Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 20 2014, 12:22 PM   #61
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Re: why did the V'ger probe take Ilia?

martok2112 wrote: View Post
Actually, he had one of two button choices: CLOTHES and CLOTHES ENOUGH

(Guess what he picked in a hurry?)
Or the two buttons were clothes on, and clothes off. I still don't think Kirk selected Ilia's outfit, he was just putting something on her (it?).

I'm not sure where the robe actually came from, some kind of early replicator? It's possible that Kirk could not have put a duty uniform on her if he wished to, the mechanism (whatever it was) simply couldn't have done that, some type of robe was it.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 02:19 PM   #62
Christopher
Writer

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I'm not sure where the robe actually came from, some kind of early replicator?
Yes, that was the idea -- that transporter technology could allow clothing to be fabricated at will directly onto the body. In The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, there's a chapter called "Spray-and-Wear Clothing" that begins with a discussion of this bit of futurism (before segueing into a discussion of the more conventional methods the film's costuming staff needed to use). A bit of futurism that later productions abandoned.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 05:28 PM   #63
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Persis Khambatta was made to have her head shaved bald, which there are movies of this on YouTube, showing her crying - OK? - CRYING because her beauty was being compromised, DESPITE the fact that she had the face that was up to doing all the "work" as far as her beauty went AND despite the fact that, rest assured, hair does, indeed grow back. But she cried and her tears weren't about to accept that having her hair shaved off wasn't a traumatic experience.
This does cause me to wonder: had they made a TV series with Ilia as a character would they have just made do with bald wigs, or would Khambatta (or whoever did play her) have to put up with being bald for the show's whole 13-episode run?

I suppose they might've given up on making Deltan women bald, although it is a visually very striking thing, and as a costume-cheap way to convey humanoid alien-ness probably better than the Forehead Bump Brigade.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 10:51 PM   #64
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Nebusj wrote: View Post
I suppose they might've given up on making Deltan women bald, although it is a visually very striking thing, and as a costume-cheap way to convey humanoid alien-ness probably better than the Forehead Bump Brigade.
Yes.

"Forehead Bump Brigade"?!?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 12:14 AM   #65
Shat Happens
Captain

I too support for "Forehead Bump Brigade" (aka FBB) to enter ST jargon
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 02:00 AM   #66
martok2112
Captain

According to the novelization of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, one of the science team members on Regula I was a Deltan....but I didn't see any baldies in the movie version.

Perhaps it is possible too that Deltans actually can have hair...but perhaps baldness is considered to be some form of higher beauty, or fashion statement...more of an aesthetic, rather than a result of hair loss. In other words, kinda like how some folks shouldn't wear certain styles of clothing because it just doesn't fit their body shape.

So...let's put it like this:
Whom would you rather see bald on screen in terms of aesthetics?
Persis Khambatta....or Melissa McCarthy?

Whom would you rather see wearing a Federation female bathrobe on screen?
Persis Khambatta....or Melissa McCarthy?

Well, I for one will take Persis Khambatta on both counts. (This is not a slam against Melissa McCarthy's acting ability or personality. From what I've seen, McCarthy is quite the actress, especially in the comedic realm...and as a person, I don't know what she's like. This is strictly visual.)
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 08:19 AM   #67
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Deltans were supposed to be hairless (except eyebrows/lashes). It's stated so in a number of behind-the-scenes documents from Phase 2 and TMP.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 08:48 AM   #68
martok2112
Captain

Alrighty. So then it's another difference in the movie and the movie tie-in novelization of Wrath of Khan.

1. Saavik is Vulcan in the movie....Romulan/Vulcan in the novel.
2. There are no Deltans on Regula I in the movie...There is a Deltan in the novel.
Old June 21 2014, 12:51 PM   #69
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Saavik is Vulcan in the movie....
Show me a scene or a screenplay passage where it says so, and I won't call this a conjectural assumption.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 01:13 PM   #70
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Having a bald, humanoid alien is an interesting idea and visual, but not too many actresses are going to want to sport it, though. It's either a skull cap so tight you'll get migraines, or getting your head shaved. So, it's kind of unfortunate, the reality that has to factor in with something like that. CGI could be a help here, but I don't see the expense being justified for it. In short, Deltans, just by their being folically impaired, weren't going to be the kind of alien that was ever going to get shown hardly, if at all. And that's a shame, because Persis Khambatta certainly left her mark.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 02:15 PM   #71
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Show me a scene or a screenplay passage where it says so, and I won't call this a conjectural assumption.

Bob
I think the preponderance of evidence in the actual film points to her being a Vulcan.
Old June 21 2014, 02:53 PM   #72
Shat Happens
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Bob
I think the preponderance of evidence in the actual film points to her being a Vulcan.
NO SHIT SHE'S VULCAN? And all these years I was thinking he was an Albino Orion Green girl (or a shapeshifter since she had another face in STIII )
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 04:45 PM   #73
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Back to the original topic, I think V'Ger chose Ilia because he knew she was the most sensual of the bridge crew and sensuality was the one thing that placed carbon units beyond his comprehension. He took her to learn.
Old June 21 2014, 05:46 PM   #74
martok2112
Captain

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Back to the original topic, I think V'Ger chose Ilia because he knew she was the most sensual of the bridge crew and sensuality was the one thing that placed carbon units beyond his comprehension. He took her to learn.
An interesting point. Also, being that it was a machine of pure logic, as Spock had sensed, it could not sense that Spock was innately aware of the very simple feelings it lacked, and could not compute or fathom....an awareness that would dawn on Spock later. Feelings of unity, brotherhood, communion, companionship...all expressed in the clasping of hands as Spock explained his epiphany to Kirk...these things, V'ger apparebtly could not detect in Spock.

Basically, V'ger may simply have viewed Spock as too much like itself...at least at face value, so it did not need Spock. The humans? Well, they were largely uninteresting, confused, anarchic, and primitive to him. But Ilia? She probably exuded those feelings that were beyond V'ger's comprehension. This made her a curiosity to V'ger. Through her, V'ger found its liason to the corruption that it felt "repressed The Creator".
Old June 21 2014, 05:56 PM   #75
urbandefault
Captain

It's simple, really. V'ger was horny, and Ilia was a hot young Deltan. How was it to know she'd taken a vow of celibacy?