Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 28 2014, 05:47 AM   #376
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Continuum the new tv series!

They will just get a new Sonya from another time line.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 06:06 AM   #377
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It doesn't work like that?

There isn't a continuum?

Does the creation of a new timeline, always result in the demolishment of the old timeline?

If so, then parallel timelines do not coexist simultaneously.

Therefore there isn't a mirror universe intact perhaps one side, or a few layers down into a club sandwiches of timelines from which we are watching that has a Sonya comparable to the Sonya who died.

Only a different Sonya from 2077 can arrive in the past, or someone from "now" can go back a week, and stop her suicide run.

Actually, I've just inviolated the self fulfilling paradox, there is no cyclic need to keep sending Liber8 back from the execution chamber, because you'll just end up with multiple liber8s. Actually, if Old Alec from the pilot had gone though this before in an older more original timeline, his own personal history/memories, then he would have had to have sent cleaners back first to remove the original liber8 (And Kira.) he had met as a child himself so that the new liber8 which he had tweaked and guided since most of them had been born could be sent back to make a slightly better future.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 06:18 AM   #378
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I'm not convinced these timelines don't in some way exist simultaneously.

Garza is the one I would have really cried over though, glad she is still there.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 28 2014, 06:47 AM   #379
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We saw a Universe fall into the sea because it couldn't cope with a paradox of unsatisfied future-history.

Old June 28 2014, 07:18 AM   #380
teacake
Fleet Admiral

We did?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 28 2014, 08:13 AM   #381
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We did.

After Alec abandoned the season 2 timeline, it took a few hours, but eventually Kira saw space time blowing up, storms, massive bolts of lightning and mountains falling into the sea, and that's why she had to be sent into the past to stop their being two Alec's (in the new season 3 timeline) which seems to be slightly less destructive than there being no Alec's in the (season two) timeline.

Of course... It was presupposed that Alec's domination of the technologies market is why the universe collapsed in on itself, when that can't have been true since Brad Tonkin was already active in season 2 beneath "our" radar which means that Alec was Jack Shit important to the Future more so than Carlos when his absence caused the space time to implode.

Alec was not important.

Alec's departure caused the universe to die.

Therefore the universe cannot cope with any players of any pedigree being removed from it's planned sequencing.

Old June 28 2014, 08:23 AM   #382
teacake
Fleet Admiral

So much for the step on a butterfly deal.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 28 2014, 08:50 AM   #383
Borgminister

What I hate is how they stamped out the future and everything happens in the present now save for "flashbacks".

Saves on effects bucks, but the story might get tedious and even more confusing.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 10:36 AM   #384
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Was Kira sent into the past?

I thought the Freelancers put her in a bubble that simply ignored the destruction of the timeline before Alec went back in time, and as his time jump was destroying that timeline, Kira was protected from it and wound up in the new one.

There were still two of her because of that, but I don't think she herself did any time traveling in that episode.
Old June 28 2014, 10:52 AM   #385
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

She went back a week.

Probably to just before Alec split the timeline, so that she could follow him up stream.

(Actually, determinism says that she herself would split as the time junction split and she would go up both timelines, even though one of them is doomed and it would seem like she failed utterly to follow Alec anywhere.)

That's why she was able to solve season 2 liber8 plots as they rehappened in early season 3.

We saw a repeat of crazy Lucas being directed by Julian pretending to be Nagame.

There was more than that too.

Old June 28 2014, 04:27 PM   #386
sojourner
Admiral

Let's just face the fact that as it currently stands the writer's version of time travel doesn't hold up to scrutiny at the current time. They are going to have to come up with something really createive to restore any consistency to how it works.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure still stands as the best internally consistent time travel film/show.
Old June 28 2014, 04:32 PM   #387
Christopher
Writer

Borgminister wrote: View Post
What I hate is how they stamped out the future and everything happens in the present now save for "flashbacks".

Saves on effects bucks, but the story might get tedious and even more confusing.
Except we just saw a platoon of armored future soldiers (robots?) show up in 2014 Vancouver. That doesn't strike me as something that would reduce VFX expenditures.

Besides, flashbacks (or flashforwards, really) were all we saw of the future after the first episode anyway. So I don't see why that needs to change. Even if the futures the characters remember have been "erased," the characters still remember them and are guided by their experiences in them. So the flashbackforwards would inform their behavior and relationships the same way they always have. This week we saw a flashsomething of Brad Tonkin's experiences in his future; we could easily see more of his memories, or similar ones for whatever new time-traveller characters are added next season.

Anyway, I think my favorite moment in the finale may have been when Lucas looked around and saw Travis, Garza, and Kiera coming to him together. "Whatever this is... I'm in!"

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 06:15 PM   #388
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Fabrux wrote: View Post
I got the impression that with Dillon incapacitated, Carlos is acting chief inspector. He almost said as such comparing himself to Commissioner Gordon and Kiera to Batman.

I wonder if we'll get to see Lexa Doig again? I believe I heard that Dillion was in "Recovery"
Old June 28 2014, 06:47 PM   #389
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The only problem I've seen with the time travel in this show is that they showed old Sadler smiliing knowingly when he first sent Kiera and Liber8 back in time. If you ignore that, it's pretty consistent for the most part.

At least I can't think of any other inconsistencies. If, again, you ignore that particular one. If you try to shoehorn it into a theory, everything else goes kaput though.
Old June 28 2014, 10:12 PM   #390
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You can explain that away with cleaners, or that he sent this bunch 5 years back earlier than he encountered the original liber8 from his personal timeline who sculpted him into the man he is, who are still going to show up in 4 years and change wondering why there have been other strange versions of themselves running around for 5 years.

As soon as Kellog's mother died we knew that the future and the past are not still umbilically connected.