TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old June 20 2014, 12:40 PM   #4696
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Though to be clear, while the LTS is great and worth it if you are committed to the game, it is also a commitment to the game in itself.

Don't buy it, if you don't plan to stick around.
Old June 20 2014, 11:14 PM   #4697
Captain_Amasov
Captain

So, this was posted over on the STO forum: http://iqfleet.org/private/leaks

A couple of odd choices for returning Delta Quadrant species.
Old June 21 2014, 01:11 AM   #4698
T J
Commodore

Kazon?!

Oh... please no...
Old June 21 2014, 02:52 AM   #4699
Captain_Amasov
Captain

T J wrote: View Post
Kazon?!

Oh... please no...
There was talk of allowing players to create Kazon for the KDF, with Talaxians and Ocampa accesible for the Federation.
Old June 21 2014, 04:07 AM   #4700
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I got my LTS almost immediately after the f2p release two years ago. Haven't regretted it one second. And its paid for itself several times over by now.
I actually got mine before the game launched.

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
So, this was posted over on the STO forum: http://iqfleet.org/private/leaks

A couple of odd choices for returning Delta Quadrant species.
You know the fact that the Borg and Voth are featured and the Undine will be in the Delta Quadrant makes me think a theory regarding how the Borg/Voth war, the Borg invasion of the Alpha Qudrant, and the Undine needing the Dyson spheres to attack the Alpha Qudrant might be connected to the Iconians attacking the Undine might be right.

The theory...

Basically after the Iconians attacked the Undine they (the Undine) stared their attempts to cleanse the galaxy by restarting their war with the Borg. The Borg got their asses handed to them and started attacking the Alpha Quadrant and the Voth to get a leg up on the Undine. And because the Undine's main fleet was already in the Delta Quadrant they decided to set up the Dyson spheres as a bridge to make razing the Alpha Quadrant easier since they don't have to dimension hope just to get there.
Old June 21 2014, 01:35 PM   #4701
intrinsical
Commodore

I just had a quick look at the new crafting system on Tribble. Ugh.

1) Big icons, but small fonts for assignment names. Its made duty officer assignments much harder to find. Also, all special duty officer assignment rewards are just listed as "Special Duty Officer", even though the reward could be a warp core, shield. Very. Non. Intuitive.

2) All star cluster maps have been removed and replaced by one button that opens up a duty officer assignments that used to be in star clusters. Meaning we've lost all personal and departmental duty officer assignments at star clusters.

3) Old one step crafting recipes have been replaced by multi-step crafting. I could not do any crafting as I have no idea where to find the new crafting materials. But from the UI it looks like first, you have to craft sub-components, then have a final crafting step that makes an item. The quality is random, controlled by crafting level so a high level crafter has more chance of creating very rare items. I am not sure I like the idea that I put in x amount of dilithium but because of random factor, I may not craft a very rare item.
Old June 21 2014, 04:11 PM   #4702
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Yes, the official forums are full of talk about this. The random part seems like it will really discourage people from using the new system. Unless you are dilithium rich, it makes more sense to spend a little more for a guarantee. If the new crafted gear has unique (and useful) mods, I can see that tempting some to go with it. Also, will crafted items be bound, or can they be posted to the exchange in the new system?

And now doffs will be necessary for crafting as well, which appears to use assignment slots. Seems like a lot of negative change with little apparent benefit so far.
Old June 22 2014, 03:06 AM   #4703
intrinsical
Commodore

Ruaidhri wrote: View Post
Yes, the official forums are full of talk about this. The random part seems like it will really discourage people from using the new system. Unless you are dilithium rich, it makes more sense to spend a little more for a guarantee. If the new crafted gear has unique (and useful) mods, I can see that tempting some to go with it.
The devs have mentioned in the past that they had considered making crafting a personal reputation faction. Which implies the items coming out of crafting will be roughly as powerful as personal reputation items. The dilithium costs is a further confirmation as they are in line with dil store costs and presonal reputation item costs. Unless Cryptic breaks its own design rules, there is no way the majority of crafted items will be as or more powerful than T5 fleet items.

The best Cryptic can do is have (A) unique mods that players find useful at the expense of less power elsewhere; and/or (B) have a tiny small handful of items that are more powerful than T5 fleet items. The third possibility is if the crafted item costs 300,000 dilithium, then yes it may be more powerful than a T5 fleet item.

Ruaidhri wrote: View Post
Also, will crafted items be bound, or can they be posted to the exchange in the new system?
Afaik, they can be given to other players or sold on the exchange.
Old June 26 2014, 04:34 PM   #4704
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

So, taking intrinsical's advice, I'm becoming used to my ship controls as well as my controls on ground missions. (As a ship commander advances, this is really important).

For space missions and combat:
I've noticed that some Heavy Romulan Warbirds love to use those annoying cloaked tractor beams, so my science officer (Vulcan, of course) has learned a nifty tractor beam inhibitor which I use frequently when I come up against those buggers.

I also have equipped (thanks to my science officer's skill) a nifty sensor scrambler....among certain other scramblers or 'debuffs' that my own character has learned and is added to the ship's stats.

Right now, I'm trying out an aft mine launcher, which was used on me a few missions back by the Hirogen (?)

After going through all the ships I have, it seems like the long range science vessal suits me. It turns and moves fluidly, and it's quick thanks to my new warp core, character and console additions.

I'd decided to change up to my Ambassador-class - the U.S.S. Nyota Uhura - for a mission, but then I noticed something wasn't quite right. So, I returned to my soon-to-be modified Intrepid-class vessel, the U.S.S. Bessie Coleman.

It just puts one of my engineering officers out of a station because - since it's a science vessel - it adds one more science station in lieu of an engineering or tactical station. Hence, when I get my next ship during my next promotion, I'll be looking at: Number of stations, number of consoles, and slots for weapons.

Note: My heavy cruiser was a close second in the decision between it and my science vessel, but it only has a science station up to Lieutenant rank, and the learned abilities for my science officer - my bridge officer, not my actual character - is ranked around Lt. Cmdr.

(I'm still debating on whether or not I should discharge one of my engineering officers, but both of them are cool on ground missions: One is able to create a turret gun and the other creates a nice shield for when I come up against a group of enemies).

And that brings me to...

Ground Missions:
Since my character is science based she (yes, I'm playing a 'she') has a science kit. This new kit, based on my rank of Captain, allows me to have three (?) research additions and 1 medical addition for ground missions.

I have cool personal attacks like scrambling sensors, 'caging' certain foes, or creating a perimeter of fire (which sends a group of enemies running like crazy while my officers take them down. It was awesome seeing the Hirogen - the great hunters - being taken down so easily.

On a separate note, I'm trying to figure out which duty officers to put on active duty to give my ship more boost. And, I'm still trying to figure out the best ship console additions.

(*sigh* Such an addictive game).
Old June 28 2014, 02:36 AM   #4705
intrinsical
Commodore

Do you know you can change your bridge officer's skills to whatever (almost) you want? So if you want an engineering officer that can create a turret AND shield, you can. Just look for the skill trainer in Earth Space Dock. Granted, he is a little hard to find since his office is tucked away under Admiral Quinn's office.

On the ground, science kits are either focused on healing or buffs and offensive. For an offensive science kit, try slotting Electro-Gravitic Field and Exothermic Induction Field. The first roots and slows all opponents in an area, the second sets them on fire. They'll try to run but becuase they are rooted and slowed, they can't easily escape. Its a nasty combo.

In space, the staple skill that just about everyone uses is Tactical Team (TT). I usually keep two copies of TT running. Be sure to have some shield heals (Science Team, Emergency Power to Shields and Transfer Shield Strength) as well as some hull heals (Engineering Team, Auxiliary to SIF and Hazard Emitters). And as you approach level 50, you will find that you are often facing multiple opponents at once. That is when area attacks like Beam Fire At Will, Torpedo Spread and Cannon Scatter Volley become very useful.
Old June 29 2014, 06:25 PM   #4706
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Do you know you can change your bridge officer's skills to whatever (almost) you want? So if you want an engineering officer that can create a turret AND shield, you can. Just look for the skill trainer in Earth Space Dock. Granted, he is a little hard to find since his office is tucked away under Admiral Quinn's office.

On the ground, science kits are either focused on healing or buffs and offensive. For an offensive science kit, try slotting Electro-Gravitic Field and Exothermic Induction Field. The first roots and slows all opponents in an area, the second sets them on fire. They'll try to run but becuase they are rooted and slowed, they can't easily escape. Its a nasty combo.

In space, the staple skill that just about everyone uses is Tactical Team (TT). I usually keep two copies of TT running. Be sure to have some shield heals (Science Team, Emergency Power to Shields and Transfer Shield Strength) as well as some hull heals (Engineering Team, Auxiliary to SIF and Hazard Emitters). And as you approach level 50, you will find that you are often facing multiple opponents at once. That is when area attacks like Beam Fire At Will, Torpedo Spread and Cannon Scatter Volley become very useful.
Yeah, I think I retrained one of my bridge officers (for shipboard duties) for hull repair and emergency shields, since I lost one of the engineering stations after settling on the Intrepid-class vessel. I'll see if I can do that for my away team as well.

I've just now been promoted to Rear-Admiral, so I'm looking at the Sovereign-class and Luna-class. And, judging from the needs of the science station - one more shield heal in addition to my engineering shield heal and shield batteries, as well as my tractor beam suppressant and sensor scramble - I may just go with the Luna-class.

I'm going to try out some of your suggestions, specifically the Tactical Team. (And, now that I think about it, I've rarely used tactical skills in space up until now - the only ones I have used infrequently are 'Beam Overload' and 'High Yield Torpedo').

As probably aforementioned, I have the Nimbus III frigate add-on that I use every now and then. I've also recently got some scorpion fighters which helped somewhat in space battles; the Remans or Hirogen I used them on stopped them with cloaked tractor beams. However, I also have another addition I really like using: Photonic Starships. (Which is interesting since they're 'holograms' and they do actual damage, but as long as they're on my side I'm going with it! )
Old July 7 2014, 08:15 PM   #4707
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Excellent Dev Blog on the new Uniform code with the free release of the Odyssey uniforms and the updates to the fleet unlocks.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/new...detail/6003273
Old July 7 2014, 08:33 PM   #4708
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
Excellent Dev Blog on the new Uniform code with the free release of the Odyssey uniforms and the updates to the fleet unlocks.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/new...detail/6003273
Those look really nice
Old July 7 2014, 10:24 PM   #4709
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

So, my first character - Mei Ling - has reached Admiral. It was interesting going back to the cruiser, and finding the turn rate sooooo slow. (Especially in the PvE with the Klingons; it took me the entire length of the match to get just 'two' Klingon ships....even with my attack power set to 100 and using antiproton beam and transphasic torpedo!) Hence, I am now back in my Recon Science Vessel, and I'm considering going back to my Long Range Sci Vessel.

I just created another character - Tactical - Lt. Jeremiah Curtis. And, it's interesting dealing with the turn rate and slow speed (for now) with the Lt. Cruiser. (Note: I didn't realize at the start one was able to select either Tactical, Science, or Engineering!)

Based on time, I am considering a third....maybe fourth character. I am considering an Andorian Engineering officer (male or female)....a Trill (definitely female, based on my fandom for Jadzia Dax) or a Romulan (male or female).

So, far....my favorite sequence is the 'taking back of DS9' as you're walking outside the station....and taking out the Jem'Hadar who have overtook said station. And, the eventually space battle when you're fighting with other ships.
Old July 12 2014, 07:48 AM   #4710
intrinsical
Commodore

Congratulations on the promotion to Admiral. Have you been going around yelling at everyone, "That's a stupid question!" then watch with glee as they squirm and flee in terror?