Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 17 2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Let's Listen to Star Trek: Season Two!

Hello all! Last August I had the following idea: “Let's all listen to Star Trek TOS episode scores on the anniversaries of the days they were recorded!” Over at Film Score Monthly I started a thread and I posted my comments on the 47th anniversary of each scoring session for season one. (I don't want to wait three years for 50.)

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/boar...ID=1&archive=0

Well, here we are for Season Two.

47 years ago (yesterday) Alexander Courage recorded a new (and probably definitive) version of the series opening and closing credits. I prefer the Fred Steiner season one arrangement, but this is the one that everyone knows with the soprano vocals.

He also recorded a handful of library cues. Wow are these a treasure. Several of them are used for some of the most memorable moments of Star Trek. I can’t hear “Sad and Thoughtful on Captain’s Theme” without hearing Kirk recite the Constitution. Captain Playoff #3 (Sad and Alone) is the big downer finish to Private Little War.

I love Ship in Orbit (Big). I’m not a big fan of New Sexy Exotic just because it sounds so much like Vina’s theme from The Cage. Smooth Neutral is lovely. Fight on Captain’s theme is a lot like Kirk and Mitchell’s fight from Where No Man but with a little more oomph. Watch out for that fake Andorian, Captain!

These tracks are wonderful and a real selling point for the 15 disc set. They would never have been a part of any “episode” soundtrack.

Then there are Courage’s re-recordings of various first season cues. It’s interesting to hear Courage conducting Steiner.

Charlie X: It’s a keeper! (Interesting that both Steiner and Courage re-recorded different parts of this score on different days for the second season.)

Chime in everybody! It’s Season Two!

I’ll be back on 6/21 for Gerald Fried’s Catspaw.
Old June 21 2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Re: Let's Listen to Star Trek: Season Two!

Hmmm. What a tremendous response...

Catspaw! Man, I just cannot get into this score. Iíve been trying for a week. When I got the Box I went through this pretty quick because I knew I had greater things ahead. But since this week is JUST about Catspaw, Iíve been concentrating on just it. And, wellÖ Man, I just cannot get into this score.

It is quite a change in mood moving into season 2. But I also know that anything that I like in Catspaw Iím going to get again in Fridayís Child.

Friedís action theme is terrific. Itís interesting that he ties it directly to Captain Kirk when it plays more as music for the show in general.

He has this propulsive music in Orbiting Ship that sounds like squad car music a la Star Trek.

Ok, I did the mysterious music in Fog Planet. But I donít like the ďsound FX-yĒ music in Witches.

I guess Fried was really hit or miss with me. (Not a big Shore Leave fan either.) This isnít a score I revisit on purpose very often.

What does everyone else think?

Next up on July 7, Friday's Child! (Maybe... I need to go look at the liner notes...)
Old June 22 2014, 02:47 AM   #3
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Apart from the ship in orbit fanfares, I'm not big on "Catspaw" either. My big Fried episodes are "The Paradise Syndrome," "Shore Leave," and to an extent "Amok Time."

It might look like I'm not a Fried fan, but my outsized love for "The Paradise Syndrome" and the mural theme from Roots say different. He's great.
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 02:58 PM   #4
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

OMG, the fight music in this episode is amazing. This is a great score, this and Friday's Child are my favorites after The Doomsday Machine. Really great, muscular stuff which gets regular play in my playlist.

I wasn't a fan of his "covered wagons" theme for the Ship in Orbit, and I see Bob Justman wasn't so hot for them either, since he substituted Alexander Courage's library music in their stead for the most part.
Old June 23 2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I wasn't a fan of his "covered wagons" theme for the Ship in Orbit, and I see Bob Justman wasn't so hot for them either, since he substituted Alexander Courage's library music in their stead for the most part.
I'll have to go check that out. I'm not a fan of the episode itself either.

BTW, here is June / July:

6/28/67 Metamorphosis
7/7/67 Friday's Child
7/10/67? The Apple (This says ďRecorded with Fridayís Child", but it lists a date of 7/10)
7/12/67 Who Mourns for Adonais
7/12/67 Charlie X Library
7/19/67 Amok Time
7/19/67 Wolf in the Fold
Old June 23 2014, 07:31 PM   #6
feek61
Captain

Somehow I missed this thread but I love what you are doing!! I listen to the set frequently but I will also concentrate my attention on specific parts based on your anniversary dates!!

Thanks for the heads-up
Old June 24 2014, 05:18 AM   #7
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

feek61 wrote: View Post
Somehow I missed this thread but I love what you are doing!! I listen to the set frequently but I will also concentrate my attention on specific parts based on your anniversary dates!!

Thanks for the heads-up
47 years is a weird anniversary, but I didn't want to wait for 50. I didn't post the first season here, but I should have. Glad you like it.

I've never watched TOS as a week to week show. But really getting into the production order of the scores has been an eye opener. For example there were no season two scores recorded after 1967!
Old June 24 2014, 05:26 AM   #8
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Geez. On Amazon, the CD set of the soundtrack costs three times as much as the BR set of the series!
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:05 PM   #9
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

It’s $225 on the LaLa Land website, That’s never going to change. There are a TON of costs involved in releasing scores. That’s what keeps a lot of releases of old music from happening.
Old June 24 2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

And cheap at the price! (I admit, getting the money together for this set was a non-trivial endeavor.) The fact that a year and a half later I still listen to this all the time certainly makes it a worthwhile purchase.
Old June 24 2014, 07:41 PM   #11
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

QFT!

I don't think more than a "tiny march of days" goes by before I listen to it again. I'm always going back to this music.
Old June 27 2014, 04:53 PM   #12
CrazyMatt
Commander

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Itís $225 on the LaLa Land website, Thatís never going to change. There are a TON of costs involved in releasing scores. Thatís what keeps a lot of releases of old music from happening.
And it's worth every penny.
Old June 27 2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Not it my financial situation. And with all you guys shelling out big bucks I'd feel shitty about torrenting it, so I guess I'll have to live without.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I’ve been on vacation, so I haven’t had time to post. I did listen to Metamorphosis and Friday’s Child. (No, I didn’t listen to the drums from The Apple.)

Short answer: I love both of these. Metamorphosis is my favorite Duning score. I generally think his scores get a little long winded even though they are lovely. This one hits just the right pacing. (Although Return to Tomorrow has my favorite track.)

Friday’s Child just rocks. It’s like Amok Time’s less famous little brother. His Enterprise fanfares here are my favorites. This really is the “sound” of season two. (Although obviously we get a lot of Amok Time and Doomsday Machine.)

Next up:
7/12/67 Who Mourns for Adonais
7/12/67 Charlie X Library
Old July 12 2014, 03:03 PM   #15
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Who Mourns for Adonais: Fred Steiner

It’s funny, because there seems to be a difference of opinion on how much John Powell reused of the original for How to Train Your Dragon 2. I think it’s not much, and it’s all different arrangements. And the new stuff is stunning. Other people think it's a lot of recycling.

I’ve had a hard time getting into Who Mourns because it starts out with Corbomite Maneuver and then seems to go through Steiner’s Greatest Hits. Not that I don’t love these scores, but if you’re going to track an episode, then track it and give us another full score! Because of this I can be a little dismissive of the score as a whole.

Now I've realized I don’t think I give this score a fair shake. Again, when you get into his new stuff it’s stunning. Apollo’s Storm is rightly lauded as a highlight of the series. I especially like End of Apollo. There are some particularly Herrmannesque passages.

At the same time Steiner re-recorded Chess Game and Zap Sam from Charlie X. For whatever reason, I like the season 2 versions a little better. They feel a little tighter. Maybe I associate them with S2 episodes more? It’s amazing that we get a set that is so complete that we get these.

Next week: Amok Time!