CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2013, 03:57 PM   #136
tighr
Commodore

Re: Ender's Game (2013 Film)

publiusr wrote: View Post
I can see it leading to a space station with Super Nexus (uranus, Neptune boosters)--but that underground base is pushing it.
Underground base was made by the buggers; they stole that, too.
Old November 9 2013, 09:39 PM   #137
darth_ender
Lieutenant Junior Grade

tighr wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Well, I haven't actually seen the movie yet, so I don't know how accurate these reviews are. I've read the book, so I know how that story plays out, but how well does the movie capture these points?
Just got back from watching. The film touches on these points, but due to the nature of films I think it fails to drive them home.

I enjoyed it, but I can see where the reviewers who didn't read the book are going to miss out on the message. They don't explain why they needed children, nor that these kids are the smartest in the world. Just that they get good grades and are good at wargames. They don't drive home the point that Ender isn't just a good Commander, he's the best there ever was. The fight with Bonzo comes across as an accident instead of as a pure tactical calculated total destruction of his enemy. Casting a shorter actor (I think he's even shorter than Bean) takes away some of the menace, too. Instead of a big kid trying to beat up a little kid and losing badly, its a jerk getting what's coming.

The passage of time (5 years in the book) is ignored, and the film seems to take place in less than a year.
This precisely summed up my issues with the movie. I liked it, but it missed several things, which you well enumerated here. My addition to it would be the attempt to compress the story in a very poor way: moving Command School from the Asteroid Belt to the Formic colony world. First, to get there as quickly as they did would require faster-than-light travel, which is prohibited by our known laws of physics and even an important aspect of the Enderverse. Even traveling at maximum speeds close to the speed of light, time dilation occurs which causes time to pass far more quickly for those cruising the stars than those on worlds. Yet, neither of these physics issues is noted in the movie, which makes it incompatible with any of the sequel stories.

Even more critical if we are looking at the movie as a standalone story independent of any of the sequel books, it makes it clear that we were defeating the Formics all along. We ran them off all their colonies. We had them trapped on their homeworld. All of Ender's battles must have been simulations, except for the very last. In the book, Ender himself was the one pushing them off their various worlds, as all the battles were real.

The ansible isn't explained, just namedropped. The fleet isn't explained as having traveled for 50 years, so you lose the weight of human capital for the war effort.
While you are right here as well, they did show the fleet's impending arrival in "28 days." I thought that was a foolish thing to do as well, as it implied that the real battles were very soon. It would have been wiser for them to leave that part ambiguous. The whole book we think the International Fleet is preparing for the next invasion, and only at the end do we realize that we are the next invasion. In the movie it's obvious the whole time that we were the aggressors the whole way through. Makes the xenocide even more despicable on our part, as it looks far more avoidable than in the books.
darth_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 11:26 PM   #138
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Has any anyone been substituting aliens for homosexuals?

Clues to how he fights against his enemies in the real world.

"I kept kicking him even after he was down because I wanted to win the next battle, and all future wars."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 02:50 AM   #139
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

While you are right here as well, they did show the fleet's impending arrival in "28 days." I thought that was a foolish thing to do as well, as it implied that the real battles were very soon. It would have been wiser for them to leave that part ambiguous.
Yeah, I had a problem with that too. Although my problem was putting the 28 days thing made it seem like they were rushing Ender's training even more instead of giving the illusion he'd been there more than a couple of weeks. It felt like that in the movie.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 03:43 AM   #140
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They must have said "28 days" while I went to the toilet.

I didn't underatand that there was a ticking clock, in fact I thought that humanity had fought them back to their homeworld and were refusing to accept any definition of surrender from the alien scum.

But if that Justification tracks, then Tarkin was allowed to blow up Aalderan because the Rebel Alliance was about to gleefully topple the Empire.

Old November 10 2013, 03:48 AM   #141
tighr
Commodore

The 28 days thing was an offhand reference to a graphic on the screen showing how long until the fleet was in position around the bugger home world, shown when Harrison Ford is saying "we don't have enough time!!"
Old November 10 2013, 03:58 AM   #142
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Thank you.

You look at your 11 year old nephew holding onto his kidneys, as he says that he needs to go to the toilet and that you need to take him and you try to figure out if he's old enough to go to the movie theatre toilets by himself... Which is when you realize that you don't think that even you are old enough to go to the movie theatre toilets by yourself.

Old November 10 2013, 09:02 AM   #143
Kommander
Commodore

I've been eagerly awaiting this movie since it was announced like 15 years ago, so, there is no way I was going to not be disappointed with it. Even if it was a faithful and complete adaptation of the book I would still be disappointed. Still, I thought it might not be terrible and definitely worth seeing. I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be, which is probably the best this could have possibly turned out.

The switch to teenagers from children is understandable, and didn't take away too much from the film. The main reason it's been in development for over a decade is that, while it might be possible to find one or two child actors capable of playing these characters, the 20 or more actually needed was logistically impossible. This movie wasn't getting made until someone said "fuck it, they're teenagers now."

I also liked how Bonzo was really short. It made sense for his personality. I could imagine him being taunted for his size when he was a Launchie and resolving to never let anyone push him around or make him look bad. Also, the fight in the bathroom, the part where Ender said "I could break your arm right now" in the same tone Peter said "I could kill you like this" near the beginning was awesome. When Bonzo was in the infirmary after the fight, I noticed something funny. It looked like the machine was repairing occipital lobe damage. The impact he sustained at the end of the fight also likely caused frontal lobe damage as well. Frontal lobe damage often results in personality changes. I could imagine the doctors saying "wait, lets not fix that yet. Maybe he'll be less of a dick now."

Including just enough of the fantasy game to establish that the bug queen was using it for communication and to reference The Giant's Drink was probably the best way to go about things without fully hashing it out and spending too much time with it. I wish they would have also shown Peter and Val trying to take over the world just enough to establish that it happened.

As for what I didn't like: The Full Metal Jacket references were very tiresome.

There probably won't be a sequel at this point, but the movie didn't leave a lot of options for adapting the existing novels. Completely ignoring the Peter and Val subplot doesn't really allow for for the Shadow books, and the FTL drive and that the ansible has a limited range for instantaneous communication really screws up possibilities for the original sequels. That, and most of the other books are different and don't make for good space-battle movies. The Shadow books were far more politics-based, and the original sequels were-- whatever it was they were supposed to be. It might be possible to Speaker for the Dead by changing the plot significantly and using all the books for source material. Apply the political unrest of Earth to the new colonies instead, have Peter unite the colonies instead of Earth, and have this happening at the same time as the stuff on the planet with the pigs who become trees when they die, and have some space battles and stuff.
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:53 PM   #144
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

The domestic box office fell 62 percent this weekend, dropping from 1st place to 5th. I waited two decades for this movie, and it looks like it will quickly fade away.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3751&p=.htm
Old November 11 2013, 11:19 PM   #145
Mr Light
Admiral

Did anyone else notice in the scene where Graf is talking to Ender after cracking the short leader boy's head open... Harrison Ford has a piece of food hanging below his lip? It's there for all his close ups, then when they end on a medium shot it's gone.

Also, I don't remember the post-credit scene being in the the book, where Graf tells Ender now they must prepare for their next war against the Sodomites. Was that the next book or something? I only read the first one...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 09:22 PM   #146
sonak
Vice Admiral

I just saw it, and as someone who is a big fan of the book and waited a long time for it, I was pleased with it. It was good, but not great. I don't know why they had to cut the running time so much, there was a lot they left out or covered too quickly. They changed or left out a lot of the cruder and more childish language(like the repeated references to "fart, fart-eater," etc.)) which was a good move. Leaving out the "Demosthenes and Locke" internet subplot made sense.
Old November 20 2013, 11:05 PM   #147
Relayer1
Commodore

Having purchased the book over a decade ago and not having read it yet, I had no preconceptions.

It was OK. Not a particularly good story, but an O.K. film - I didn't want my money back and I don't want a sequel...
Old January 22 2014, 04:15 PM   #148
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Thank you.

You look at your 11 year old nephew holding onto his kidneys, as he says that he needs to go to the toilet and that you need to take him and you try to figure out if he's old enough to go to the movie theatre toilets by himself... Which is when you realize that you don't think that even you are old enough to go to the movie theatre toilets by yourself.
Holy crap. This might be the only time you haven't used metaphor or hyperbole in a sentence.

I've only ever used the restroom one time during a movie and that was Return of the King. 3.5 hours was enough.

I just saw the movie last night. I was pretty excited about the film since its inception until my interest was dampened by the trailers. I'm glad I finally saw it, but it was sadly on par with what I thought it was going to be. Just an OK adaptation. I think the screenplay was great, but some of the visuals and acting were really iffy.
Old June 30 2014, 02:02 PM   #149
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I finally got to see it a few days ago. It's bizarre that I did not manage to see it earlier, since I have been eagerly awaiting this movie since the 90's (and it even starred Han Solo!) but real life prevents me from indulging immediately in every movie I want to see.

Anyway, I liked it. Of course it wasn't nearly as good as the book, but I never expected it to be. Despite some big changes that others have pointed out (like the FTL traveling and the condensed period of training time) it actually followed the book more closely than I was expecting. It's a shame it didn't do better at the box office, because I thought the filmmakers did well.
Old June 30 2014, 02:16 PM   #150
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

I read the book so long ago that it would have been going in without preconception (had I not decided to refresh myself on the book). But I still found it to be an enjoyable film. Nothing spectacular but I can think of much worse ways to spend a couple hours. The acting was hit or miss and sometimes it was hard to feel connected to the characters but I thought the special effects were well done and the overall story enjoyable.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote