a town or city won’t apply to you! These packages will also be around £10 more expensive on average. Offers for non LLU broadband users are out there they’re just difficult to come by – so keep your eyes peeled!

http://www.inviewonline.co.uk/rural-...the-solutions/

so more expensive for an inferior service

When my exchange goes fibre I'll end up paying a few pound more than I currently pay

But we are going off topic
Old July 8 2014, 12:54 AM   #685
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Back on topic - there's a Facebook group to show your support for DS9-HD

https://www.facebook.com/DeepSpaceNine

1,600 likes since June 23, not bad. It probably won't amount to much, but if interest gets into the tens of thousands, that could show CBS a good chunk of the fanbase supports it.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 01:07 AM   #686
dub
Fleet Captain

Thanks! I liked it!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 01:20 AM   #687
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post

1,600 likes since June 23, not bad. It probably won't amount to much, but if interest gets into the tens of thousands, that could show CBS a good chunk of the fanbase supports it.
I 'liked' it as well. Even though it isn't something I do very often on Facebook.
Old July 8 2014, 01:34 AM   #688
MakeshiftPython
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post

I 'liked' it as well. Even though it isn't something I do very often on Facebook.
Same here. Even used that "invite friends to like" feature for those I know love DS9. Any way to support a DS9 remaster, I'm all in for.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 10:02 AM   #689
Reeborg
Commander

I really feel that they should make a DS9 sampler BD to see if market potential is big enough, as there is obviously doubt about profitability of such an undertaking. After finishing TNG sason 7 and with the season 6 DS9 HD-material they may be able to put such a sampler together at reasonable cost to them. Even if the actual HD remastering of the whole series would not happen immediately.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 02:50 PM   #690
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I can't see myself buying a sampler personally.

To paraphrase a movie, "I don't want some of the episodes, I want -all- the episodes!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote