Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 27 2014, 06:23 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Speculations on Star Trek 3?

Captrek wrote: View Post
It wasn't trying to be faithful to Roddenberry's vision (or Berman and Braga's), if that's what you're asking.
I'd say it wasn't trying to be faithful to Roddenberry's vision circa 1987. But I think it was pretty faithful to his vision circa 1966.
Old June 27 2014, 06:25 PM   #77
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post
It wasn't trying to be faithful to Roddenberry's vision (or Berman and Braga's), if that's what you're asking.
I'd say it wasn't trying to be faithful to Roddenberry's vision circa 1987. But I think it was pretty faithful to his vision circa 1966.
Agreed.
Old June 27 2014, 06:28 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post

A character named Captain Kirk who is significantly different than the character previously seen, Check.
Who is ten years younger than when we see his prime universe counterpart. Check.

A character named Spock who make little attempt to control his emotions and who is openly engaging in a sexual affair with a junior officer. Check.
Who is also younger than his prime universe counterpart. Check. Who also, apparently, had a fling with a human woman in the late-2250's. Check. Who also was a bit more open with his emotions when he was younger. Check.

You were saying?
Old June 27 2014, 06:44 PM   #79
Captrek
Rear Admiral

A character named Captain Kirk who is significantly different than the character previously seen, Check.
Who is ten years younger than when we see his prime universe counterpart. Check.
And who has lived a very different life. Kind of a Picard/Shinzon thing, though much less extreme.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 06:57 PM   #80
Smellmet
Captain

And who has lived a very different life. Kind of a Picard/Shinzon thing, though much less extreme.
Nail on the head. Regardless of it's sci fi trappings, TOS always had am old-school hero adventure thing going on as well, and that was always an important part of the series, it was colorful and a bit mad in parts, for me, despite it's faults with some of the writing in the 2 movies, I think JJ Trek has captured that side of it perfectly. The movies have a slight screwbally energy to them that captures TOS in ways I didn't think they would.

Yes they are big-budget action movies, but I see that as the icing on the cake rather than a shame. We've had tons of slow, talky outings, I've secretly always wanted to see Trek given this treatment, even if it is just for a few movies.

Old Trek was on it's arse, it was time for something new for a while, and this comes from an absolutely massive fan of The Motion Picture for crying out loud!

It's breathed new life into an ailing franchise - I know loads of people who have never watched a second of Trek who havd loved the new movies - surely that's a good thing? We can't all stay in this little gang getting old on our own can we?
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 07:00 PM   #81
ralph
Captain

I understood that, Kirk and cia will find something hostile in deep space. What does this mean? Will they be alone in space? Will they be in Federation frontier, without other resource, station or ships?

They could create CGI new alien/creatures more powerful, you had already seen.

Then, in this case, Orci could be inclined to think in another alien, not Klingons, not Romulans. How about Gorns?
I Like Gorns. They are hostile, powerful, faster, and totally against Federation and humans.

But McCoy in STID said something about delivering some gorns babies. It sounded rather strange.
Old June 27 2014, 07:04 PM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

ralph wrote: View Post

But McCoy in STID said something about delivering some gorns babies. It sounded rather strange.
A nod to Star Trek: The Video Game.
Old June 27 2014, 08:01 PM   #83
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Never played, very likely never will, but I will always be grateful for it as it gave us the wonderful Shat vs. Classic Gorn commercial.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 08:10 PM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

Ovation wrote: View Post

Never played, very likely never will, but I will always be grateful for it as it gave us the wonderful Shat vs. Classic Gorn commercial.
It's worth a try if you can get it real cheap. Just don't pay sixty bucks for it like I did!

Old June 27 2014, 08:17 PM   #85
Franklin
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Let's see ...

Captain Kirk? check.
Mister Spock? check.
A ship called Enterprise? check.
Let's see ...

A character named Spock who make little attempt to control his emotions and who is openly engaging in a sexual affair with a junior officer. Check.

A ship called Enterprise. Check.

I don't even think Kirk is that particularly different than TOS Kirk in basic traits, just how they're emphasized and how fast they are developed is different. Both Kirk's are cock-sure of themselves. Both like to charm the ladies. Both are incredibly intelligent and fast thinking. Both have a personal moral compass that drives them. Both can chafe at authority. Both are brave. Both can be glib. Both are leaders, though one is more well-formed than the other because he's ten years older. Both rush in where angels fear to tread. Both are physical and won't duck a fight. There are probably even more comparisons that are apt, but that's enough.

I think the writers said they were most scared writing for Kirk, but captured his essence and at least made me believe that was Jim Kirk and he was doing what any Jim Kirk would've done living in the same circumstances.

As far as Spock goes, his planet of six billion people was destroyed in ST09, and he controlled his emotions very well until Kirk finally pulled them out of him. Remember, it's Kirk himself in TWOK who said that of all the souls he encountered, Spock's was the most human. And as far as his other outbursts go, they're well within the parameters of Spock Prime, especially the young Spock. (Once more, with feeling, "The women!") In TUC, Spock was so disgusted with Valeris at the end that he essentially mind-raped her. That wasn't being in very good control of his emotions, either.

About the Spock and Uhura relationship, at least on screen, we have no idea if it's gotten as far sex, especially while they were at the academy.

Edited to add: Never saw that commercial. Hilarious!
Old June 27 2014, 08:49 PM   #86
Smellmet
Captain

And he smacked the phaser out of her hand with quite a lot of force, he seemed mega pissed then!
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 12:57 PM   #87
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

No rerouting of the phaser banks main plasma conduits through the power couplings of the shield emitters. Check.
No reversing of the polarity of anything. Check.
No bombardment of the USS Vengeance EPS manifolds with anti-tachnyon radiation. Check.
No alignment of phase inducers with the computer matrices of the universal translator. Check.
No rotating shield frequencies at 6 ms intervals. Check.
No chroniton flux outside of normal parameters. Check.

Not Star Trek.

To everyone who claims STID is Star Trek, admit that in real Star Trek the Vengeance would have been defeated in a couple of minutes after a clever application of a combination of those, and the Enterprise and San Francisco would have been unscathed.
Old June 28 2014, 12:59 PM   #88
BillJ
Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
No rerouting of the phaser banks main plasma conduits through the power couplings of the shield emitters. Check.
No reversing of the polarity of anything. Check.
No bombardment of the USS Vengeance EPS manifolds with anti-tachnyon radiation. Check.
No alignment of phase inducers with the computer matrices of the universal translator. Check.
No rotating shield frequencies at 6 ms intervals. Check.
No chroniton flux outside of normal parameters. Check.

Not Star Trek.

To everyone who claims STID is Star Trek, admit that in real Star Trek the Vengeance would have been defeated in a couple of minutes after a clever application of a combination of those, and the Enterprise and San Francisco would have been unscathed.
And the majority of us would've been asleep!
Old June 28 2014, 01:08 PM   #89
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

And the majority of us would've been asleep!
Yeah, and what will I use to put me sleep now? I'll have to go back to counting sheep. You know that's the dictionary definition of torture.

Unless... Oh my god... Sheep with polarized tricyclic parabolic deflector dishes on their heads...
Old June 28 2014, 02:00 PM   #90
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
...To everyone who claims STID is Star Trek, admit that in real Star Trek...
I really wish we could desist from using the phrase "real Star Trek".