Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 20 2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Steam and GOG.com Summer Sales

Haven't picked up anything yet from Steam. In fact, I'm finding some of the deals rather expensive. Haven't found anything that's appealed to me just yet.

On GOG.com which is also having its own summer sale, I did pick up Jade Empire and Consortium for a paltry sum, both at 80% off.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 11:59 PM   #2
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Steam and GOG.com Summer Sales

I picked up XCOM:EU for a fiver. I've only played the tutorial so far, but I've heard good things.
Old June 21 2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'm keeping an eye on them both, but I plan on being very choosy given that I have a handful of games from the last sale (and the one before that I think) that I've yet to play. Plus, it seems as though the Steam sales aren't quite as good as they used to be. :/
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 12:14 AM   #4
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Well, they had a lot of early acces stuff on sale last winter sale, and that might have been a bad decision...
Old June 21 2014, 12:31 AM   #5
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I picked up XCOM:EU for a fiver. I've only played the tutorial so far, but I've heard good things.
I picked up XCOM as well
Old June 21 2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Plus, it seems as though the Steam sales aren't quite as good as they used to be. :/

Yeah, agreed. The deals definitely don't seem to be as great. It's not the selection, mind you, as I could think of a number of titles I'd want, but rather the prices. I think that some of those sale prices are more along the lines of regular sales rather than summer sale deals. Not exactly fuel for impulse purchases.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 02:04 AM   #7
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Can you guys recommend me some games to watch for on Steam?

I like games that can be played for a long time. I'm talking a couple of months to a year or two. This can be either be due to the game having lots of things to do (Ultima, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Minecraft, MMOs in general) or because there's lots of replayability (Civilization, SimCity, GalCiv, Age of Wonders, Age of Empires). In terms of genre, I'm happy with fantasy and scifi settings but not horror. It can be RPG, strategy or simulation games. FPS games are okay although I tend not to prefer twitch games that involve fast thinking and quick action.
Old June 21 2014, 02:06 AM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

intrinsical wrote: View Post

I like games that can be played for a long time. I'm talking a couple of months to a year or two. This can be either be due to the game having lots of things to do (Ultima, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Minecraft, MMOs in general) or because there's lots of replayability (Civilization, SimCity, GalCiv, Age of Wonders, Age of Empires). In terms of genre, I'm happy with fantasy and scifi settings but not horror. It can be RPG, strategy or simulation games. FPS games are okay although I tend not to prefer twitch games that involve fast thinking and quick action.
Get Dark Souls 2 and Distant Worlds.
Old June 21 2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Jono
Rear Admiral

I don't really have anything I'm after. Though I said that last year and I got half a dozen games in the summer and winter sales.

Even though it was just released I'm hoping Tropico 5 might sneak into a flash sale. If not I'll probably just get it at the end at 25% off.

Have a couple of games on my wishlist that are in early access that I'm holding off until later in their development, but I won't say no to a good deal if it comes up.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I bough the entire wing commander series, and even today they hold up very well, great to be able to play these again, i wish the GOG team could get their hands on all the old Star Trek games.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Jax
Admiral

TWD S2
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 02:43 PM   #12
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

^I'm being patient and waiting until it's entirely out and hopefully then 75% off. I really don't want to have to wait months in between episodes.
Old June 21 2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Reverend
Rear Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post

The Witcher 2 is a *very* substantial RPG and will be on sale at 80% off for the next three hours. As is X-COM: Enemy Unknown, a fantastic turn based strategy game with lots or re-playability (especially with the 'Enemy Within' expansion.) If you're into Minecraft type games then Terraria and Starbound might be worth keeping an eye on.

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
^I'm being patient and waiting until it's entirely out and hopefully then 75% off. I really don't want to have to wait months in between episodes.
That's what I said when it first came out...then it got 50% off in the X-Mas sale and I caved!
I'm sticking to my guns for 'Wolf Among Us' though. That I can wait for.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 06:32 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The Steam site seems to be totally boned right now. Can't buy, can't sell, can't get help. Perfect time for that to happen, Valve...
Old June 21 2014, 06:37 PM   #15
Jono
Rear Admiral

For those who are fans of the original XCOM, Xenonauts finally got released recently. It is apparently far truer to the original XCOM than the recent Enemy Unknown.

It was very recently released so it might not make the sale, but it can't hurt to throw it on your wishlist just in case.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote