RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,402
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 638
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 2 2014, 06:42 PM   #2551
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

It's plausible enough that the Freehold simply never got around to adding Westeros to its sphere of influence (which extended far beyond its formal territory) before the Doom. But given that Martin has drawn readers' attention to the fact via that line in the Tyrion chapter, I suspect a magical explanation that may be somewhat elucidated in the remaining books.
Old July 2 2014, 08:44 PM   #2552
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

It's more than a bit silly to suggest that on the basis of one throwaway line Martin was hinting at some big future reveal. The last two books were bloated as hell, too, and I have serious doubts we should expect every line in them to represent much of consequence for the future volumes.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 09:11 PM   #2553
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Except that these books, even the bloated ones, are full of seemingly throwaway references and moments that turn out to be hinting at future reveals large and small (I don't think and didn't suggest that this one would be any of great import). Is this one of them? Possibly not. But I'm not sure Martin would specifically highlight a bit of worldbuilding that looks like contrivance without having a reason for doing so. And since the series seems to be coming down to an opposition between the magic of the Others and the magic of dragons, I don't find it silly to speculate on the significance of the masters of the latter declining to extend their reach into lands troubled by the former.
Old July 3 2014, 01:47 AM   #2554
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
And no Iron born characters in the casting breakdown either?
Even WiC who released this immediately added that this is not an exhaustive list, just one they got their hands on. Why do people keep treating it as it is the complete list, even though that would make zero sense, unless they're only casting minor character + Doran, Yara Greyjoy will develop a multiple personality disorder and start playing her uncles' roles, Davos will spend a season talking to himself, and Peter Dinklage will play everyone he meets on his journey (minus Jorah)?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2014, 03:11 PM   #2555
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Will you wind your neck in? I merely observed that there are no Iron Born characters in this list. The only person jumping to conclusions round here is you. Stop referring to these imaginary "people" who aren't posting here.
Old July 3 2014, 07:07 PM   #2556
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

From Winter is Coming:

According to Icelandic news site RÚV, Game of Thrones will be returning to Iceland to film its newest season, as the show has done the last few years. However when HBO’s film crew turns up, it’ll be without the actors of GoT, and for a much briefer stay.

RÚV reports that the main focus of filming this fall will be landscape shots only. They spoke with GoT line producer Snorri Þórisson, who confirmed that the show intended to film a battle in Iceland in the month of November, but that with rewrites, the scene grew too large. Filming in Iceland in the fall poses some difficulty as there is a very limited amount of daylight hours, and so the battle scene will have to filmed elsewhere.
As many had speculated, it sounds like they're filming the Battle of Winterfell for season five, although I guess there may be other possibilities.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; July 3 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 12:10 PM   #2557
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^Will you wind your neck in? I merely observed that there are no Iron Born characters in this list. The only person jumping to conclusions round here is you. Stop referring to these imaginary "people" who aren't posting here.
I can assure you that these people (they really are people,I believe, not "people". OK, maybe theoretically they can be robots/software designed to post pretending to be ASOAIF fans, but it's unlikely...) really exist and are not imaginary. They may not be posting here, but they are sure posting on WinterisComing, Westeros.org and other major ASOAIF/GoT websites/forums. You must have missed the uproar about Arianne etc. not being in the casting call and people ranting about Arianne, the Ironborn etc. being cut, even though the original article on WiC pointed out immediately that this is not an exhaustive list.

And no, I'm not going to wind my neck in... whatever that may be.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 03:39 PM   #2558
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Yes, I must have missed it because it wasn't on this thread and I'm only commenting in response to posts and discussions here. If people are ranting on the sites you name, then rant back at them on those sites, not at people on this one. I don't see any wild speculation here about multiple personalities, Tyrion travelling by himself etc, on this thread.

Sure, we've discussed the extent to which the next season will depart from the books, the involvement of the Ironborn and the axing or otherwise of their Kingsmoot but as far as I can see, the discussion has been measured and conducted with reference to evidence and the tidbits we know so far (Balon not being dead yet, Daario referring to capturing 93 ships etc.). And nobody is claiming to know or predict what will happen next season, just like nobody predicted the white walker turning Craster's son or the plot with the mutineers or The Hound and Brienne's duel, etc, etc. So even if the entire Ironborn plot is axed (and my own personal suggestion some pages back, if you'd actually read other posts, was that they'd kept Balon alive so as to do away with the Kingsmoot but would have him send Victarion after Danerys), it's hardly like they're unlikely to come up with new plots of their own to fill the gap.

So to come in and seize on one quote, without reference or context to the discussion surrounding, it and link it to a bunch of discussions on different websites involving different people, is frankly discourteous to the rest of the participants on this thread. Take out your frustration on the people on WIC or Westeros.org on them.

Ps - http://www.slang.org.uk/index.php?entryid=8294

Last edited by Captaindemotion; July 6 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 09:43 PM   #2559
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's an audition tape to play Quentyn Martell. Fan made or the real deal and therefore an indication that Quentyn has made the cut? Ours is the Fury at Winter is Coming believes it's an unsolicited submission. Probably so.
Old July 10 2014, 04:24 PM   #2560
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Emmy nominations have been announced and Game of Thrones scored 20 nominations, more than any other show:

Outstanding Drama Series
Outstanding Supporting Actress – Lena Headey
Outstanding Supporting Actor – Peter Dinklage
Outstanding Guest Actress – Diana Rigg
Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (“The Children”)
Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series – Neil Marshall (“The Watchers on the Wall”)
Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series - Nina Gold and Robert Sterne
Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - Ramin Djawadi
Outstanding Art Direction For A Contemporary Or Fantasy Series (Single-Camera)
Outstanding Cinematography (2 nominations): Jonathan Freeman (“Two Swords”) and Anette Haellmigk (“The Lion and the Rose”)
Outstanding Costumes for a Series (“The Lion and the Rose”)
Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series (“The Lion and the Rose”)
Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series - Non-Prosthetic (“Oathkeeper”)
Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (“The Children”)
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series (“The Watchers on the Wall”)
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series – One Hour (“The Watchers on the Wall”)
Outstanding Special and Visual Effects
Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Miniseries Or Movie
Outstanding Interactive Program – Game of Thrones Premiere : Facebook Live and Instagram
Old July 10 2014, 04:36 PM   #2561
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^^ Thanks amazing. More so amazing to me is that network TV has been virtually shut out of Drama nominations with House of Cards and Orange is the New Black receiving a bunch as well.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 04:45 PM   #2562
Dream
Admiral

Congratulations to Lena Headey for her first Emmy nomination!

This season will Peter Dinklage's best chance to win another Emmy.
Old July 10 2014, 08:40 PM   #2563
Lonemagpie
Writer

if Headey and Dinklage are nominated for "best supporting", who do they think the leading actors are?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 09:47 PM   #2564
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Actors are allowed to choose for themselves whether to submit in the lead or supporting categories. Sometimes members of large ensembles all submit as supporting; sometimes prominent actors choose supporting because they think they're more likely to win there.
Old July 10 2014, 09:53 PM   #2565
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

No nom for Pedro Pascal? That's a crime!
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote