Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2014, 07:41 AM   #256
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Re: New live action "Turtles"?

Aldo wrote: View Post
I'm really conflicted about this now. On one hand, yes it does look silly (and I'm still not sold on the Turtles' noses). But on the other hand it looks fun and seems to have a bit of the spark that makes the Turtles so fun.

Dammit...I'm probably going to see this in theaters.
That's kind of how i feel.. i miss the cartoony look of the original movies.

However there was one scene in the new trailer that had me laughing quite a bit.. when April takes a picture of the high fiving Turtles on the rooftop and the flash goes off.

They stop in the middle of the high five and wonder what this was.. that was a true Turtle moment

It sure looks like a Bay movie and for Turtles that may not be bad necessarily. If they kept the old style Turtles i would be excited for it, as it stands i'm interested and may see it at the theater if an opportunity presents itself and some of my friends want to see it too.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 08:01 AM   #257
Ethros
Vice Admiral

The thing is with them CGI and therefore costing a lot of money by simply just being on screen, I presume (especially with Bay's name attached) to expect a load of highly annoying wacky human characters talking shit, acting "ker-azy", and other lame hijinx just like the Transformers movies.
Can't wait for that...

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked dreadful. But then I suppose how do you really not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live action movie not look pretty stupid? Definitely fair enough that it's not an easy challenge.

Any chance of a Vanilla Ice cameo?

Haha, looking at that it's hard to believe it was even a real film. I remember seeing that at the movies for my 7th birthday with a few friends. Obviously at that age we loved it, but my poor mother who had to take us all and sit with us... she must have been thinking "wtf is this shit" for its entirety
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 08:23 AM   #258
Aldo
Admiral

Turtles 2 still holds up pretty well for me. Sure the Vanilla Ice sequence is a bit silly, but there's still some pretty cool fights if you're into that sort of thing.
Old June 25 2014, 08:48 AM   #259
Myko
Captain

They took down the video I originally linked and uploaded one with better quality audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwXFsrp6WBs
Old June 25 2014, 06:43 PM   #260
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Looks like they're harkening back to the original movies with the camp, but problem is they're also trying to make this sort of 'dark', and I don't know if it's working. Also, dare I say it, it looks like Bay is spoofing himself with this movie.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 06:52 PM   #261
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Jonathan Liebesman is the forgotten man on this film.
Old June 25 2014, 07:33 PM   #262
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Jonathan Liebesman is the forgotten man on this film.
That name rings a bell...is he the head gaffer on this film?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 08:48 PM   #263
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I'm surprised how many people are saying that this looks like silly fun. It's so dark and gritty. I can't equate dark and gritty with silly and fun. It needs a lighter tone and brighter colours if that's the approach it's going for.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 09:32 PM   #264
Awesome Possum
I've Been Rebooted

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

They actually seem to act like the Turtles I grew up with and the tone seems decent. I think I'll have to go see this.
Old June 25 2014, 09:34 PM   #265
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ Your avatar has me thinking... Jewel Staite might have made a good April O'Neil.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 09:40 PM   #266
Awesome Possum
I've Been Rebooted

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ Your avatar has me thinking... Jewel Staite might have made a good April O'Neil.
I would have already bought a ticket if she had.
Old June 25 2014, 11:14 PM   #267
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Looks like they're harkening back to the original movies with the camp, but problem is they're also trying to make this sort of 'dark', and I don't know if it's working. Also, dare I say it, it looks like Bay is spoofing himself with this movie.
I don't think "dark" is the right word. The original Turtles movie could be quite serious at parts as well. What they're trying to do is make it "bigger," imo. The first movie had relatively low stakes. This movie seems to want to have the fate of the world hanging in the balance.
Old June 25 2014, 11:37 PM   #268
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I'm surprised how many people are saying that this looks like silly fun. It's so dark and gritty. I can't equate dark and gritty with silly and fun. It needs a lighter tone and brighter colours if that's the approach it's going for.
I think you need to reassess your definition of what is 'dark and gritty', because there's very little about what we've seen that conveys grittiness or darkness in terms of the film's tone.

A visual palette that is shadowy and subdued does not equal grittiness and darkness by any means.
Old June 26 2014, 02:03 AM   #269
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I don't think "dark" is the right word. The original Turtles movie could be quite serious at parts as well. What they're trying to do is make it "bigger," imo. The first movie had relatively low stakes. This movie seems to want to have the fate of the world hanging in the balance.
The original movie was pretty darn dark, at least compared to the cartoon series which was pretty much the one main exposure most of the audience had to the Turtles at that time.

I;m still not 100% sold on this movie and I can't say this trailer is helping matters it just seems like so much excess. I mean, I'll see it, I'll give it a chance but really seems like way, way too much. I'll take the turtles with their more elaborate costumes/gear (though it reeks of Bay excess) but I still don't see the need to have made them 7-8 feet tall needing to make Shredder even taller to make him an imposing villain. And, I dunno the look of the Turtles as they talk and especially that one of Donnie yelling is just.... Ugh.

This movie, I'm afraid, is going to be a mess.
Old June 26 2014, 02:06 AM   #270
Aldo
Admiral

You're right, the first movie was dark. But it also had a sense of fun to it, something which this trailer appears to have as well. I'm still not sold on their size though: creatures with brute strength don't seem to need to be Ninja's as well, that part just doesn't make sense to me.

And yes, I can't disagree, it is excess, but the personalities of the Turtles seem spot on and that almost makes up for the excess....almost.