RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Posts: 5,430,592
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 490
Newest member: Old Man 51


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 197 56.45%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 57 16.33%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 38 10.89%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 51 14.61%
I don't know. 6 1.72%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 6 2014, 11:39 PM   #1156
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I'm a fan and I'm not seeing my option: I love the Prime Novelverse, and I love the nuVerse movies, and I'm just fine with BOTH continuing for as long as possible. And if they want to bring yet *another* take along in some form, as well, I'll give that a shot, too.
It sounds like the third option is your choice.
No, because it's more than "I wouldn't mind". I WANT the Prime Timeline back. I just want to see where the nuVerse goes, TOO.
I was going to say the first option is your choice because you do want it back but if you're saying you wouldn't want it back at the expense of the current timeline, the second option is your choice. Other than that, you could just claim fandom to it all with the fourth option. You care but you want it all just the same.

If all else fails, the fifth option is there for the undecided, the unsure, and those on the fence concerned with the many variables that goes into bringing the Prime timeline back.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 12:55 AM   #1157
Last Redshirt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Last Redshirt's Avatar
 
Location: On the Starship Enterprise
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
This is my idea "universe" as well. The nice thing is, anything about what came before that the production team doesn't want to feature can quite simply be pushed into the extreme background.

They for example don't have to even mention the Cardassians (please don't), the Romulans (please don't), section 31 (please don't), the Borg ...

The Federation at almost any time period was/is going to have vast areas that we the audience never saw and never heard of. We don't need hyper-warp drives or voyages to Andromeda to have stories involving new situations and interesting aliens.

It's really about the abilities of the writers, skills of the actors, and vision of the directors.

Not about the setting.

I disagree with the idea that we shouldn't see the Cardassians, or the Romulans, or the Klingons, or the Borg again. They're just too central to the franchise, the Romulans and the Klingons moreso. The franchise would be worse off without them in it, at least in an episode or two a season. I'm not asking for entire plot arcs written to just bring the Romulans in for the sake of it, but, you can't just throw them to the wind.

Well, there's whole expanses of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, if all my Star Charts books are to be believed, that haven't been even looked at yet. Send a ship to those parts, and bring back that TOS spirit of discovery and adventure, and pushing the human experience, while writing with the plots and continuity of DS9.

Frankly, the days of TOS standalone episodes are really over. I mean, you can have the majority of the series have those while still maintaining a plot arc, but at the end of the day continuity is a must.

As for writers, well, keep B&B, as well as everyone involved with Lensflare Universe as far away from the production as possible.
Last Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 01:03 AM   #1158
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Last Redshirt wrote: View Post
Frankly, the days of TOS standalone episodes are really over. I mean, you can have the majority of the series have those while still maintaining a plot arc, but at the end of the day continuity is a must.
I keep getting told this but I still think it all comes down to how entertaining is it? If it isn't entertaining, stand-alone vs. arc won't matter. If it is entertaining, stand-alone vs. arc won't matter.

I just hope that if they go arc base, they don't try to drag out a paper-thin story over multiple seasons. Which is what many of these arc-based shows try to do.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 02:36 AM   #1159
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Then read the novels. The Prime universe is dead as far as live-action goes...
They used to say that about Kirk. Given enough time and the right people who want it, anything is possible.
The right people who would do this would just pleasing fans that are aging and won't be around forever.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 05:28 AM   #1160
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
... just pleasing fans that are aging and won't be around forever.
I'm in my mid-twenties, and figure I have fifty or sixty years ahead of me.

I would find a "return" to the prime universe very pleasing.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 06:44 AM   #1161
wulfio
Commander
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Wingsley wrote: View Post
The STARGATE TV franchise gave us 10 years of SG-1, plus additional series in ATLANTIS and SGU. That was a 14-year-run in a single continuity. Granted, STARGATE on TV wasn't exactly the same as STAR TREK, but continuity obviously wasn't the problem there; the newer series simply weren't as good as SG-1, so the stories didn't measure up, and the ratings declined.
SGU was a good show with good writing and acting. It suffered because the `true sg fans` were pissed it didn`t have the camp of the previous 2 series, and subsequently they boycotted it(From top to bottom it had the best acting of all the SG series). The result was a ratings nose dive and cancellation of the series.

Rather than appreciating the show for what it was, and allowing the showrunners to try out a different direction, the fans were ironically the reason why the franchise died, and the idea of the continuation of the franchise through spin offs was not even entertained.

It`d be the same as if everyone boycotting DS9 because it wasn`t trek, and forcing it to be cancelled. And then we wouldn`t have gotten 2 more series, and a few movies of star trek.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 07:30 AM   #1162
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

I found Stargate: Universe to be badly written from top to bottom, and even then I gave the series 21 episodes before realizing it wasn't improving and abandoning ship.

I submit to you that fans (and, more widely, general audiences) gave up on the series because the producers erroneously believed that grim characterization and dark lighting would magically make it good television, not because of an unwillingness by fans to accept the series on its own terms.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 11:08 AM   #1163
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Along the border of Talarian space
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

wulfio wrote: View Post
SGU was a good show with good writing and acting. It suffered because the `true sg fans` were pissed it didn`t have the camp of the previous 2 series, and subsequently they boycotted it(From top to bottom it had the best acting of all the SG series). The result was a ratings nose dive and cancellation of the series.

Rather than appreciating the show for what it was, and allowing the showrunners to try out a different direction, the fans were ironically the reason why the franchise died, and the idea of the continuation of the franchise through spin offs was not even entertained.
Have to agree with all of that. Of the three Gate series SGU is my favourite by far. Shame it wasn't given then same chance as the others.

wulfio wrote: View Post
It`d be the same as if everyone boycotting DS9 because it wasn`t trek, and forcing it to be cancelled. And then we wouldn`t have gotten 2 more series, and a few movies of star trek.
I love DS9, it is my favourite of all Trek and though I would've been horrified if they'd cancelled it, when you see how poor most of VOY and ENT turned out to be, not getting those series wouldn't really have been a bad thing.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Susanna Leijten, U.S.S. Silverfin NCC-4470, Border Service Third Cutter Squadron
Manip by: FltCpt. Bossco (STPMA)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 03:38 PM   #1164
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Harvey wrote: View Post

I submit to you that fans (and, more widely, general audiences) gave up on the series because the producers erroneously believed that grim characterization and dark lighting would magically make it good television, not because of an unwillingness by fans to accept the series on its own terms.
+1
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 11:55 PM   #1165
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I found Stargate: Universe to be badly written from top to bottom, and even then I gave the series 21 episodes before realizing it wasn't improving and abandoning ship.

I submit to you that fans (and, more widely, general audiences) gave up on the series because the producers erroneously believed that grim characterization and dark lighting would magically make it good television...
I can't remember where I read it for the life of me, but I recall an article in which someone applied almost the exact same sentiments to Trek, particularly in the area of visuals. It said something to the effect that after TNG, Trek shows started to become less and less colorful until they eventually became just downright murky with sets largely devoid of color and drab uniform costumes. I think the article referred to later Trek shows as being "visually uninteresting" (except when something was being blown up perhaps).
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 03:39 AM   #1166
wulfio
Commander
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I found Stargate: Universe to be badly written from top to bottom, and even then I gave the series 21 episodes before realizing it wasn't improving and abandoning ship.

I submit to you that fans (and, more widely, general audiences) gave up on the series because the producers erroneously believed that grim characterization and dark lighting would magically make it good television, not because of an unwillingness by fans to accept the series on its own terms.
I suppose we have very different taste and definitions of good. Because to me SGA was horribly written AND acted. It was sharknado territory. And save for MacGyver and his excellent delivery and comedic timing, SG-1 wasn`t much better. Christopher Judge was either way too campy, or just a really bad actor, either way I couldn`t enjoy him. I don`t recall any of the performances in SGU being laughable. I`m not sure what constitutes good for you.

I can understand if you`re tired of a certain tone in television. Are they guilty of using a few TV cliche`s? Sure. But why be totally dismissive of it? This was not a poorly written show despite their inclination to fall back on a music montage now and again. There were many positives in this show if people could appreciate things for what they are, and what they do good, rather than what they don`t do. Unlike SGA, this show was carried by a couple really good actors. However, If you consider this poorly written, then how on earth can you call the previous 2 series good? SG1 at least didn`t take itself seriously. But SGA tried to replicate SG1`s formula and failed. And when they tried to take themselves seriously, it was just the same caliber as movies on syfy.

I submit to you that this is exactly the attitude that killed the franchise.

Last edited by wulfio; July 8 2014 at 03:53 AM.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 05:21 AM   #1167
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

You won't hear me defend the quality of writing on Stargate: Atlantis. After the first season, it was mostly dreadful.

Having said that, Stargate: Atlantis at least had a sense of humor about itself -- usually -- which often (though not always) made it watchable. (The number of qualifiers speaks to my low regard for the series).

SGU abandoned the sense of humor completely, and replaced it with forced interpersonal conflict, dull characters, empty mysticism, and a pace that could be absolutely plodding.

SGU also absorbed many of the tropes of (better) serialized television dramas (shuffled chronology, secretive characters, pop song wrap-up montages, handheld photography, and more) without knowing how to properly use any of them.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 11:12 AM   #1168
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Doctor Who is another show which, despite keeping mostly to the same continuity, has undergone a big shift in tone and execution since it's original run. Far from becoming dark and gritty, it's sped up by about 10x, replaced standing and talking with running and doing, and sexualized it's main character. IMO it's infinitely improved, but I'm sure that, like Trekkies longing for a return to the slower and talkier TNG, there are Who fans who want to bring the old style back.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 06:38 PM   #1169
wulfio
Commander
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Doctor Who is another show which, despite keeping mostly to the same continuity, has undergone a big shift in tone and execution since it's original run. Far from becoming dark and gritty, it's sped up by about 10x, replaced standing and talking with running and doing, and sexualized it's main character. IMO it's infinitely improved, but I'm sure that, like Trekkies longing for a return to the slower and talkier TNG, there are Who fans who want to bring the old style back.
It`s weird, I just can`t get in to Who and Sherlock. Something about the cinematography throws me off.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 10:13 AM   #1170
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

It took me until very recently, and a few failed previous attempts, to get into Doctor Who. Now I'm a fan.

Maybe it's the accents? I watch so much American TV (especially sci-fi), it's weird to hear people in space, often in the distant future, who could live down the road.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
prime timeline, prime trek

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.