Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 18 2014, 07:09 PM   #586
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Interesting impressions, thanks for sharing!

Hopefully this is not just a consolation effort for DS Niners. Might also be a test to see if there's enough interest for this TNG season from DS Niners.

At least CBS acknowledges that there aren't only TNG fans around they intend to please but DS Niners as well. Hope that's not their first and last effort to do so.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 07:54 PM   #587
benjaminh
Lieutenant

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Reviews for TNG-HD S6 are starting to come out. I found this excerpt particularly interesting

The biggest surprise is that "Lithosphere" spends most of its time discussing Deep Space Nine (which began airing during TNG's sixth season) [...] Obviously DS9's teased (but still unconfirmed) Blu-ray debut eases some of the friction a little, but this really gets the extras off on an unusual start.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/64068...on-season-six/
The way I read this is that the people making the VAM were making a small push for DS9. The brass of CBS had nothing to do with it. And so far it hasn't seemed to have had an effect on them....
benjaminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 08:01 PM   #588
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

benjaminh wrote: View Post
The way I read this is that the people making the VAM were making a small push for DS9. The brass of CBS had nothing to do with it. And so far it hasn't seemed to have had an effect on them....
Far more correct. The VAM content is the brainchild of Robert Meyer Burnett and Roger Lay, Jr. It has virtually nothing to do with CBS.

As I have repeatedly stated, there are currently no plans in place for remastering Deep Space Nine.
Old June 18 2014, 08:14 PM   #589
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to imply that the review (or VAM) gave any credibility to the idea that DS9-HD was happening. When it comes to news about Star Trek HD projects, FrontierTrek and TrekCore are the go-to sources.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 11:01 PM   #590
drmick
Lieutenant

FrontierTrek- are you aware of any information as to whether CBS have considered TNG-R a success or a failure?
drmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 02:08 AM   #591
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

drmick wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek- are you aware of any information as to whether CBS have considered TNG-R a success or a failure?
I'd say since they aren't moving directly to redo DS9, the sales are probably short of what they were hoping for.
Old June 19 2014, 03:16 AM   #592
benjaminh
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'd say since they aren't moving directly to redo DS9, the sales are probably short of what they were hoping for.
Probably. The fragmentary numbers we have seem to show that first season was huuuuge. But then there was a significant drop off....
benjaminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 10:07 AM   #593
drmick
Lieutenant

I wasn't really asking about Blu-Ray sales though, more if it was considered a success in general, which would include syndication deals and the like.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that in general TNG has historically always outsold DS9 by some margin (DVD, VHS, syndication, merchandising etc), and that the ratio or degree of outselling is probably pretty constant, eg. 3:1 or something.

Also I might guess that in terms of DVD and VHS sales, seasons 3-5 might sell better, as more casual fans pick and choose the good episodes?! That probably also applies to viewing figures on TV, even today.
drmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 12:19 PM   #594
BillJ
Admiral

Also I might guess that in terms of DVD and VHS sales, seasons 3-5 might sell better, as more casual fans pick and choose the good episodes?! That probably also applies to viewing figures on TV, even today.
Which wasn't the case for TNG, where it looks like season one outsold the rest (so far) by a large margin.
Old June 21 2014, 01:09 PM   #595
MakeshiftPython
Captain

But are the TNG sales disappointing as of now? We've only seen the first week of sales for each season, we don't know how well they went on later. Then there are factors such as digital media rising in popularity. I think the real question is not whether TNG did well enough to get a DS9 project going, but that if DS9 will do well at all, at least enough to make a profit after remastering the whole series.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 01:14 PM   #596
BillJ
Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
But are the TNG sales disappointing as of now? We've only seen the first week of sales for each season, we don't know how well they went on later. Then there are factors such as digital media rising in popularity. I think the real question is not whether TNG did well enough to get a DS9 project going, but that if DS9 will do well at all, at least enough to make a profit after remastering the whole series.
FrontierTrek kept saying that the remastering of DS9 was solely dependent on TNG disc sales. If that is the case, then we have to work under the assumption that they were disappointing overall.
Old June 21 2014, 01:30 PM   #597
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Man, this sucks. I'm only just now reading all this news about DS9-R most likely not happening. I've been buying the TNG seasons whenever possible (college student with zero security blanket and all) primarily in hopes of fueling a treatment for my favorite show.

Blast...
Old June 21 2014, 01:47 PM   #598
MakeshiftPython
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek kept saying that the remastering of DS9 was solely dependent on TNG disc sales. If that is the case, then we have to work under the assumption that they were disappointing overall.
I hope that's not the case. We'll see, I suppose. At least they're leaving it up in the air than just saying it won't happen.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 02:05 PM   #599
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I'm all for as much good news as possible on this front, I mean, DS9 was my childhood, dammit, but I don't feel like that's much cause to note in a positive light or anything. I can't personally think of a time any semi-competent production company has ever ruled anything like this off the table outright; it's just not good business strategy.
Old June 22 2014, 03:34 AM   #600
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

It's funny. This whole thread sounds like the doom and gloom about TNG never getting the HD treatment after they finished TOS. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I remain fairly optimistic it'll get done eventually.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote