Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 18 2014, 09:26 AM   #61
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Star Trek TNG Reboot coming?

GalaxyX wrote:
I'm sure she got payed for her opinion. I'm sure she wouldn't say anything negative to the hand that feeds her.
Love the character, no respect for the actor?
Old June 21 2014, 05:52 AM   #62
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote:
I'm sure she got payed for her opinion. I'm sure she wouldn't say anything negative to the hand that feeds her.
Love the character, no respect for the actor?
I wouldn't say that. I love the character and understand the actor (actress in this case? ) has to eat.

I don't blame her at all for anything she might say pro-movie. I just don't take it into consideration because the likelihood is that it's a payed advertising courtesy of nuTrek's marketing team.

I remember Walter Koenig praising his role in Generations (even if he looked extremely confused about what to say on camera).

The same for Jonathan Frakes praising Nemesis and Tom Hardy's portrayal of Shinzon.

I can't blame any of them for praising stuff you can tell they don't agree with, they do need to eat.
Old June 21 2014, 06:33 AM   #63
TheSubCommander
Captain

I hate the idea of yet another reboot of a Trek franchise.

See, as I see it, TNG was essentially a recycle of a resurgence of TOS. It did become its own animal, but really, it was in a way, a soft reboot of TOS, using different characters yet similar archetypes, set 78 years later. It respected continuity of TOS, but set far enough in the future to create its own. Well, it was a hit, and 2 spin offs set in the same era, 4 TNG movies, and Enterprise were the result. But geeze, why a reboot of TNG? At least with TOS they waited until 2 cast members died. Theoretically, another TNG movie with the original crew could still be made, if it were desired.

Personally, besides 1-2 more Abramsverse Trek movies (as horrible as I thought STID was, I still think Abrams is 1-1 for the two movies, as Star Trek 2009 kicked ass, and I am still willing to see a Star Trek 3, and hopes he breaks the tie in the favor of awesome) I am all for a new Trek movie or series, or even a mini-series. But there are ONLY two scenarios that interest me, and I would actually like to see BOTH done:

1. a limited miniseries with the intent to properly send off the Enterprise series. Maybe 3-5 2 hour episodes, with the Enterprise NX01 during and shortly after the Earth Romulan war. Basically truncate what good ideas a lot of people wanted to see in an Enterprise season 5 and do it.

2. A completely new Star trek series with new characters and time period. I am thinking late 25th or beyond. Something done like TNG did...respect continuity, but only refer to it as history or legend. Whether its prime universe or abramsverse, I don't care...just set it far enough in the future where it really doesn't matter, and neither do the events from any incarnation of Trek. Maybe go Game of Thrones style, and have a more epic, more serial approach, with multiple stories with multiple sets of characters going on simultaneously in different parts of the galaxy..maybe 1 0r 2 groups on multiple ships, maybe a space station group, maybe a group on Earth, and maybe even another group of a race like Klingons or Romulans could be a focus. Point is, I think Game of Thrones proves you can have a large cast with multiple settings and multiple groups of characters, in which you can jump from one setting to the next, as long as you have one large, unifying plot to tie them all together.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 10:32 AM   #64
captainkirk
Commander

A thought that occurred to me recently, if a TNG reboot ever happens, should Picard be played by a French actor?
Old June 21 2014, 11:23 AM   #65
urbandefault
Captain

captainkirk wrote: View Post
A thought that occurred to me recently, if a TNG reboot ever happens, should Picard be played by a French actor?
Yes.

And Data and Worf should be played by an android and a Klingon. Mot might be harder to cast, since there aren't many Bolians in Hollywood.
Old June 21 2014, 11:31 AM   #66
captainkirk
Commander

Don't the Bolians perform in Las Vegas?
Old June 21 2014, 01:41 PM   #67
Dennis
Commodore

If they do a reboot they ought to address the fact that all the continuing characters were defined in heteronormative terms. We understand better now that this is an unrealistic portrayal of people.
"One day it begins to be borne in on the writer...that he is living in Europe as an American. If he were living there as a European, he would be living on a different and far less attractive continent." - James Baldwin

Dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 01:52 PM   #68
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
If they do a reboot they ought to address the fact that all the continuing characters were defined in heteronormative terms. We understand better now that this is an unrealistic portrayal of people.
I'd be all for that. How do you think it would/should be done? With new LGBT supporting characters, or one of the regular main character from the original series revealed to LGBT?
I always kind of hated how heteronormative Data was in his exploration of humanity, but I guess it makes some sense that he was programmed that way by Soong, who was egocentric enough to want Data to reflect his own personality and sexuality.
Old June 21 2014, 01:58 PM   #69
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

borgboy wrote: View Post
I'd be all for that. How do you think it would/should be done? With new LGBT supporting characters, or one of the regular main character from the original series revealed to LGBT?
Doesn't matter as long as it's a solid character that isn't written in a juvenile manner.

For the record, I always thought Geordi was a robosexual! Explains why he always had trouble with the ladies.
Old June 21 2014, 02:05 PM   #70
borgboy
Fleet Captain

So all that time Geordi spent working on Data was personal? That thought had crossed my mind too.
Old June 21 2014, 02:06 PM   #71
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

So all that time Geordi spent working on Data was personal? That thought had crossed my mind too.
Old June 21 2014, 03:01 PM   #72
Melakon
Vice Admiral

A TNG reboot would have Samuel L. Jackson as Picard. "I've had it with these Borg on my ship!"
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 06:58 AM   #73
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Doesn't matter as long as it's a solid character that isn't written in a juvenile manner.

For the record, I always thought Geordi was a robosexual! Explains why he always had trouble with the ladies.
If (gods forbid) they did go and do a TNG reboot, I had wanted to see a female Data (played by a Summer Glau) with a gay Riker, but now a robsexual Data/Geordi relationship would definitely be worth watching. In the remake of "Naked Now", Data has his moment with Tasha Yar but discovers that the experience was ultimately unfulfilling and decides to explore sexuality in his quest to be human

Melakon wrote: View Post
A TNG reboot would have Samuel L. Jackson as Picard. "I've had it with these Borg on my ship!"
I can't speak for anyone else, but I would LOVE to see that!!!!!
Old June 22 2014, 08:51 PM   #74
Dennis
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post

It ought to be a core member of the existing group. Rebooting means it can be anyone, ala nuBSG. Heck, make it Riker or Data.
"One day it begins to be borne in on the writer...that he is living in Europe as an American. If he were living there as a European, he would be living on a different and far less attractive continent." - James Baldwin

Dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 09:19 PM   #75
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

IMO, making it Data misses the point (assuming he's the only LGBT being in the main crew). It needs to be a flesh-and-blood human being to count as inclusive. I nominate Jean-Luc himself. Data could be pansexual, though. Probably is.