New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 4 2014, 08:49 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Looks like Netflix is interested in making a New Star Trek Show

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think such show would more likely be a teenage drama probably closer in spirit to CTV's Degrassi, except set at Starfleet Academy rather than a high school.
Which would put a stake in the heart of the franchise. They need to go much younger in order to rebuild an aging fanbase.
Old July 4 2014, 10:25 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think such show would more likely be a teenage drama probably closer in spirit to CTV's Degrassi, except set at Starfleet Academy rather than a high school.
Which would put a stake in the heart of the franchise. They need to go much younger in order to rebuild an aging fanbase.
I agree. Less young love & angst and more action & adventure (with some food for thought now and then).
Old July 4 2014, 10:47 PM   #18
urbandefault
Captain

AviTrek wrote: View Post
James T Kirk wrote: View Post
Baffling that a new show doesnt come out. So many fans want this.

Someone needs to be broken off.
The fans that want it are a rounding error compared to what is needed to make the show profitable.
The same could be said about a lot of things, maybe most things, that "the fans want."
Old July 6 2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Pupp
Ensign

RunawayStarShip wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
This was already posted and debunked:

http://larrynemecek.blogspot.co.uk/2...tflix-cbs.html
Actually, the Mstarz article uses that exact post on Mr. Nemecek's blog as its source:

"As we know by now, Netflix has changed the TV/media landscape yet again by becoming a platform of clout with original shows like House of Cards and Orange Is the New Black-popular not only with fans, but critics...and now the award shows. It's in Netflix's interest to be casting about for new shows-including those from known franchises. I understand Star Trek is one of them-especially as Trek's 737 hours of "reruns" performs as a top draw ON Netflix. As I understand it, there have been overtures. But none taken. So far."
Now, from CBS' perspective, the fact that existing Star Trek is a top draw on Netflix is probably more incentive to continue on to remastering Deep Space Nine and Voyager after the completion of TNG HD than to shell out even more money on a new show (in addition to their remastering efforts).

Even then, after the remastering effort is over, CBS could probably still keep making money by just licensing their existing stuff. There is almost no incentive for CBS to make a new series unless Netflix is willing to pay for it... which will probably never happen.
I'm collecting Star Trek:TNG blu-ray seasons. If Deep Space 9 comes out in Blu Ray, I'll collect those also, even if I do get Netflix. Same for Voyager if it's ever remastered.

Won't collect Star Trek:TOS or Star Trek Enterprise as blu ray's though. I loved watching TOS as reruns as a kid, but time isn't kind to a show that came out in the 60's.
That being said, I do read books and novels set in the ToS universe. Last novel I read in fact was ToS: Spock Must Die!, which I thought was pretty damn good for something I found at a random garage sale for a dime.

In fact, I read Star Trek novels of all kinds. I hear there's over 600 Star Trek novels to date. Which means there's a story somewhere out there I just HAVE TO READ!!

Actually reading a Forgotten Realms novel at the moment though.
Pupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 10:21 AM   #20
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Pupp wrote: View Post
Won't collect Star Trek:TOS or Star Trek Enterprise as blu ray's though. I loved watching TOS as reruns as a kid, but time isn't kind to a show that came out in the 60's.
I will never understand this kind of thinking. Part of the fun of watching TOS is the very fact it's a 60's show made with 60's production values and 60's sensibilities - even though it was ahead of its time in many ways. Time has made TOS a treasure IMHO.

I don't know how old you are, but what's your "cut-off" point? Are 70's/80's shows OK? You're watching TNG, but that's looking every bit as dated as TOS for different reasons to my eye.
Old July 6 2014, 03:16 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think TOS has aged better than any of the spinoffs.
Old July 6 2014, 04:41 PM   #22
trevanian
Rear Admiral

TNG with its counselor on the bridge is clearly a remnant from 70s and EST and all this gaze-at-your-navel beliefthink, it dates really badly for me (it seemed out of date even while it was on the air.)

A limited series on flix would be the way to test the waters, a self-contained story like a lot of TV has become lately, like FARGO and many UK shows. Shared expenses would probably be of interest to CBS too ... that way they can build something that was nice enough to be reused for any followups.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 06:28 PM   #23
lewisniven
Lieutenant Commander

I think something targeted at kids could work, similar to the star wars clone wars CG series, something like that could work really well with trek, and compared to a live action series, wouldn't cost the earth to make.
Old July 7 2014, 03:07 AM   #24
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
TNG with its counselor on the bridge is clearly a remnant from 70s and EST and all this gaze-at-your-navel belief-think, it dates really badly for me (it seemed out of date even while it was on the air.)
Having a ship's shrink (which is what Troi is and what Elizabeth Dehner was) is vital for people to be able to function well, and to help them get back on track when something bad happens to them. It has nothing to do with EST, period; many ships in the present day U.S. Navy (for example) have them, as is evident in the story of Antwone Fisher. Maybe the execution was a little off, but the idea was and is sound, is a part of real life, and was a part of Star Trek from WNMHGB.

Little factoid related to De Forest Kelly; in the 1950's, he starred in a pilot episode of a TV series (similar to shows like The Silent Service, Navy Log , and Men of Annapolis) in which he played the ship's shrink on the carrier U.S.S. Enterprise (the show was not picked up.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 04:10 AM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

Having a therapist onboard the vessel makes sense (honestly, given the number of people aboard the Enterpirse-D, having several would be ideal).

Having Troi on the bridge never made much sense to me, though. One would think you'd want her to be busy being a therapist, which we're supposed to believe she has time to do in addition to her duties as part of the senior staff.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 02:59 PM   #26
trevanian
Rear Admiral

EXACTLY! Her being on the bridge is apparently just so she can sense the emotions of whoever they've got on the TV in front of them, so she's the equivalent of a drug-sniffing dog. Hardly worthy of these exalted 'better' 24thcenturyers.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 10:59 AM   #27
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

lewisniven wrote: View Post
I think something targeted at kids could work, similar to the star wars clone wars CG series, something like that could work really well with trek, and compared to a live action series, wouldn't cost the earth to make.
You mean like The Animated Series?
Old July 10 2014, 08:02 AM   #28
wulfio
Captain

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post

Said show could be a Starfleet Academy show, or just a show with a young crew (captain late '20's, early '30's rest of crew following suit and being in their mid to late 20's, early 30's) much like the current Star Trek movies.
As long as they don`t turn it in to a teen drama with lots of angst I`m on board.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 09:50 AM   #29
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Having a therapist onboard the vessel makes sense (honestly, given the number of people aboard the Enterpirse-D, having several would be ideal).

Having Troi on the bridge never made much sense to me, though. One would think you'd want her to be busy being a therapist, which we're supposed to believe she has time to do in addition to her duties as part of the senior staff.
I've always believed that was more of a Picard thing due to Troi having empathic abilities that would give him an advantage when dealing with people. On other Galaxy-class ships, counselors are stationed below decks, with that third command chair on the bridge occupied by the second officer or even not there at all, IMO.
Old July 15 2014, 06:25 AM   #30
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

wulfio wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post

Said show could be a Starfleet Academy show, or just a show with a young crew (captain late '20's, early '30's rest of crew following suit and being in their mid to late 20's, early 30's) much like the current Star Trek movies.
As long as they don`t turn it in to a teen drama with lots of angst I`m on board.
It's going to be about that (partially) since they're human beings, and you need that for drama.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote