Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 24 2014, 06:53 AM   #31
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau
Re: Best of Bantam?

Just a slight deviation here, but has anybody read the Gold Key comics? Great storylines, but I eventually got sick of *every single sentence* ending in an exclamation point. Even Spock's sentences.

I also agree that the Phoenix novels were confusing.

I enjoyed Spock Must Die.

The most memorable line from Galactic Whirlpool(I THINK it was that book) was Riley saying, "I'll bring you home again, Katholin."
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 03:12 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
Just a slight deviation here, but has anybody read the Gold Key comics? Great storylines, but I eventually got sick of *every single sentence* ending in an exclamation point. Even Spock's sentences.
That was a consequence of early comic-book printing. The resolution was low enough that periods weren't always visible, so comic-book writers had to use exclamation points most of the time. This was industry-wide, not just Gold Key.

An amusing side effect of this habit was that once in the '70s, DC writer Elliott S. Maggin unthinkingly wrote his name on a form as Elliott S! Maggin, since he was so much in the habit of substituting exclamation points for periods -- and once his editor saw that (I forget whether it was Julius Schwartz or Dennis O'Neill), he dictated that Maggin's name would always be written in the comics as Elliott S! Maggin from then on. And it has been ever since.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 08:01 PM   #33
ClayinCA
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
That was a consequence of early comic-book printing. The resolution was low enough that periods weren't always visible, so comic-book writers had to use exclamation points most of the time. This was industry-wide, not just Gold Key.

An amusing side effect of this habit was that once in the '70s, DC writer Elliott S. Maggin unthinkingly wrote his name on a form as Elliott S! Maggin, since he was so much in the habit of substituting exclamation points for periods -- and once his editor saw that (I forget whether it was Julius Schwartz or Dennis O'Neill), he dictated that Maggin's name would always be written in the comics as Elliott S! Maggin from then on. And it has been ever since.
Ha! Maggin's one of my very favorite Superman writers (his two Superman paperback novels are wonderful), and I'd always wondered how that "S!" came about. Thanks, Christopher.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 08:56 PM   #34
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Those Superman novels are really good. I've read them a couple of times and I still have them. I want to read them again someday when I catch up on my new books.
Old June 30 2014, 08:57 PM   #35
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

According to danhausser's site, "Mission To Horatius" is considered a Bantam book, so I would have to nominate Horatius as the Best of the Bantam era. I've read up to "New Voyages 2 (in terms of publishing order), and I found "Price Of The Phoenix" to have been the worst of the lot. It was a snore-bore that barely moved. If I was giving it a rating out of 10, I would have to give it a -10 out of 10.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 09:15 PM   #36
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I've got a stack of Batnams I'm about to start reading, starting with Spock, Messiah in the next day or two.
I have the Phoenix novels too, so I hope I like them better than some people. I think the Kirk/Spock slash in the books will keep me reading
Old July 1 2014, 12:05 AM   #37
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
According to danhausser's site, "Mission To Horatius" is considered a Bantam book...
Huh? Well, he could hardly put it in a timeline of one book. It's a Whitman book (and the celebratory reprint a Pocket book), definitely not a Bantam, so at best it fits with Danhauser's statement that it is one of "the classic STAR TREK novels" which "were only seventeen in number".

borgboy wrote: View Post
I have the Phoenix novels too, so I hope I like them better than some people.
I read 'em in reverse order, and it didn't seem to matter, nor that I'd not yet seen "The Enterprise Incident".

Remember the scene in the episode where the Romulan Commander swings around in her chair to reveal she is... a female? Not long after ST II came out, a Saavik-besotted friend was desperate to see "The Enterprise Incident" and I finally had it on video, so she watched it, knowing that rampant fan rumors of the day abounded that the Commander and Spock were (possibly) Saavik's parents. And then the Commander swung around in her captain's chair, just as Saavik had done at the beginning of ST II.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 12:20 AM   #38
Christopher
Writer

According to danhausser's site, "Mission To Horatius" is considered a Bantam book...
That's not true. The site is named "Guide to the Early STAR TREK Novels," not "Guide to the Bantam STAR TREK Novels." And the entry for Mission to Horatius explicitly says "Published in 1968 by Whitman Books," while all the others listed on the page say "Published in [date] by Bantam Books." And at the bottom of the page is a copyright disclaimer reading in part, "The above mentioned books were published by Bantam Books, and by the Whitman Publishing Division of Western Publishing Company, Inc."

Granted, the home page does have a sentence saying "This site is a guide to those early STAR TREK novels published by Bantam Books," but that's probably an uncorrected bit of text from the early edition of the site before MtH was reprinted by Pocket, or maybe just an error. Everything else on the site makes it quite clear that MtH was a Whitman book, not a Bantam book.

Old July 1 2014, 01:15 AM   #39
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Huh? Well, he could hardly put it in a timeline of one book. It's a Whitman book (and the celebratory reprint a Pocket book), definitely not a Bantam, so at best it fits with Danhauser's statement that it is one of "the classic STAR TREK novels" which "were only seventeen in number".

I have the Phoenix novels too, so I hope I like them better than some people.
I read 'em in reverse order, and it didn't seem to matter, nor that I'd not yet seen "The Enterprise Incident".

Remember the scene in the episode where the Romulan Commander swings around in her chair to reveal she is... a female? Not long after ST II came out, a Saavik-besotted friend was desperate to see "The Enterprise Incident" and I finally had it on video, so she watched it, knowing that rampant fan rumors of the day abounded that the Commander and Spock were (possibly) Saavik's parents. And then the Commander swung around in her captain's chair, just as Saavik had done at the beginning of ST II.
That is neat, the chair swinging thing. I had never heard that rumor, but that's a good one. I'd still love it if we found out the Commander was her mother. Maybe conceived with her egg but carried by a surrogate in the breeding camp.

It's kind of icky to think about Spock being her father possibly, since they married in Vulcan's Heart. Back in the day though, I can definitely see how that possibility made sense, and I wouldn't have minded if that had been the cast in STII.
Old July 3 2014, 01:28 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

I think it would have been cool if Saavik was Spock's daughter. It's always kind of amazed me that out of all of the major TOS characters, the only two who had kids were Sulu and McCoy.
Old July 3 2014, 01:32 AM   #41
borgboy
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
It's always kind of amazed me that out of all of the major TOS characters, the only two who had kids were Sulu and McCoy.
Well, and Kirk.
Spock had a son Zar in A.C. Crispin's Yesterday's Son.
Old July 3 2014, 02:11 PM   #42
dstyer
Lieutenant

JD wrote: View Post
It's always kind of amazed me that out of all of the major TOS characters, the only two who had kids were Sulu and McCoy.
Well, and Kirk.
Spock had a son Zar in A.C. Crispin's Yesterday's Son.
Umm . . . David Marcus, anyone?
dstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2014, 05:13 PM   #43
Gate11au
Ensign

I must say i like Vulcan! and Death's Angel i know they were Mary sue but still... like them as for the Phoenix novels i must have just ignored the K/S ship stuff as i do when ever i come across it as i just can not see those two in that way.

But i like all star trek books i have only found one book i could not get thro from trek and that was from pocket books and i have most of the bantam novels as they were on sale here some years ago for $5 each so i say read the start of them if you like keep going if not stop
Gate11au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 06:11 PM   #44
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

That is neat, the chair swinging thing. I had never heard that rumor, but that's a good one. I'd still love it if we found out the Commander was her mother. Maybe conceived with her egg but carried by a surrogate in the breeding camp.
It is an interesting idea. I don't think it holds-up in view of the timeline involved, though. The Enterprise Incident occurs in 2269, and TWoK circa 2285. this makes Saavik 16 years old at best. A bit young to be graduating from Starfleet Academy, I think.

Also it treads too dangerously close to the "small universe syndrome" for my tastes, where everyone and everything have to be related and/or connected.
Old July 4 2014, 06:27 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

And of course since Saavik evidently "helped" the regenerating Spock through pon farr in TSFS, it would be incredibly creepy and incestuous if she were his daughter. So I really, really don't think the filmmakers had anything remotely like that in mind.