Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 27 2014, 05:48 PM   #31
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Could the Fed have renegotiated the Treaty of Algeron...

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
It's a shame that we have no canon look into the the Prime timeline 2380-2387, then Hobus Nova onward...

Hell, they could have made a 7 season show about Riker and the Titan with the Hobus Nova going off in the series finale.
That'd be a better series pilot, with a whole new ship and crew dealing with the fall out of the nova and the collapse of one of the major powers of the galaxy.
Ooh. Your idea is better. It could be quite the political thrller...
Old June 27 2014, 06:09 PM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
We waited 4 years between ST09 and STID. We could've had 4 seasons of a new show during that time
Big reason I favor a TV series over a movie series.

More content.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 07:08 PM   #33
tavor
Ensign

if the romulans only allowed the fed 1 cloaking device under the treaty ,whats the story with all the cloaked mines laid by the defiant to blockade the wormhole
tavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 09:53 PM   #34
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

tavor wrote: View Post
if the romulans only allowed the fed 1 cloaking device under the treaty ,whats the story with all the cloaked mines laid by the defiant to blockade the wormhole
It may indeed have been a violation of the Treaty (or possibly a bending of it). Another possible violation was the cloaked Federation holoship in Insurrection.
Old June 28 2014, 08:26 AM   #35
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
It may indeed have been a violation of the Treaty (or possibly a bending of it). Another possible violation was the cloaked Federation holoship in Insurrection.
I forgot all about the cloaked holoship and the mines. Makes me wonder if the Feds rules with cloaked tech is to not employ them on starships. However, I keep coming back to how lax the Romulans were with the cloaking device they loaned for the Defiant. Makes me think the Romulans don't really care, and only threaten retaliation as a way to intimidate the Federation.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 10:05 AM   #36
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I forgot all about the cloaked holoship and the mines. Makes me wonder if the Feds rules with cloaked tech is to not employ them on starships.
In TNG's "The Pegasus," it was stated that per the Treaty, the Federation agreed not to develop cloaking technology at all. But there are at least five instances in which the Federation did utilize cloaks (the Starship Pegasus, the aforementioned holoship, the concealment suits in Insurrection, and the "duck blinds" on both the Ba'ku planet & Mintaka III).
However, I keep coming back to how lax the Romulans were with the cloaking device they loaned for the Defiant. Makes me think the Romulans don't really care, and only threaten retaliation as a way to intimidate the Federation.
I think the Romulans knew every single thing the Defiant did and everywhere it went (cloaked or uncloaked)--either through information willingly volunteered by the Federation per their agreement, or covertly by the Romulans' Tal Shiar. I also think that after the Dominion War ended, the Defiant's cloak was uninstalled and returned.

The Romulans may not know about the Pegasus, the holoship on Ba'ku, and the use of cloaks for the various duck blinds...but the Federation might argue that (with the exception of the Pegasus) those were more instances of holographic technology than true cloaks. Holograms may be easily detectable via sensors while cloaks aren't.
Old June 28 2014, 04:37 PM   #37
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
Ooh. Your idea is better. It could be quite the political thrller...
You could get into some right gritty, meaty stories, from dealing with refugees, the collapse of the political structure and the power vacuum it caused, different sides vying to fill it (from hardline military officers, to a Tal Shiar operative with their own agenda, a pro-UFP group with ties to Spocks former movement, isolationists wanting to cut off all outside interference, the bastard bloodline of a former Emperor), plus Klingons rattling sabres and looking to take advantage of the turmoil, etc.
Old June 28 2014, 09:04 PM   #38
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Star Trek: Game of Thrones.

While a political Star Trek series wouldn't be my first choice, my objection to such would be having a show depicting how lovely and sweet a stale utopian Federation is.

A show about a continually contentious Federation membership who didn't really like each other, but stayed together owing to the barbarians at the gate, would be interesting.

And might have a easier time getting on the air.

Last edited by T'Girl; June 28 2014 at 09:17 PM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote