Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 24 2014, 05:11 AM   #31
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: why another blu-ray of all Trek movies by 2016 will happen

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
From what I've heard, it's Daren Dochterman and his team who saved the CGI project files for TMP: DE, not paramount. If anyone should lead that project, it should be Daren and his team, they would be able to import the project files into the latest versions of maya or lightwave and get them looking just as perfect. The effects were created to be hi-def ready, so the models and textures should hold up.
I've read numerous post to the contrary, indicating that the DE effects were standard def only and would have to be completely redone for HD. Do you have a source for this?
Daren himself, from what I recall; I think it was somewhere buried on Trekmovie?
According to Daren's own comments to articles on TMP at his personal blog back circa 2009 when the disappointing BD release came out it wouldn't be hard to re-ender at 1080p.

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
What he means is, the models/textures COULD hold up if rendered at 1080p, but at the time, for the DVD, they only rendered them in 480. Apparently nobody at Paramount thought ahead and asked/paid for a 1080p rendering as well.
Yep, DVD was the target resolution, and that's all they paid for. The VFX team apparently repeatedly told Paramount Home Video that it was a shortsighted idea, but this was circa 2001, the majority of people didn't have HDTVs back then (it took another 5 years for mass market penetration of HDTVs), so they took the quick buck route, imagine that...

There is a blog somewhere of one of the VFX artists who was at Foundation back then, he did a render of some of the TMP elements at something approximating 1080p, it doesn't look spectacular, but it looks decent. The fact that it's not spectacular is more due more to it needing to have some updated/higher resolution textures here and there, than anything else. Which would be pretty darn easy to do. The meshes seem like they'd do fine.

EDIT: Found it, Lee Stringer's blog: http://www.leestringer.com/gal_sttmp1.html

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; June 24 2014 at 05:25 AM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 08:38 AM   #32
Oso Blanco
Commodore

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
circa 2009 when the disappointing BD release came out
As someone who hates the TMP DE with a passion, I am quite happy about the 2009 TMP BluRay release ...
Old June 24 2014, 02:35 PM   #33
Lance
Commodore

I'm conflicted about Director's Cuts. While I appreciate the thinking behind them, the idea that sometimes a movie can be improved by recutting it years later, I am also of the belief that the theatrical versions not be lost to history as a result. I'm wary that Director's Cuts can sometimes be cases where the persons behind the camera have taken liberties with material that they personally have never been entirely happy with, but they've failed to take into account the subjective opinions of their audiences who might like the theatrical versions perfectly fine thank you very much.

I mean, for one example: Sam Raimi hates the theatrical ending of 'Army of Darkness', he makes no excuses for replacing it with his prefered ending on the Director's Cut because ultimately he feels he was shackled by the studios insistence that he give his movie a less bleak ending... but for me, as a viewer, I subjectively prefer the theatrical cut. I like the studio mandated ending better, I like Ash getting home and then getting kick ass on a Deadite, and I would be bitterly disappointed if somebody suddenly said to me "Actually, screw you, the Director's Cut is all we're gonna give you".

Of course as long as the theatrical versions remain available then I say "bring it on".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:40 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Lance wrote: View Post
Of course as long as the theatrical versions remain available then I say "bring it on".
This should never be an issue going forward as the technology exists to give consumers multiple movies on a single disc/download. But it will.
Old June 25 2014, 04:09 AM   #35
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
circa 2009 when the disappointing BD release came out
As someone who hates the TMP DE with a passion, I am quite happy about the 2009 TMP BluRay release ...
My comment was less about the lack of an HD version of the DE per-say, and more about the terrible handling of all the movies by Paramount.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 05:15 AM   #36
Oso Blanco
Commodore

My comment was less about the lack of an HD version of the DE per-say, and more about the terrible handling of all the movies by Paramount.
On that we can agree!
Old June 25 2014, 03:33 PM   #37
MakeshiftPython
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
This should never be an issue going forward as the technology exists to give consumers multiple movies on a single disc/download. But it will.
I love that we live at a time when multiple versions of films are offered in the same package. The prime examples being CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and BLADE RUNNER. I never even watched the Special Edition or Director's Cut of the former, but at least I have the option available. The handling of TMP in all formats has so far been underwhelming. There was no reason the theatrical and director's edition couldn't be on the DVD via seamless branching, and having that director's edition only mastered at 480i was short sighted. Didn't that actually get a limited screening in theaters? I know tons of flicks from that era that got a "director's cut" had something like that at least.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 06:15 PM   #38
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

trevanian wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
The other aspect with physical media is that you have the version of a film that you want, and it isn't subject to any revision that should happen to get implemented, be it colorization, CG or a different sound mix, or even editorial censorship. If you look at VIDEO WATCHDOG it is easy to see that lots of films have various versions, many of which diminish the original significantly.
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we'll never get a properly colored version of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly -- I think it's doomed to live forever on DVD. All the Blu-rays have been horrific.
That's good to know. I usually look at blu-ray.com for their reviews before upgrading (which is why I still don't own the DePalma M:I, have been waiting for a BR after skipping the DVD) and they seem to think highly of two different versions of TGTB&TU, but I'll defer to you on this and just hang onto my DVD for now (wonder what color version is on the netflix streaming version?)
For visual illustration:

Shitty 2009 US Blu-ray:
http://i.imgur.com/tYb1yKl.jpg

Italian Blu-ray:
http://i.imgur.com/Q34mNaX.jpg

New release:
http://i.imgur.com/3D68kih.jpg

Apparently because it's a Western, it must be yellow.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2014, 01:54 AM   #39
austen_pierce
Captain

I agree that physical media still has life in it, although maybe not for more than another three to five years. I like to have my movies in hand. I don't want my movies in a cloud, where they're subject to the whim and moreover the survival of a company.

That CBS has done so well with TV Trek and PHV has been so inconsistent and questionable with their treatment of the feature films frustrates me. I do think we'll get another release on BluRay, as a 4K physical format won't be ready for prime time in 2016 (if ever), but I am not confident Paramount will give us the all-in, make-everyone-happy releases we're longing for.

When I die, I want Paramount to be my pall bearers, so that they can let me down one last time.
Old June 29 2014, 09:02 PM   #40
MakeshiftPython
Captain

For visual illustration:

Shitty 2009 US Blu-ray:
http://i.imgur.com/tYb1yKl.jpg

Italian Blu-ray:
http://i.imgur.com/Q34mNaX.jpg

New release:
http://i.imgur.com/3D68kih.jpg

Apparently because it's a Western, it must be yellow.
It's so strange. Reading the review, it says they did a lot of referencing from original prints to get the colors right for the new release and that the previous blu-rays were all wrong. Is that just a lie by the studio or did it really look like that in the 1960s? It's not a look I'm used to, but if it IS accurate then I'd have to try to get used to it I guess.

No doubt this is sending the blu-ray.com forums to a frenzy. "It doesn't look like my old laserdisc!"
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 03:11 AM   #41
Gone Troppo
Ensign

You know, I was thinking about upgrading my movie set to bluray considering that I have the first releases on DVD (except stid, waiting for the compendium set) and am not too happy with them. So while trying to find the best price, I came across listings for some of the movies being released (again) on Tuesday, July 1st. Anybody know what's with that? So far, I know Wal-Mart and I think Amazon have preorders up.
Gone Troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 12:14 PM   #42
austen_pierce
Captain

Gone Troppo wrote: View Post
You know, I was thinking about upgrading my movie set to bluray considering that I have the first releases on DVD (except stid, waiting for the compendium set) and am not too happy with them. So while trying to find the best price, I came across listings for some of the movies being released (again) on Tuesday, July 1st. Anybody know what's with that? So far, I know Wal-Mart and I think Amazon have preorders up.
Links please? I see nothing for a July 1 release. Only the compendium set, slated for 9/9. That is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Comp...ords=star+trek
Old June 30 2014, 05:28 PM   #43
Gone Troppo
Ensign

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Sta...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Gone Troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:14 AM   #44
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Either a mistake by Amazon or a repackaging of existing material. I'm betting on the former, since it is pretty late in the game for there to be no images of the packaging available.
Old July 3 2014, 03:47 AM   #45
austen_pierce
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Either a mistake by Amazon or a repackaging of existing material. I'm betting on the former, since it is pretty late in the game for there to be no images of the packaging available.
AND... this is another example of Amazon consolidating reviews across formats and releases. Normally, I'd look to the comments section for guidance on what exactly this is, but... foiled again.

As it stands, there is no review or comment listed for TWOK on Amazon since June 22, before the alleged July 1 date, so who knows...